Street Art

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by booze and cake, 24 Jul 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    booze and cake

booze and cake probably out cycling

This is on Schlater St and has taken multiple cycle-by's to catch, as there always seems to be cars parked in front of it.
    2VxTAts.jpg
    Similar colours on this new one, round the corner from the above, opposite the entrance to Shoreditch High St station.
    nwrtgGS.jpg
    And this on Hanbury St had me fooled for a second, until I realised the small child doing the graffiti is not a real child at all.
    asRl6g5.jpg

Toshiba Boy, DP, Poacher and 4 others like this.
  2. Bazzer

Bazzer Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.

This is the other art work I referred to at #1154 above. Also Cadishead.

o4lGLg0.jpg

Toshiba Boy, DP, Poacher and 3 others like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    booze and cake

@Bazzer, another good one, I like the dog looking on longingly. Hopefully in years to come the high street will still have some actual local shops, rather than artists impressions of them.

I came across some mushrooms while foraging in Hackney.
    08rcBFF.jpg
    Not sure if they're the mind altering magic variety. If so you'd expect things could start getting a bit weird.....
    ik2HxL2.jpg
    W1uMrCj.jpg
    URzudrp.jpg
    ....well they just did:laugh:
    gBrGT1P.jpg

4. Bazzer

You have so many in London brightening up the streets. Where I work in Manchester/Salford there is SFA, despite working or being close to many "regenerations" of the area.:sad:
    My next contribition to this thread is likely to be slightly different.:okay:

Katherine and booze and cake like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    booze and cake

@Bazzer we've had a few posts from @Katherine and @skudupnorth, but there's lots more Manchester street art we've not had posted here. Following this thread you may be forgiven for thinking London is plastered with art works, but that's not really the case. It's a big old place and there are certain areas its more widespread, but it's easy to go out in London and not see any all day.

The trick is to know some places to look, and to just keep your eyes open everywhere else^_^. I came across a good quote recently while doing some research on a piece of old graffiti I'm still in the process of writing. It was on a George Melly BBC programme in 1978 in which he quotes a directive from surrealist Andre Bretton, which applies to walking but could just as easily be a cycling mantra, “expect all good to come from an urge to wander out ready to meet anything”.

I found this link with some streets in Manchester that could be worth visiting. I'm not familiar with the area so I've no idea if any of these works still exist, but if you are near any of these places it may be worth periodically popping by to see if anything new and inspiring has gone up.. https://www.blocal-travel.com/street-art/manchester-street-art-guide/
    I came across this today which made me chuckle, and its actually based on real history.
    DJWmYQh.jpg
    The Bow Street Runners have been called London's first professional police force. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bow_Street_Runners

And in Bethnal Green there's a great new David Attenborough work by Jerome Davenport/Keytones6000.
    gR1KGph.jpg
    The text reads:
    ILPKyWD.jpg

Last edited: 6 May 2019
    DP, Poacher, Katherine and 4 others like this.
  6. Bazzer

Roadside cut outs of industrial workers.

enSsisL.jpg

2DJeKKk.jpg

1HgwURL.jpg

p5NZtVi.jpg

These were installed about a month ago on the side of Irlam railway station, on the main road which runs between Salford and Warrington. Although the concrete bases upon which they stand were in place several weeks earlier.
    By way of some background for those out of the area, Irlam railway station, which is on the Manchester to Liverpool line, was built in the late 19th century. The style of the original building is similar to others on the line such as Glazebury. British Rail and more recently Network Rail either hacked the buildings or simply left them to crumble, in some instances fencing the original building off and installing shelters for passengers.
    Thanks to some local efforts, (and I think I good deal of money from the founder of Talk Talk who is from the area), the train station has been transformed with a cafe/pub and cycle hub and former train signals standing proudly on the junction which leads to the Manchester bound line.

Katherine, GM, DP and 3 others like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    booze and cake

This is obviously by the same person who did the graffiti-ing child near the top of this page, this time the child is getting a piggy-back.
    uSCLp03.jpg
    And I found another fish by the same person who did the one on the previous page
    qdBqOyH.jpg
    This is new on Holywell Lane
    5avLuc1.jpg
    And I'm liking the look of this work in progress, on Great Eastern St.
    XAOPRZz.jpg

8. OP
    OP
    booze and cake

We have a new country to add to our collection. Fiona has contributed a few countries to this thread, and she sent me this from her recent trip to Finland. This is somewhere around Helsinki.
    RNW6Bfs.jpg
    I found another of the child paste-ups that have popped up over the last few weeks......
    NSBsxIi.jpg
    ....which is right next to this.
    gefCvbY.jpg
    Otto Schade has re-styled his bull on the side of the 'bull in a china shop' in Shoreditch
    AikKG75.jpg
    Sadly this seems believable.
    ubkY0WM.jpg
    Tucked away in housing estate in Anerley is a new one by Irony.
    jcxpU5U.jpg
    I'm off to Wales tomorrow, and then off to Ireland for a week for my Mum's 70th birthday. I'm taking a bike so plan to squeeze in a day or two cycling, but am hoping to cycle around the wilds of Kerry avoiding urban areas, so don't expect to see any street art. I may post a ride report or two and any nice photos around the forum while I'm away, but otherwise I'll see you on the other side.
    78bJUSa.jpg

Last edited: 13 May 2019
  9. DP

DP Chasse patate

Outta Gent

IMG_20190514_193123.jpg

10. DP

DP Chasse patate

In Booze and Cake style, my bike in front of a pretty good piece. (Will go try get a better shot of this one!)

IMG_20190514_215019.jpg

Last edited: 14 May 2019
  11. DP

DP Chasse patate

Another bike related piece

IMG_20190514_215537.jpg

12. Bristol 17-5-19.jpg

Bristol City Centre

Poacher, booze and cake, GM and 6 others like this.
  13. Bazzer

Have just spent a couple of days in Glasgow sans bike :sad:, with Mrs B and picked up these on Sauchiehall Street
    rOpYRrs.jpg

n7zsT9Z.jpg

Poacher, DP, Toshiba Boy and 6 others like this.
  14. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

Oh wow!!! Those are lovely @Bazzer :okay:

booze and cake and Bazzer like this.
  15. Bazzer

Yes I was impressed. Mrs B less so (who was tired thanks to a bit of incorrect navigation :whistle:), hence the hurried second picture. The 3D effect of the plug socket was particularly striking to my eyes walking along the road.

booze and cake and Reynard like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice