Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A retail therapy-based bike day today in the company of Wiggy #2, the Chartres.

Involved riding to Ely station (the usual route: Downham Common, California, Orwell Pit, Prickwillow Road), bike and me on the train, alight at Cambridge North and then a nice day of bimbling in Cambridge. This included a trip to the retail park on the Newmarket Road, then the Grafton Centre, and lastly into town for a poke around some book shops and a stop for tea and an apple pie. After which, it was back to Cambridge North and a reverse of the outward-bound route.

Love cycling in Cambridge - it's pretty well much the best way to get around the city, but man... Suicidal pedestrians... :banghead:

I almost flattened one lady on St Andrews' Street; I could see she was dithering about crossing, so I slowed down and rang my bell. And inevitably, she stepped into the cycle lane without looking, right in front of me. Thank goodness I managed to stop inches short of a collision (yay for disc brakes). Not a nice moment, but I think she was suitably chastened after I bent her ear some...

Did some good bike-related shopping though. And the Chartres was admired by a chap with a poncy road bike at Cambridge North. The bike techs in Decathlon were rather taken with it as well. :wub:

20-ish miles in some lovely warm spring sunshine.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
My ride Sunday 108Km Blaby - Countesthorpe -Willoughby Waterlys - Ashby Magna -Dunton Bassett - Ashby Parva - Leire - Frolesworth - Claybrooke Magna - Withybrok - Hopsford - Shilton -Brinkow - Bretford - Kings Newham - Little Lawford - Easenhall - Pailton - Monks Kirby - up towards Wibtoft back to Mons Kirby - ClaybrookeParva - Ullesthorpe - Ashby Parva - Kimcote - Walton - Bruntingthorpe - Peatling Magna - Wiloughby Waterlys - Countesthorpe - Blaby Originally hoped to do my ride out to Fotheringhay but I was starting to come down with a cold so abandoned that in favour of a slightly shorter route - though did go a bit further south than Easenhall - having to stop and look at the map on my phone - some nice lanes down there - I must explore a bit more. Cold got to me though as I've hardly done anything since!!

Attachments

• easenhall.jpg
    easenhall.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 12

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I'm planning a mini-cycle tour in June/July from Dieppe to Hook of Holland, so yesterday's invitation to a barbecue in Melbourn near Royston proved a nice 40 mile round trip training ride. The long plod down the A10 from Cambridge was a bit boring but at least all reasonable quality, adjacent cycle path now. I came home a longer, different way along quiet lanes and bridleways in warm sunshine which was idyllic.

Today's ride, a 10 mile saunter around my local haunts.

IMG_3620.JPG

One of my favourite tranquil spots - this pond on Tubney Fen near Reach. There are several ponds hereabouts. Water levels are the lowest I can remember. Sedge warblers are back, and singing away in the reeds.

IMG_3622.JPG

A typical fenland scene! It's flat, its unremarkable, but it's my local patch and I love it.

IMG_3623.JPG

Finally, view from the bridge. I'd hoped to hear my first cuckoo of spring today, but will have to wait a little longer. Plenty of swallows though, and the hedgerows and thickets have suddenly filled with blackcap and whitethroat song.

Last edited:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Did our training loop tonight, first one of the year. getting the group up to speed, everyone did well with an average speed of 18.1 mph over 24 miles,My other half was well pleased with her time,We ended at our local pub for a beer or two, Great evening, Just hope this weather stays with us,
https://www.strava.com/activities/2313591670/segments/58449585028

Last edited:

8mph

Veteran
Had a nice ride into Marlborough today. It started to rain just before headed back but no worries, I had my new Madison "Sportive Stratos" jacket with.
It's paper thin, as light as a feather, looks great and does a remarkably good job of letting rain just soak right through. It does function as a windbreaker, albeit one with rapidly flaping sleeves.

AndreaJ

Veteran
Had time for a quick ride today so just a regular route around Whixall although I took a slight detour to cross the canal over a different bridge I found while walking the dog at the weekend, it is down a lane marked as a dead end but although cars can no longer use the bridge walkers and cyclists can, and a longer detour around Coton .Wood near the end. Found a road closed sign part way round that wasn't there yesterday so thought I would see if I could pass, road was completely blocked but just enough space at the edge to push the bike through.The weather is cooler today and the predicted rain hadn't arrived when I decided to go but did start as I left, short sleeves and a waterproof gillet were just about right and the rain stopped after about half an hour, just as I was getting near home I noticed some very big, black clouds heading our way and just made it home and put the bike in the shed as thunder, lightning and torrential rain started! I much prefer watching that from the house with a coffee and cake

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Lovely ride out with Jules H along the Teme valley. Plenty of water in the river still. The valley road is quite up and down so plenty of interest for sure. We bumped into Trevor Jarvis who built my bike frame a while ago. He's 85 now and despite health issues he is still working on bike frames.

We hung about TABS for a good while to let the worst of a band of rain go through but eventually we had to leave. Jules took to the shorter route for him while I took the short way over Bockleton. I got a bit damp but the climbs kept me warm. The sun came out towards the end and the roads dried out too. But a strong wind got up blowing in my face and lack of food didn't help either. I had a lovely ride in the first half and survived that horrid blip at the end. 61 smiles

The_Weekend_Report_Guy

Pablo's Cycling Tours
Hitting some single tracks with the boss

58583736_2110283232400419_8452342647497949184_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.jpg

Old jon

Guru
There had been a heavy rainfall this morning, judging by how wet things were outdoors. But the phone said a dry day and I believed it, though when I saw the bike in all its Monday muck that belief took a bit of holding on to.

