Street Art

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
From a quick look through some of the earlier pages I don't think this one has previously appeared.

Untitled_zpslr8fan5y.png

Prestwich.
I have seen it many times before when visiting child 1, but it was only today if occurred to me to take a picture. According to son in law, Mark E Smith lived there up to his death.

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
It was World Earth Day yesterday, and it was the hottest Bank Holiday Monday since records began. Any remaining climate change deniers are in full ostrich head in the sand mode. I attended the Extinction Rebellion protests across London at the weekend, which made for a great cycling day out, link: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/post-5603885
These two next ones are perhaps lacking in artistic merit, and I don't expect they will last for long, but I'm including them as they were done as part of the above protest, and so represent a specific event at an exact time and place, and I'm sure they'll trigger all sorts of memories of the day when I look back on this thread in years to come. This first one is on the steps from the Embankment up to Waterloo bridge, which the protesters have kept closed to traffic all week.
TeOXJix.jpg

And this is on the bridge itself. I like this photo because I'm standing in the middle of the road when I took it, something I'd never normally be able to do without being killed to death:laugh:, and because it shows London old and new, which is a good backdrop for a message that's highlighting this is a problem that affects everybody.
19ZNDs0.jpg

The skyscrapers in the picture, in London's 'square mile', its financial district, are also symbolic of a system so obsessed with raking in money....
Cz3Lm3w.jpg

uf8NVyD.jpg

...at all costs, that you can't help but feel we've got the balance in our current model badly wrong. I'm not pretending I have the answers, but lots of little things can add up to make a big difference, and we've got to start somewhere. London like Rome, wasn't built in a day, its been 2000 years in the making, and I'd like to think there would be something more than remains....
A3cEjlM.jpg

....left here 2000 years from now. There's lots we need to do, but here's something to get the ball rolling.
Mk1qmil.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Back on page 16 I did a piece on Banksy and King Robbo, link here: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/street-art.221565/post-4989555,
and in it I pondered who at each of London's separate 30 or so Boroughs, decided what pieces of street art or graffiti were allowed to remain, and what was removed. Some Council's realise street art adds value to the area, and brings in tourists and other visitors who seek it out. Other Council's are much less tolerant. I came across the following article this week, (which features the giant chihuahua in Popular we've seen and discussed on recent pages) and was pleased to see that Tower Hamlets, the Council in which the giant chihuahua is located, have delegated the decision on evaluating artistic merit to local art and youth groups. Well played Tower Hamlets:okay:, lets hope this progressive stance influences some other boroughs. This is quite a balanced article by the Evening Standard's standards, and muses over the question I asked in the first post of this thread, is it art or vandalism.
https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/esmagazine/graffiti-art-or-vandalism-london-a4119231.html

At the other end of the scale, one Council who have a pretty intolerant view on street art and graffiti, and cycling for that matter, as shown here: https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ls-actions-show-it-puts-cars-first-not-people is Westminster.

Marble Arch is one such place I'd never expect to see any street art or graffiti permitted, any done there I'd expect it to be removed ASAP. But last week it was squatted and camped on by the Extinction Rebellion protest. (This pic is from Waterloo not Marble Arch)
52k9n2q.jpg

They may have vacated, but evidence of their occupation still remains on the grass.
7RI3kus.jpg

And on the local London news last night, they had a report that a possible new Banksy had appeared at the site. I went and had a look today. Is it a Banksy, or a Banksy-alike, was he at the protest? Was he in one of the tents on the above site? How did he do it unnoticed in the middle of a massive protest, and under the gaze of loads of police, CCTV and the world's press? Who knows. It not big, its on the bottom left of this pic next to the famous arch.
kTUHSWJ.jpg

*zoom*
yc4ykVE.jpg

Banksy is still the only person I've seen have his works preserved behind perspex, in a number of different London boroughs. His Basqiat one at the Barbican on the link I posted above, was covered in perspex within a week or two of being finished. There was more people taking pictures of the Banksy today than there was the famous arch, which I'm sure Westminster are seething about^_^. There is a Banksy in Westminster, but its not protected, and it probably only remains as its high up and awkward to get to. Seen again here from back on page 6. https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/street-art.221565/post-4909879

It will be interesting to see what happens with this one, I'll try and pass by occasionally over the coming weeks to see if it survives.

