Street Art

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by booze and cake, 24 Jul 2017.

1. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

Love the Angry Dan limericks :thumbsup:

booze and cake likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    booze and cake

booze and cake probably out cycling

I laughed out loud when I came across these dotted around Shoreditch this afternoon. Its long overdue but finally these muppets have been issued with a public health warning:laugh:.
    WVL0K7q.jpg
    e1ZY5x9.jpg
    mcDpby4.jpg

Oldbloke, DP, Katherine and 6 others like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    booze and cake

And this is absolutely brilliant. I love this story. Have you heard the legend of Big Dave's Gusset? Its a bit of long lasting graffiti banter between work colleagues, that ends up being seen by millions of people on a busy commuter line into London, and becomes part of the folklore of the city itself. It appears the mystery is solved as Big Dave himself comes across a poem written featuring the graffiti. This blog post shows what lurks at the back of our minds waiting to be awakened, and I love that of all of the wonders of London that flashed into his mind after being away for years, it was 'Big Dave Gusset'^_^
    https://www.charlieconnelly.com/lost-london-elegy-for-big-daves-gusset/
    And this is the blog post with the full story from Big Dave himself.
    http://intheaquarium.blogspot.com/2006/10/big-daves-gussetin-june-2005-i-wrote.html
    And someone has even made a song/video about it on Youtube:laugh:

Excellent, I can't get enough of this stuff:okay:

Last edited: 30 Apr 2019
  4. OP
    OP
    booze and cake

Here's a couple from west London, Acton to be precise. First up we have a collaboration between ATM and Karen Francesca. ATM whose numerous birds have featured throughout these pages painted the bird, which is a kestrel, and Karen painted the wild flower meadow beneath it. The work was done as part of a project to try and promote biodiversity in this built up area, which also includes planters for growing vegetables, wild flowers and insect houses.
    03T5hjn.jpg
    And not far away on the end wall of Barwick House is the Acton Giant by Thierry Noir. This Plug from the Beano type character was apparently done as a reminder to children to regularly brush their teeth.
    KHqQHNX.jpg

Last edited: 5 Mar 2019
    Oldbloke, DP, Katherine and 4 others like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    booze and cake

I saw another one of the Brexit series in a side street off Brick Lane today. This time we have lying, braying, chinless hate monger Nigel Farage. I do like how they have made his teeth extra yellow:laugh:.
    ns0tSx5.jpg
    And thanks to a new work that's signed in Leake St, I've been able to identify the artist who did the excellent recent brickwork animals. Annoyingly it has a crappy tagged scrawled all over it already, but the excellent elephants still shine through.
    TlEev5r.jpg
    And he did an excellent bull shark at last years Cheltenham Paint Festival, which can be seen half way down the page on this link: https://inspiringcity.com/2018/09/1...-2018-the-best-murals-and-where-to-find-them/
    And finally after successfully dodging the rain this afternoon, I came across an excellent portrait of purple rain performer, Prince. It's by Aske and is located in Great Eastern Street.
    c00cc0S.jpg

Oldbloke, DP, Katherine and 5 others like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    booze and cake

s6RG0jS.jpg
    Here's one on the pavement, I haven't seen many there.
    G48ehCt.jpg
    And here's another one on the floor, which explains the correction, its never long before a pedant comes along:laugh:
    1KfA7Rc.jpg
    Jeremy Beadle?
    GlhYLlS.jpg
    A new one in Shoreditch
    ZwHRWXe.jpg
    And this is different and made me screech to a halt in Walthamstow.
    Mcw7vvb.jpg

7. OP
    OP
    booze and cake

We have witnessed French artist Zabou's work evolve and get increasingly detailed over the course of this thread. Her most recent ones, David Bowie/Ziggy Stardust and Jack Nicholson from the film 'The Shining', (both on page 68) are excellent. I noticed recently she had returned to one of her previous murals on Brick Lane and has given it a revamp. The mural itself is of American street artist BK Foxx, who has two works in London I've photographed, back on page 59 and 60. Some more examples of her excellent and often massive murals can be seen here: https://www.graffitistreet.com/interview-with-bk-foxx-iwd-special/

It used to look like this:
    RYsO74G.jpg
    And it now looks like this:
    VItcUeL.jpg
    Much improved and great to see the progression.