Bike With Sand.jpg

First thing Monday morning this saddle was 283 miles old.
Ten miles older, where has the shiny gone??
The Saddle.jpg

Down the hill and around the bend, pedal along parallel to the beach until the new bridge is reached. It is a popular stretch of road, in dry weather at least. Lots of folk around, some on bikes, some happy joggers and some people using the exercise machines that the council (?) provides all around the area. Turn a corner and there is a set of physical torture equipment, a lot of it being used and by all age groups too. Yeah, younger outnumbers older and I guess there is a majority of men using this stuff. Never been tempted.

There was a plan for today’s ride and for a change the plan was followed. Cross the bridge, onto the mainland, and turn right. North and a lot west. Under the old bridge, Ponte Hercilio Luz to award the Sunday name, and there is another cycle path, just inland from the beach. At the end, carry on along the road in front through a jumble of houses and small businesses until a T junction is reached. Right is to the beach, but the bike don’t float. Left to the main road and right again. Pass the naval college, still wondering where they keep all the ships, and carry on for a while. This road is fair busy, when I saw a road off half right, I took that. Peace! Having glanced at the map last evening, this road was the closest to the sea and eventually would meet the main trunk road north, BR 101. Just as the day’s mileage clicked to twelve this road was reached, and I decided to turn around.

So, allowing for navigational errors, it should be a simple ride home. Back through the bit I had just ridden, was about to turn off the camera and saw the two scrap collectors. This area has a scrapyard or two, I had seen another bloke pulling a cart. Just did not put the two together, never thought. Still, home is in that direction, so keep pedalling. Back to the busy road and a left turn. One more left turn and found a one way street going the wrong way so rode three sides of a square to reach where I wanted to be. Back along the beach road, old bridge, new bridge and then Beira Mar on the island. Another crossing of the main drag via the footbridge, along the road to the left turn up the two ramp hill home, which still defeated me but this time at least half a dozen pedal turns, and one foot already unclipped.

A grin for twenty four and a smidge miles and about 1300 feet up. Bigger grin for the shower to come, it was a warm ride.

The map may explain better

25042019.jpg

gavgav

Guru
Well Summer was nice, pity Autumn has arrived already! It’s been monsooning down for 2 days, in Shropshire, but finally abated to let me out for a ride after work.

Just my usual route around Shrewsbury, with nothing much to report, other than the strong buffeting headwind that was in my face from a Westerly and Easterly direction......:scratch:

13.0 miles (about 11 into a headwind)

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Not having been able to get out for a couple of days I took a chance on the weather this morning and headed out to try and get some miles in before the rain was expected. The knockabout bike was easiest to get out and I headed for my Oaks, Pulverbatch, Wilderley route as this gives a few options to cut the ride short in the case of the rain arriving early.

After crossing Lyth Hill I took the alternative way to Oaks, climbing up from Plealey, then at the top took my usual route round Broom Hill to Pulverbatch. Shortly after the village I pulled in to let a following vehicle past and the driver didn't only acknowledge me but waved vigorously as though I was a long lost friend. Made me smile.^_^

At Wilderley I found the headwind and it was a good one today that made me have to work a bit even on the downhill sections. Near Walkmills I paused to greet a friendly farm dog (I like collies) then noted that threatening cloud was building ahead of me. The odd spot of rain was falling by Dudgeley but fortunately the point where I cross the A49 and head north again wasn't very far away.

Having turned for home I now had a good tailwind and the fairly flat, fairly straight roman road towards Longnor. I actually caught up with a Landrover towing a stock trailer on this section and followed it until I had to turn off. I had to slow for four vehicles on the Longnor to Ryton section which is unusually busy for this little lane then had a good fast run up to the A49.

The rain caught up with me between Condover and the A49 junction but was only light so not too much of a problem. There was queueing traffic on the main road yet again which always feels quite good to be able to filter past.

26.9 miles this time at a fairly respectable 12.5 mph average (for a hilly ride). That tailwind on the return certainly helped.

Just the one pic today:
DSC0007403.jpg

Looking in the direction of Oaks from Lyth Hill.

AndreaJ

Veteran
Thinking the monsoon season was over in Shropshire I planned a ride this morning before the rain arrived although it was windy, unfortunately the rain hadn't seen the weather forecast and it started to rain as soon as I set off but I carried on hoping it would soon stop- it didn't it just got worse! I had decided to go the opposite way to normal around Colemere so started by heading towards Horton, Highfields, Ryebank, Edsaston, Poolhead and into Whixall before turning to Northwood, Lyneal, past Colemere where there were some lovely Highland cattle in a field by the hedge watching me, English Frankton, Brown Heath , Loppington, Wolverley and back home. I was impressed with how dry my Aldi windproof jersey kept me although the sleeves aren't wind/water proof and arrived home plastered in mud and mostly soaking wet! I don't usually go this way round and some of the lanes, which are sign posted by the council as family cycling routes, with steeper downhill parts aren't for the faint hearted due to the shocking lack of road surface in places and thick layer of mud and bits of tree/hedges made for an interesting ride. 21 miles average speed 15.5mph most of which seemed to be into the wind. At least the thunder and lightning we have had for the past 2 days has stopped.

Top Bottom