Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
2019-04-21 22.09.19.jpg
A ride out to the Blue egg, but when we got there it was closed, so back to a cafe in the local town, a bit of a wait for the food, but when it came it was nice, plenty of apoligies from the cafe owners, 5 of us started out, it was going to be the longest ride for one of the girls, but 10 miles in i was strugling with the slow speed as was one of the other girls. she is traing for her third iron man, i am training for a ride to gent next week, so we decided to split the group. worked out really well. took a bit of pressure of the the slower riders. Nice ride quiet roads, the two of us got back to our local for a well deserved beer, the two of us got there at 10 past 4, the second group got ther about 5pm, not to far behind, we all enjoyed a few beers before heading home.
https://www.strava.com/activities/2307732003
The gin and tonics went down well with the girls.

Last edited:

JPBoothy

Veteran
I left the house at 8.30am in my polo shirt and shorts with my rucksack on my back. I pootled down to McDonalds (all of 3mls away) bought a coffee, sat in the sun, read a few chapters of a book then pootled back home again.

I bet I'll sleep tonight :laugh:

JPBoothy

Veteran
Out on the hybrid, no heroics :becool:
Nice and steady on a Easter Sunday sat down next to the Dee in Chester not a soul about, it was early, beautiful morning.

View attachment 463537 View attachment 463538
That's always been a favourite of mine on an early 'people free morning' too. When the sky is blue, the water calm like glass (except for the early morning rower's) it is a lovely place to be.

Yes t really hardly see or hear them these days
Used to have regular or semi regular spots for them but they were always difficult to see

A nice route today. Clockwise around the loop below, 114.24 miles:

View attachment 463301

My favourite roadside watering stop at Upton-upon-Severn was cunningly situated at half way, making it very much a ride of two halves. Setting of northwards at about 6:40am it was magnificently quiet for a few hours, if a little cold to begin with. After a series of gentle ups and downs, eventually I turned eastwards crossing the northern part of the Malverns. Here they are carved deeply by river valleys, not quite the miniature mountains they become further south. Distant views were largely obscured by haze, but near at Suckley, on the Worcester side of the hills, this vista appeared:

View attachment 463302

When I've passed this way before I've headed towards Worcester. Turning south-eastwards towards Upton had the benefit of the constantly changing view of the high Malverns. Here, at Leigh Sinton, they're still largely end-on:

View attachment 463303

After watering to the finish at Upton I headed north-westwards on the second half of the ride. Reaching the modest range of hills north of Evesham known as the Lenches, the temperature had risen considerably in time for a succession of five sharpish hills. The blissful cool and quiet of the morning now seemed a long time ago. Still, at the point where I turn for home there was this satisfying view towards the Cotswolds:

View attachment 463304

There was a deep furrow at the edge of the field enabling me to prop my bike, but in doing so I failed to notice a fresh growth of stinging nettles. :sad:

After crossing the Avon at Fladbury there's the pretty village of Charlton, with it's stream and green:

View attachment 463306

From there, just the eastern side of Bredon Hill, finishing along "old faithful", the A38 from Tewkesbury.

One oustanding nature observation: a drumming lesser-spotted woodpecker at Wadborough, near Pershore. I used to expect to hear them most years, but not for quite a while. The RSPB website suggests that nowadays there are some 100 greater-spotteds for every lesser.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Out on the Landescape tandem today.
Chilly at first, but after a climb up Chapel Hill we were warm! Our fastest down the other side. Some friendly Strava rivalry... we were on the same bike, but on the back end Mrs Dave was 0.2 of a second quicker than me!

In Shepreth I gave her a heart attack. We were sauntering towards the level crossing, the beeps started and the barriers were coming down.... we went for it!
It was all good!

We cycled to Melbourne, not far from us, but I’d never been there!
It’s like the future
B09ED58F-4A51-4A14-9262-E0C3DDF3A6C4.jpeg

On towards Fowlmere and by the RSPB reserve a Marsh Harrier flew across the field!
CE987D57-CEF1-4F74-B958-B0B00B31E3AB.jpeg

85664B07-5B17-46C0-A49D-A63C78873FA6.jpeg

^ Thriplow.

We stopped at the church in Harston. All Saints
B7857E38-3B3B-4F29-957D-3DBC9D5BB043.jpeg

4FA94D55-9848-4387-8FFE-8488891F8C16.jpeg

And in Haslingfield we stopped at the Moringa Tree
7DC63681-3D9B-4A10-B4CF-220773251913.jpeg

84A6D1AE-426A-4173-97E2-168FFABBAFA2.jpeg

32 sunny miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/2309775270

Leaway2

Lycrist
Took the Peugeot out for a bimble. Only 6 miles in to Altincham. I thought it may be very busy but was surprised to find the eateries round the market were all closed. This is the first proper outing for the Pug by me after stripping replacing most of the bearings, giving it a clean, etc.
Setting off, it sounded like a sleigh, which I found to be the reflectors built into the pedals, so rightly or wrongly, I have blobbed a bit of hot glue on the back to hold them in place. I couldn't get into the large ring, so adjusted that.
20190422_140958.jpg

postman

Legendary Member
I left the house at 8.30am in my polo shirt and shorts with my rucksack on my back. I pootled down to McDonalds (all of 3mls away) bought a coffee, sat in the sun, read a few chapters of a book then pootled back home again.

I bet I'll sleep tonight :laugh:

Must have been a heavy book.

TigerT

Veteran
Just a short one today. My legs are finished after 230kms in 4 days!

As I mentioned before,May and June are bike to work months in Switzerland where you commit to making at least half your work journeys by bike.

My journey involves heading up hill from home then down into the city, heading up hill on the other side. So whichever direction there is a pretty nasty hill at the end. Last year I used my e-bike, but this year I wanted to try out my Brompton. It’s fun, easy to get around the city and it has a work bag that mounts on the front. So today I did a trial run.

It went pretty well! The hills were tough as I suspected, even with the 6 gears, I struggled, but it’s great through the city. I really enjoyed it.

So just the 20kms today, there and back.
8AC717A0-9881-44D3-832D-8F2FE11E6DFB.jpeg

15 miles done around Wrightington , mawdesley, and parbold this morning, its gonna be a while before I can ride to the top of parbold hill like I used to, my lungs were making a bid for freedom, and my legs give in this morning when I had a go , I knew I wouldn't make it to the top but thought I would do better than I actually did, oh well , keep trying :bicycle::heat::cry:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Easter Monday and still the mini-heatwave continues.

Today is of course internationally known for the World Coal Carrying Championships at Gawthorpe near Wakefield and while I was tempted to go and spectate, I didn't want to interrupt @Markymark on his annual pilgrimage, so I went for a ride instead. ;)

Coal Road (appropriately enough...), Skeltons Lane and onto the A58, where Trumpton were in attendance at the pub - hopefully nothing too serious.
Onto Whin Moor Lane and into Shadwell, then down the hill through the village, across Bay Horse Lane and up the rise to recross the A58 and head along Carr Lane to Thorner. The usual slog up Milner Lane, then along the ridge to Holme Farm Lane and into Rigton Green, then for a change on Compton Lane out to Jewitt Lane and back to Thorner Lane, through the dip and on down to Bramham.
Looped around the top of the village and out on Toulston Lane into North Yorkshire, then Garnett Lane, eventually crossing the bridge over a very quiet A64, before plunging down the hill into Stutton, across the bridge and out to the A162 and up the hill.
At the top I got a ridiculously close pass from a taxi (anyone know which local council issues red taxi plates with white numbers on?).
I stayed on the A162 through Towton, although you might want to avoid the village for the next few days as the road is due to be surface dressed tomorrow, before turning off right towards the battlefield memorial. I was going to stop for a pic, but it was very busy so I pushed on and eventually dropped down into Saxton, where just through the village I stopped at Linda's bench for a snack and a couple of photos:
IMG_20190422_095517619.jpg
IMG_20190422_095450759_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190422_095959664.jpg

Back on the bike and down to Copley Lane for the run up to Lotherton Gates, where the queue for Lotherton Hall was out onto the main road. In search of an extra mile or two I stayed on there down to Hook Moor, then took advantage of the long straight and slightly downhill run into Aberford.
Onto Cattle Lane for the usual ups and downs, before the climb into and through Barwick, then on to Scholes and down Leeds Road, with a short loop around Manston just to make sure of the miles, then local roads up to home.

32.07 miles (51.61 km) in 2h 35m at an average of 12.5 mph with 1,765 ft climbed and (according to Garmin) and average temperature of 13.7°C

Really enjoyed that. The fourth consecutive day with a metric half under my belt, meaning I've ridden just over 220 km over the Easter break. Not a huge amount for some on here, but I'm really happy to have got those rides in given how things have been recently.
Not sure about that average temperature though - if anything today felt like the warmest day of the long weekend, but what great cycling weather it's been all through Easter.
Loads of cyclists out there today, everything from club runs to solo riders and quite a few family groups.

And to end, the map:
22042019.JPG

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Been a bit of a mixed up day with things not going to plan and lots of time wasted. A bit of a bimble this afternoon was what I needed to make up for it so I grabbed the knockabout bike (just because it was convenient) and did my Condover, Atcham, Upton Magna, Uffington and centre of Shrewsbury loop.

Lovey warm weather, as a lot of the country seems to have been enjoying, but the wind was a bit stronger and from a different direction than I'd expected meaning I'd have been better off doing this loop clockwise instead.

I wondered about how much traffic I'd encounter being a bank holiday but it was fairly quiet as far as Atcham where Attingham Park had clearly had a busy day. There was a queue trying to leave the park but fortunately not in the direction I was headed.

At Upton Magna I picked up the tailwind which helped all the way to Uffington. At Downton I saw a cyclist up ahead pull over apparently looking down at his tyres so I stopped to check if he was okay but he was just noting down the position of a pothole to report it.

The canal and the riverside paths heading to the town centre were busy with walkers and cyclists and it looked as though quite a few people had brought picnics down to the Quarry. All very pleasant but not the route if you want to go fast.

I had someone give me warning of broken glass up ahead near Meole Brace, which was appreciated, then crossing the A5 the traffic was all at a crawl as the trek home from the coast hit its peak.

One of those rides where it was just nice to trundle round. 20.2 miles at 12.2 mph average.

DSC0007391.jpg

Atcham with a chap and his dog having fun splashing about in the river.

DSC0007393.jpg

Been a busy day at Attingham Park.

DSC0007394.jpg

Not clear in this pic but Castle Walk footbridge appears to have been decorated. Don't know what the event is.

DSC0007397.jpg

The garden is popular at the Boathouse today.

DSC0007400.jpg

The slow journey home from the coast is underway. The queue is for Dobbies (officially Bailey's) Island which was recently confirmed as being one of the biggest failures in Highways England's pinchpoint programme: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47845050

Top Bottom