And this by Jim Vision is taken from American comic book The Umbrella Academy.
    FQMfeVY.jpg

Last edited: 11 Mar 2019
    Poacher, Oldbloke, DP and 4 others like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    booze and cake

pZFeBkF.jpg
    Until I got home to check, I thought this was from a forthcoming Teletubbies album, or worse, a Teletubbies in space movie. In case you were wondering, the sign obscures a 'B' so its reads 'this beat is a chemical', which is the name of the album and the band. I've never heard of them, but they can't be as bad as the Teletubbies, so it felt like we all dodged a bullet there, phew^_^.
    xVTFYyo.jpg
    Old St.
    hCELQo1.jpg
    And this is new up this week in Shoreditch.
    yema1qT.jpg

9. OP
    OP
    booze and cake

A few new ones in Leake St. Really like this child defiantly screaming at the monster. Its by Bristol based Pali, who has other works featured on pages 51, 61 and 68.
    8yVSlP6.jpg
    Ninja attack!
    kY1xbOC.jpg
    And finally a new Amy Winehouse by Gustavo Nenao, who also did the Rowan Atkinson/Mr Bean portrait on page 71.
    cmvQZP6.jpg

Poacher, Oldbloke, DP and 3 others like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    booze and cake

A new Ant Carver has appeared on the side of a pub in Bethnal Green.
    jhnTe0D.jpg
    It must have only just been, or is not quite finished, as look above her eyes and he's got paste-ups with close ups of the eyes to copy from.
    oUUpDNH.jpg
    And this one gets bonus points for being relevant to the new sign which has gone up, advertising the upcoming ULEZ-Ultra Low Emission Zone^_^
    x6iW42o.jpg

11. deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset Full time tea drinker

I noticed a lot of POW RIP works in Brimmington Park (Old Kent road) and Googled POW Street art and came up with Paint on walls, which was a project that came to an end. Yesterday, however, I spoke with a tagger busy at work in the park and she basically confirmed what you'd already told us, also that he was pretty well respected. I'll post pictures of some of the better tags in the park tomorrow.

Poacher, booze and cake and Reynard like this.
  12. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

Peterborough

54354268_2223304021316481_1632718236887810048_n.jpg

Poacher, Oldbloke, DP and 6 others like this.
  13. deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset Full time tea drinker

I think POW might have been called Veko*. A couple of the Brimmington Park works put the same names to the same piece.
    P1010125.JPG P1010133.JPG P1010135.JPG
    * Correction. Veko was a graffiti artist called James Dutka who was killed by a tube train in 2002. It must be a shared memorial.

Last edited: 21 Mar 2019
    Poacher, Katherine, DP and 3 others like this.
  14. OP
    OP
    booze and cake

@deptfordmarmoset good detective work:okay:. And from one to another, here's Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock Holmes by Zabou, who is on a roll at the moment.
    37EdTrb.jpg

I'm loving the Keith Flint one too, thanks @Fnaar

Last edited: 22 Mar 2019
    Poacher, Katherine, DP and 3 others like this.
  15. OP
    OP
    booze and cake

Evil hobbit Philip Green.
    DzTAqSW.jpg
    This is from an upcoming music video but as it features the London skyline I had to grab it. The real Gherkin building is only about 0.5 miles away, directly behind the building its painted on.
    2noLcbH.jpg
    This really caught my attention amongst the scrawls.
    8r0o9dt.jpg
    And this is new on Pedley St
    nXxLIOi.jpg

Poacher, Oldbloke, Katherine and 4 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice