Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
C65C67BD-D9B3-402A-91CE-5B28A9A9F92C.jpeg
8C8F1A08-8837-4493-9480-BD49045ECEEB.jpeg
444215C7-EF8B-4178-9655-7FF0B9DBF764.jpeg

No energy today but was determined to get another bank holiday weekend ride in. Out on the Tricross at midday for a gentle pootle. 35.1 miles with an average of 14.7 mph. Beautiful day and 23 degrees.

postman

Legendary Member
·

Hot but good day.

SC00Vs&w=540&h=282&url=https%3A%2F%2Fd2u2bkuhdva5j0.cloudfront.net%2Factivities-v2%2F2%2F600x600.jpg

STRAVA.COM

Morning Ride to Knaresborough. - Bob Mee's 40.4 mi bike ride

A proper ride out today.It seems years since i went to Knaresborough.

8mph

Veteran
Took the tourer out for 40 minutes, riding the smooth, new roads that have been built on the outskirts of Swindon. I just went out in jeans and a shirt for a change. First lazy ride in a long time and it only took a few seconds to get out the door!
IMG_20190420_173510.jpg

The bike is faster than it feels but best kept to speeds of 16-19 mph on the flat. I had a few funny moments pushing on the brake levers, forgetting that the shifters are bar-ends.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I rode around central London today and visited the sites occupied by the Extinction Rebellion protesters. A number of normally incredibly busy, polluted and dangerous cycling spots have been commandeered and closed to motor traffic. Bikes are welcome of course, and it was so nice to cycle around parts of London I know so well, but only ever see so quiet on Christmas day. It was a treat to reclaim the roads on such a lovely sunny day, and for once the air was comparatively free of diesel fumes.

Here's Park Lane, this is just the northbound lanes, there's another 4 lanes on the other side of the central reservation going south. This road leads into Hyde Park Corner, one of London's busiest junctions, that is relentlessly busy 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, well usually it is,.....today I felt like a hotshot Monopoly playing magnate that owned it all, all mine:bicycle:
uousgY9.jpg

At the top end of Park Lane is Marble Arch, again normally a road I'd avoid on a bike, not today though^_^
RiuSlAI.jpg

And its great to see so many people camping in central London:okay:
a2TkowJ.jpg

Large sections of the consumerist mecca that is Oxford St were also closed. The lack of buses had an immediate effect, with rare wildlife already returning^_^
RUWjfbq.jpg

Oxford Circus as a motor vehicle-free zone is another rare and pleasing sight.
boRtTgw.jpg

Only people and bikes on Whitehall too, this is bloody brilliant:hyper:
kIhwtOu.jpg

Parliament Square is also still held by the cycling nirvana bringing rebels:notworthy:
R6FiNog.jpg

And Waterloo Bridge has been a no-go to traffic all week.
YOXnF4d.jpg

Cycling over Waterloo Bridge on the wrong side of the road would normally result on some brutal Wile E. Coyote style splatting by the onslaught of buses and other traffic, so this is another first for the day^_^
z6DGKsT.jpg

Just being able to stand in the road and take pictures felt weird but good.
19ZNDs0.jpg

I approve of planting new trees on the bridge
nNPBjR0.jpg

They've even managed introduce a skateboard mini-ramp to the bridge. As skateboarding is now an Olympic sport this can be seen as a new training ground for the stars of tomorrow.
CkOczqq.jpg

I've heard the police have since moved in to try and remove the protesters from some sites, but for the few hours I was out, there was a great atmosphere and I saw no trouble at all, not a single arrest, and exemplary behaviour from protesters and police. Well done to all and good luck to them in trying to get some change. They certainly made my cycle around London so much nicer than a normal Easter weekend would be, and its really been quite eye opening and refreshing to see that people can just turn up on mass and take over these places, places I never thought I'd ever see without traffic, its been great. I would wholeheartedly engage in such civil disobedience again:okay:

Last edited:

Dark46

Veteran
As @Donger had put in his ride post , it was a great ride in perfect weather with great company as always. For me it turned out to be just over 31 miles after Claire and I escourted Rob home. We couldn`t really leave it at 28.8 miles ! The ride took in Stonebench , Elmore, Longney,Epney, Upper Framilode, Arlingham,Fetherene, Frampton on Severn and Saul before heading back the way we came to Quedgeley. We are so lucky to live in the area we do with great countryside and veiws within minutes riding. Tha takes my weekly ride to just over 60 miles with a Severn Bridge ride at the weekend.

