Street Art

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
And this is absolutely brilliant. I love this story. Have you heard the legend of Big Dave's Gusset? Its a bit of long lasting graffiti banter between work colleagues, that ends up being seen by millions of people on a busy commuter line into London, and becomes part of the folklore of the city itself. It appears the mystery is solved as Big Dave himself comes across a poem written featuring the graffiti. This blog post shows what lurks at the back of our minds waiting to be awakened, and I love that of all of the wonders of London that flashed into his mind after being away for years, it was 'Big Dave Gusset'^_^
https://www.charlieconnelly.com/lost-london-elegy-for-big-daves-gusset/
And this is the blog post with the full story from Big Dave himself.
http://intheaquarium.blogspot.com/2006/10/big-daves-gussetin-june-2005-i-wrote.html
And someone has even made a song/video about it on Youtube:laugh:

Excellent, I can't get enough of this stuff:okay:

Last edited:
OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Here's a couple from west London, Acton to be precise. First up we have a collaboration between ATM and Karen Francesca. ATM whose numerous birds have featured throughout these pages painted the bird, which is a kestrel, and Karen painted the wild flower meadow beneath it. The work was done as part of a project to try and promote biodiversity in this built up area, which also includes planters for growing vegetables, wild flowers and insect houses.
03T5hjn.jpg

And not far away on the end wall of Barwick House is the Acton Giant by Thierry Noir. This Plug from the Beano type character was apparently done as a reminder to children to regularly brush their teeth.
KHqQHNX.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I saw another one of the Brexit series in a side street off Brick Lane today. This time we have lying, braying, chinless hate monger Nigel Farage. I do like how they have made his teeth extra yellow:laugh:.
ns0tSx5.jpg

And thanks to a new work that's signed in Leake St, I've been able to identify the artist who did the excellent recent brickwork animals. Annoyingly it has a crappy tagged scrawled all over it already, but the excellent elephants still shine through.
TlEev5r.jpg

And he did an excellent bull shark at last years Cheltenham Paint Festival, which can be seen half way down the page on this link: https://inspiringcity.com/2018/09/1...-2018-the-best-murals-and-where-to-find-them/
And finally after successfully dodging the rain this afternoon, I came across an excellent portrait of purple rain performer, Prince. It's by Aske and is located in Great Eastern Street.
c00cc0S.jpg

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
We have witnessed French artist Zabou's work evolve and get increasingly detailed over the course of this thread. Her most recent ones, David Bowie/Ziggy Stardust and Jack Nicholson from the film 'The Shining', (both on page 68) are excellent. I noticed recently she had returned to one of her previous murals on Brick Lane and has given it a revamp. The mural itself is of American street artist BK Foxx, who has two works in London I've photographed, back on page 59 and 60. Some more examples of her excellent and often massive murals can be seen here: https://www.graffitistreet.com/interview-with-bk-foxx-iwd-special/

It used to look like this:
RYsO74G.jpg

And it now looks like this:
VItcUeL.jpg

Much improved and great to see the progression.

And this by Jim Vision is taken from American comic book The Umbrella Academy.
FQMfeVY.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
pZFeBkF.jpg

Until I got home to check, I thought this was from a forthcoming Teletubbies album, or worse, a Teletubbies in space movie. In case you were wondering, the sign obscures a 'B' so its reads 'this beat is a chemical', which is the name of the album and the band. I've never heard of them, but they can't be as bad as the Teletubbies, so it felt like we all dodged a bullet there, phew^_^.
xVTFYyo.jpg

Old St.
hCELQo1.jpg

And this is new up this week in Shoreditch.
yema1qT.jpg

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
A new Ant Carver has appeared on the side of a pub in Bethnal Green.
jhnTe0D.jpg

It must have only just been, or is not quite finished, as look above her eyes and he's got paste-ups with close ups of the eyes to copy from.
oUUpDNH.jpg

And this one gets bonus points for being relevant to the new sign which has gone up, advertising the upcoming ULEZ-Ultra Low Emission Zone^_^
x6iW42o.jpg

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
A couple of tribute ones, first up this in Hackney. I don't know who POW was or what happened to him, but seems he was still very young and should have had his life ahead of him. RIP.
View attachment 454837
View attachment 454838
And fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld died last week after a much longer innings, and this tribute by Pegasus has popped up on Great Eastern St. The text up the side reads 'there is no beauty without strangeness'
View attachment 454839
And remember the recent brickwork cheetah chasing the antelope, well on exactly the same piece of wall, the same artist Pad303 has returned....
View attachment 454840
...and this time left us with a brickwork giraffe and calf.
View attachment 454841
And finally we have another new country to add to our collection. My brother is currently in Lithuania and has sent me this. I like how the red 'X' on the building looks like the target for our catapult wielding character.
View attachment 454842
I noticed a lot of POW RIP works in Brimmington Park (Old Kent road) and Googled POW Street art and came up with Paint on walls, which was a project that came to an end. Yesterday, however, I spoke with a tagger busy at work in the park and she basically confirmed what you'd already told us, also that he was pretty well respected. I'll post pictures of some of the better tags in the park tomorrow.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
A couple of tribute ones, first up this in Hackney. I don't know who POW was or what happened to him, but seems he was still very young and should have had his life ahead of him. RIP.
I think POW might have been called Veko*. A couple of the Brimmington Park works put the same names to the same piece.
P1010125.JPG
P1010133.JPG
P1010135.JPG

* Correction. Veko was a graffiti artist called James Dutka who was killed by a tube train in 2002. It must be a shared memorial.

Last edited:
OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Evil hobbit Philip Green.
DzTAqSW.jpg

This is from an upcoming music video but as it features the London skyline I had to grab it. The real Gherkin building is only about 0.5 miles away, directly behind the building its painted on.
2noLcbH.jpg

This really caught my attention amongst the scrawls.
8r0o9dt.jpg

And this is new on Pedley St
nXxLIOi.jpg

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Theresa May still can't see her Brexit deal is a polished turd that's about to get flushed, so moves are afoot to take back control. This govt droid is clearly faulty.
s0UCArG.jpg

And from droids from the dark side, we move onto hero droids from the rebel alliance. Pad303's most recent work is a departure from his series of animals.
dgjvZ1W.jpg
TR13wWq.jpg

This time we have an X-fighter from the Star Wars films, and this one must belong to Luke Skywalker as you can see his flying companion R2D2^_^.
laFJYaZ.jpg

Top Bottom