Last edited:

Bazzer

Here are some from Cadishead.
I had forgotten about these as I rarely travel along this particular section of road, but when I was out with child 2 the other day, I was reminded, so took detour on the way home tonight.

mfMHjNP.jpg
mfMHjNP.jpg

63uRPdL.jpg

xdCyhmf.jpg

Reflections of the area's development and lost past and a not too far away bridge across the Manchester ship canal.

And on the opposite side of the road:

tw13Lil.jpg

iOt03SZ.jpg

The house looks to have been stranded by the industrial development and it now appears to be used as an office or store from the secure side of the development.

There is another wall picture up the road which was a bit awkward to get to this evening, but I shall try to get a photo of on another occasion.

Attachments

• mfMHjNP.jpg
    mfMHjNP.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 63uRPdL.jpg
    63uRPdL.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 1
  • xdCyhmf.jpg
    xdCyhmf.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 1
  • tw13Lil.jpg
    tw13Lil.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 0
  • iOt03SZ.jpg
    iOt03SZ.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 0
OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Really like those @Bazzer, and extra bonus points for the all the bikes^_^:okay:

I found out today that the symbol used by Extinction Rebellion, the same one on the little flag the girl is holding in the Banksy I posted at Marble Arch above, was created in 2011, by someone known as ESP. The origins are in this article, which contains a number of works regulars may recognise from these pages: https://ecohustler.com/article/the-origins-and-rise-of-the-extinction-symbol/

I knew I'd seen it before I knew anything about Extinction Rebellion, and after a rummage through my old photos I found one I took in 2016, of a mosaic of the symbol, on a railway arch in Mile End. I never got round to posting it here, and I've only just realised it was done by Carrie Reichardt, who spent 20 years with help of others covering her house in Chiswick with amazing techni-colour mosaics. I visited it back on page 20, link here: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/street-art.221565/post-5018447
Here's the Mile End mosaic
OqtuSFY.jpg

This is in Leake St and made me chuckle.
dxq63ir.jpg

Here's a black and white cat, also in Leake St
8yNWtN5.jpg

And the final one on the black and white theme, another Japanese scene and a masterclass in lighting, by Dan Kitchener, in Brick Lane.
3GUlckt.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
These cannabis plants growing through some bent prison bars in Notting Hill, is I assume a legalise cannabis reference.
vj5nuBe.jpg

This is in Camden
M1v9YOq.jpg

This is in Waterloo and is a familiar phrase on tube and rail platforms.
SL78RJj.jpg

And some monster slaying children by Pali
C2elbCR.jpg

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
This is in Love Lane in Stockwell and is called 'fleeting dream'. It's by Berlin based Japanese street artist Aito Kitzaki, who also did the ninja in Leake St I posted recently.
CK4nmXO.jpg

And continuing the Japanese theme, over on Ravey St is this fish which looks like a Koi carp.
fXIGF47.jpg

Bazzer

This is in Love Lane in Stockwell and is called 'fleeting dream'. It's by Berlin based Japanese street artist Aito Kitzaki, who also did the ninja in Leake St I posted recently.
View attachment 464841
And continuing the Japanese theme, over on Ravey St is this fish which looks like a Koi carp.
View attachment 464842

I like the fish one. I could pass that on several days and my eyes would see something slightly different every time.

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
This is on Schlater St and has taken multiple cycle-by's to catch, as there always seems to be cars parked in front of it.
2VxTAts.jpg

Similar colours on this new one, round the corner from the above, opposite the entrance to Shoreditch High St station.
nwrtgGS.jpg

And this on Hanbury St had me fooled for a second, until I realised the small child doing the graffiti is not a real child at all.
asRl6g5.jpg

Top Bottom