As with nearly everyone else today, a lovely ride in the sun :sun:
Trying to get more into photography, so took it easy today and stopped a load more times than I normally would (well, thats my excuse anyway ^_^)
Still trying to get to grips with the camera, I know in my head the shot I want, but recreating it is a different story.

Anyway, 27 lovely peaceful miles around the beautiful Northumbrian countryside

upload_2019-4-20_20-12-54.png

upload_2019-4-20_20-13-52.png

upload_2019-4-20_20-14-31.png

Hebron

upload_2019-4-20_20-15-19.png

upload_2019-4-20_20-17-10.png

Aravis

Putrid Donut
A nice route today. Clockwise around the loop below, 114.24 miles:

19Apr20map.jpg

My favourite roadside watering stop at Upton-upon-Severn was cunningly situated at half way, making it very much a ride of two halves. Setting of northwards at about 6:40am it was magnificently quiet for a few hours, if a little cold to begin with. After a series of gentle ups and downs, eventually I turned eastwards crossing the northern part of the Malverns. Here they are carved deeply by river valleys, not quite the miniature mountains they become further south. Distant views were largely obscured by haze, but near at Suckley, on the Worcester side of the hills, this vista appeared:

19Apr20a.JPG

When I've passed this way before I've headed towards Worcester. Turning south-eastwards towards Upton had the benefit of the constantly changing view of the high Malverns. Here, at Leigh Sinton, they're still largely end-on:

19Apr20b.JPG

After watering to the finish at Upton I headed north-westwards on the second half of the ride. Reaching the modest range of hills north of Evesham known as the Lenches, the temperature had risen considerably in time for a succession of five sharpish hills. The blissful cool and quiet of the morning now seemed a long time ago. Still, at the point where I turn for home there was this satisfying view towards the Cotswolds:

19Apr20c.JPG

There was a deep furrow at the edge of the field enabling me to prop my bike, but in doing so I failed to notice a fresh growth of stinging nettles. :sad:

After crossing the Avon at Fladbury there's the pretty village of Charlton, with it's stream and green:

19Apr20d.JPG

From there, just the eastern side of Bredon Hill, finishing along "old faithful", the A38 from Tewkesbury.

One oustanding nature observation: a drumming lesser-spotted woodpecker at Wadborough, near Pershore. I used to expect to hear them most years, but not for quite a while. The RSPB website suggests that nowadays there are some 100 greater-spotteds for every lesser.

Trickedem

Guru
I had an excellent day yesterday after deciding to go on a club ride. It had been organised at the last minute to take advantage of the lovely weather, a 42 mile jaunt out to the coast for fish and chips then 42 miles home again. The ride out was in to a slight headwind but nothing too brisk. This was eased by the gradual descent down to sea level as we edged nearer to the chippy :laugh: I decided against the full fish and chips knowing I had 42 miles of gradual ascent to tackle shortly after and opted for just a small portion of average chips, the only disappointment of the day :laugh: The ride leader decided to stop off at a pub on the way back with 60 miles on the clock in the very pretty village of Laxfield. Half a pint of coke and a stretch later and we were back on our way. We made it back to the start at around 5pm, 7 hours after we had left :ohmy::laugh: With 83 miles covered and my legs feeling relatively good I decided I would regret not taking the opportunity of grabbing my first imperial century so I set off on my own with the plan of cycling in a straight line for 9 miles, turning round and coming home again :laugh: I got in shortly before 6pm having covered 101.4 miles @17.8mph :becool: I'm so pleased with the mileage, and to have done it at that speed is amazing :ohmy: I'm sure the average chips were the key :laugh:

View attachment 463106 View attachment 463110 View attachment 463109 View attachment 463108 View attachment 463107
Chapeau.

Mike_P

Guru
Yesterday afternoon on the Defy initially ventured up Nidderdale; down Hollins Lane to Hampsthwaite and then Elton Lane up to Clapham Green passing en-route another what I thought were rare Parish boundary markers, this one for Birstwith.
BirstwithPC.jpg

That village came after Clapham Green following a sharp decent, on through Darley to Darley Head; a game of cat and mouse occurring with the local bus which had passed me before Birstwith and then again en-route to Darley; this has been reduced from a hourly frequency to a one of 90 minutes using smaller vehicles albeit electric. Briefly south on the B6451 then heading south west to Thorthwaite. Turned north along Dairy Lane wary of an almost full road set of pot holes previously found along there but they had been filled in. Back on the B6451 from Dacre, this time north east down to Dacre Banks
Towards DacreB.jpg

