Street Art

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Here's an Artful Dodger near Elephant & Castle referencing the recent controversy surrounding Liam Neeson. 'Mistaken' being a take on Neeson's 'Taken' and 'Taken 2' films.
5MY52OZ.jpg

2 more birds by Aspire, one in Hackney one in Lambeth.
fFGF4jV.jpg

wzcwPmD.jpg

So nice to see the sun shining, let there be light!
9F0VKEK.jpg

iu50vyk.jpg

SteveF

Couple in New Coulston Street, apologies if posted previously...

IMG_20190327_153531.jpg
IMG_20190327_153449.jpg

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
No worries @SteveF we've had them but no problem seeing them again, the Jack Nicholson is brilliant and is a fairly recent one by Zabou. The girl is by Jimmy C, and is from way back in the early days of this thread, and I don't know who did the zombie girl, but I remember posting it in reply to @AndyRM 's post about his little one having a meltdown back on page 17^_^ https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/street-art.221565/post-4990995

You've got to watch out for the zombies, they tend to hunt in packs, nobody is safe, look they've even got Mother Teresa:eek:
z6nmAK9.jpg

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
A new work has gone up in Union St next to the Fagin and Artful Dodger portraits from page 67. Its by the same artist that did those, Trafford Parsons.
gVsyfsB.jpg

Its not Mark Wahlberg:whistle:, the smiley face on the cap is a clue.
bPuy1M8.jpg

Its one of the founding fathers of the acid house and rave music scene in UK, Danny Rampling. Rampling went to Ibiza in 1987 for a week with some others, including fellow DJ legend Paul Oakenfold. That trip, which was apparently for Oakenfold's birthday, was a historic event for music in the UK. Upon their return both set up some of the founding rave club nights in London. Rampling set of Shoom, a club night in a basement gym on Thrale Street, just a few streets away from this artwork. Paul Oakenfold set up a night at the Project Club in Streatham. More info: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...don-club-that-kicked-off-rave-culture-195865/
Both featured on the recent BBC series called 'Can you feel it - How dance music changed the world'. Fellow legendary DJ Carl Cox also played at both, I think he even supplied the sound system for Shoom. The series was in 3 parts, part 1 was an interesting history lesson, and the 3rd part featured the hideous, soulless, sterile EDM movement, but the 2nd episode was gold for my generation, the hands in the air rave generation of the late 80's and early 90's. I cannot see it showing on iplayer but I found it on Youtube.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxsnVD5J-_0&t=2714s
Oakenfold visits and talks about the site of his old Project Club in Streatham from 24-26 mins in the above clip. In it he says the building should have a plaque it was that important. The building today is just a Workspace building, and I'm sure most of the occupants have no idea of the buildings place in UK music history. I went along today to have a look. As he says there is no trace of its former history.
gxeIMDt.jpg

And I went to find the location of the old Shoom club near Southwark bridge too. I found it, after all these years it is still a gym.
0TsR6ag.jpg

Again there is nothing to indicate the history. I agree with Paul Oakenfold, both places are worthy of a plaque, but also I love how such plain looking buildings hold some amazing secrets, just waiting to be discovered if you scratch beneath the surface. I've been past the building in Streatham 100's of times, and Thrale St is just by major cycle super highway, CS7, which I've been along 1000's of times, and I've been completely oblivious. It's amazing what you learn from just cycling about:okay:

Last edited:
OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
@Reynard that sounds like the huge chihuahua on Crisp Street by Irony and Boe, from way back at the beginning of this thread on page 2. It was the biggest one I'd seen at the time by far, and is still mighty impressive, this one?
oNzklUe.jpg

Here's a few small ones I came across on Great eastern St. We've had a few 'face the strange' ones before, and they continue to be that, full English anyone?
5kCVHAk.jpg

Do you recognise the text from the top left corner?......They are lyrics from the song 'changes' by David Bowie.

The Donald likes to think of himself as some kind of cool mafia type. He's been called many things in his time, but I'm pretty sure he's never been called cool by anyone but himself. He's much more in the worlds most embarrassing dad category.
IvTEEF9.jpg

And this is new in Waterloo.
FbrJgSg.jpg

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
@Reynard its not for me to say what you saw or where......but are you sure:whistle:^_^

The one I posted is right on the route of the 15 bus at Poplar. I spelt the street name wrong above, it should read 'Chrisp st', the exact spot is here on google maps, with the dog clearly visible.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5...129.00354&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i16384!8i8192
Where were you when you spotted it? If you're sure that's not the dog or location, are you able to narrow the location down a bit more? I've not been over that way for a while, so there may of course have been some new additions for me to seek out. My photo above was one of the first I took for this thread so that's a few years old already, maybe the work has faded a bit since then too.

And here's another that can change colour from one moment to the next^_^.
IUbVrce.jpg

@Reynard its not for me to say what you saw or where......but are you sure:whistle:^_^

The one I posted is right on the route of the 15 bus at Poplar. I spelt the street name wrong above, it should read 'Chrisp st', the exact spot is here on google maps, with the dog clearly visible.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5112431,-0.0130125,3a,75y,270h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1ssGPksPKT-jmJV7vbWiPDbA!2e0!6s//geo3.ggpht.com/cbk?panoid=sGPksPKT-jmJV7vbWiPDbA&output=thumbnail&cb_client=maps_sv.tactile.gps&thumb=2&w=203&h=100&yaw=129.00354&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i16384!8i8192
Where were you when you spotted it? If you're sure that's not the dog or location, are you able to narrow the location down a bit more? I've not been over that way for a while, so there may of course have been some new additions for me to seek out. My photo above was one of the first I took for this thread so that's a few years old already, maybe the work has faded a bit since then too.

I'm really not sure. :scratch: But then I might be, umm, barking up the wrong tree, given that I was trying so hard not to get lost. Urban driving is not my forte. I have it in my head that the dog was white, longhaired-ish and on an older building in a much more built-up area.

I would guess closer to the Rotherhithe Tunnel iirc, so Limehouse perhaps? I was driving on the A1261 and do recall seeing a road sign for Surrey Quays nearby. But I really don't know the area, so sorry, can't pin it down any further. It was north of the river though.

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Yep inner London driving requires full concentration at all times and is definitely not a relaxing sight seeing activity. Cycling is much better for street art spotting, 95% of my finds are by bike. At the moment I'm driving about 200 miles a week, and cycling about 200 miles a week, all in London, so need eyes in the back of my head, which helps with this thread^_^. I'll try and get over that way soon.

And while we're on cars, I think the car in this is an old Ford Mustang, like the one used by Steve McQueen in the classic film Bullitt.
heDHhQo.jpg

Yep inner London driving requires full concentration at all times and is definitely not a relaxing sight seeing activity. Cycling is much better for street art spotting, 95% of my finds are by bike. At the moment I'm driving about 200 miles a week, and cycling about 200 miles a week, all in London, so need eyes in the back of my head, which helps with this thread^_^. I'll try and get over that way soon.

And while we're on cars, I think the car in this is an old Ford Mustang, like the one used by Steve McQueen in the classic film Bullitt.
View attachment 460548

Yeap, that does look like an old Mustang. Goes like s**t off a shovel in a straight line, but don't you go pointing it at a corner... :laugh:

I went to pick up a bike I'd bought, but otherwise, when in London, I'm either on foot or I'll hop onto public transport. More often than not, it's far quicker. When I need to go to Cambridge I'll take the bike on the train, and then just ride to where I have to be.

I love driving, just not urban driving...

Top Bottom