Over the River Nidd and up the ramp into Summerbridge, and north west for the first time along the B6165 pass the Methodist Church
Summerbirdge.jpg

through Low Laithe and up to Wilsill ; the bus passing again although now in the opposite direction having been to Pateley Bridge
An acute right turn at Wilsill joined the eastbound route of NCN688 "Way of the Roses" along the narrow road through Smelthouses which turned out to be one where a good north-westerly or more preferably a smaller chainring is beneficial - upgrade initially and then a decent signposted as 11% only then to encounter immediately an ascent signposted as 19% - partly pedalled up, rest use made of Shanks Pony.
Smelthouses.jpg

Two further uses of the "Pony" followed on an ascent signposted as 18% and another which had no signpost but the right bend had a pretty vertical banking to it. Obviously while no where near a fast time for the three climbs Strava has 3463 slower times, tried to work out exactly how much I pedalled but Garmin data seems to be wrong as apart from a brief moment cadence up the climbs is never zero. North as per the NCN thereafter pass Brimham Rocks, packed judging by the field that was the overflow car park. This is one of the lesser roadside rocks.
Brimham 4.jpg

Left the NCN and went east on the B6265 before taking the single track Sawley Moor Lane and followed that by heading to Fountains Abbey, re-joining the NCN to skirt the Abbey grounds with a PR on the climb of Fountain Lane
Fountains.jpg

Passed through the adjacent Deer Park where Deer for once were clearly visible but missed by the GoPro. On through Studley Roger where one property was obviously undergoing some extensive works
StudleyR.jpg

Took an off saddle break in a park in Ripon alongside the River Skell
Skell.jpg

Re-joined the NCN route crossing the Ripon bypass - Sustrans describe it as entirely on road
Ripon bypass.jpg

Continued through Littlethorpe as far as Bishop Monkton where the NCN was left for the final time as I headed via Burton Leonard to Knaresborough, a judged decision as that the climb of the A59/adj cycletrack to Forest Lane Head was preferable to the A61 into Killinghall or a no doubt very packed Nidderdale Greeenway and Beryl Burton Way. Did the climb in a new PR and then normal route homewards via the typically quite Starbeck Branch of the Nidderdale Greenway, other than having to stop to let a motorised wheelchair to pass in the opposite direction.

45.31 miles 2977ft largely pedelled up Avg 12.4 MPH.
20-4 route and elevation.jpg

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Quick, untangle the bunting; I have been on a ride. We were nearly out of chocolate spread for breakfast toast and I have been scouring the Internet for palm oil free versions. Waitrose seem to offer some and, given a choice between visiting Newport (the Shropshire version) or Wolverhampton (the Mordor version), well, Newport it is!

I then thought I might cycle it. The canal would do for a large part of the ride so I fitted my battered Freedom Bikepacker panniers to the old mountain bike and set off in wonderful weather. I rode through endless fields of yellow. There is so much oil seed rape grown, it makes you wonder why palm oil is in just about every sodding thing!

I got a bit lost getting from the canal to Newport. I rode through the Onns. Little Onn, Upper Onn and Onn and On! Many confusing miles later I arrived. I might have got slightly too enthusiastic in the shop. I mean, what's the point of riding all that way and only getting one jar? Ooh, look, that wine looks good. A nice cauliflower for later in the weekend and....

Before I knew it, both panniers are full of really heavy stuff and the bumpy canal towpath isn't looking as appealing as the roads. I didn't want to be riding on the A41 as I was put off it many years ago when first on the scene of a very fatal accident.

I got very lost in the lanes and ended up heading to Telford. That's away from home. I got back on track by riding through the National sports facility at Lillishall. I was really struggling now and had to stop for a rest on a bench in Sherrifhales:

image.jpeg

On the bench was this plate:

image.jpeg

I did indeed rest my legs and try to regain the use of full colour vision! I watered the small floral tribute from one of my water bottles and headed towards Shifnal.

The rest of the ride passed in a bit of a haze. The bike was so heavy and I have hardly been out for 5 months or so. 40 hot and sunny miles saw me home in time to see my son's cricket team lose their first match. I did see him make an amazing throw from the boundary to run someone out.

I am suffering a bit with a headache today but I think I'm glad I actually got out! Here's a picture of the loaded bike.

image.jpeg

I think I remember this road into Sherrifhales. I'm sure Parker International used to be down there somewhere.

Top Bottom