Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old jon

Guru
Brrrr! Things felt chilly this morning. Quite a thought, considering the temperature was about twenty degrees. But that is the lowest it has been since I arrived here in February, add a bit of breeze through wide open windows and chilly was the word.

A light rain was falling too. So it was time to prove my belief that warm rain is not much of a bother to ride in. Down the hill, the water leak at the bottom is being repaired. Two or three cones and a waterworks pickup are the only signs that there are two men waist deep in a hole in the road. I wished them a good morning, turned right and rode across the bridge and around the bend ( sort of ) to my first encounter here with a chasing dog. Quite quick, this dog, which warmed up the muscles rather well. And the rain really started.

A mile or two further on, very few people walking and only two or three bikes seen. The locals know something I have yet to discover, maybe? Well, I am discovering something. Warm rain is not warm, and here, without mudguards the not warm rain brings sand with it. Impressive amounts of sand given that the tyres are almost slicks. Keep pedalling, pass the bridges and finally work out that this is not the best of fun. Dry is better exploring. So I stopped in the shelter of some trees to hope for the rain to be a bit less. Nope. Turn for home and don’t forget to take a video.

Still very few walkers or riders about. Plenty of traffic around, but though today is Easter Monday, it is not a holiday here.

One last shower, or maybe I had ridden out from under the cloud, and the roads were dry, the breeze had dropped. And I am almost home. One small detour, over the main drag on a footbridge marked as a cycle path. This puts me in line to try the other uphill approach to the apartment. This has two stages, a fairly gentle climb for a distance and then a wall. I had to laugh at myself, three turns of the pedals and a mad rush to unclip when forward movement stopped!

Just over ten miles, sweet fanny adams climbing. And sand everywhere. Brilliant!!

The map, just because,

22042019.jpg

Early one at Lligwy beach this morning on Anglesey.
20190422_083252.jpg

Thankful for the fat Contis.... managed to stay up on the sand :smile:
20190422_083744.jpg

Some more of Ligwy...
20190422_084048.jpg

20190422_084039.jpg

Lligwy Chapel on the way back, not sure how old but near an AD 70 settlement and burial chamber.

20190422_085256.jpg

Also called in to Moelfre during the ride
20190422_081948.jpg

Back by 9.30am to get some bacon butties on the go, an absolute joy of a ride today and back there in 2 weeks. :smile:

Mr Celine

Discordian
Yesterday's ride. I'll start with the usual moan about the met office. Over head it was clear not overcast; it was 22C not 17C; the wind was at least 15mph not 8mph; it was from the WSW not SSW; and my arms and legs will testify to the UV risk being more than 2.

My ride was an elongated parallelogram with the long side directly into the headwind on the way out, which was also uphill. I stopped to admire the view looking north from the top of the steep part of the climb from Ashkirk. The bike is propped against the remains of the William Ogilvie memorial cairn.
IMG_20190421_150431[1].jpg

Last time I stopped here for a photo was in 2016, when the cairn was still intact although a bronze memorial in the shape of a book had been stolen from the top.

IMAG0002.jpg

The top of it originally looked like this -

upload_2019-4-22_20-47-59.png

It's bad enough stealing metal from monuments but why go to the trouble of smashing the rest of it up?

Ogilvie was a Scottish/Australian poet. One of his poems was 'The Hill road to Roberton' which was the route I was following. Eventually, beyond Roberton, I reached the day's summit at Alemoor.

IMG_20190421_153354[1].jpg

Almost lost in the haze on the horizon above the stem is a glimpse of the distant Eildon Hills, my local landmark. It's a long way home from here and there's another five miles into that headwind before the route turns north.
I made a rare foray into the Tushielaw Inn for a coffee and a muffin and also to see if the proprietor was as grumpy as ever. The sunshine seemed to have made him even worse than normal. Never mind, only 19 downwind miles from there.

The map -

upload_2019-4-22_20-59-43.png

55.7 miles and 984 metres onwards and upwards. Average speed 14.7 mph.

Mike_P

Guru
Decided this morning to test the ebikes front derauilleur by having a trip along the "closed" Penny Pot Lane to the point of closure; turned out it was completely open, with large sections completely reconstructed, despite signs to the contrary so westward on the Defy this afternoon, and the usual route to Greenhow Hill Road then NW-NE-NW on an undulating route but generally upwards into the general area of Heyshaw for the first time; the actual village is down a dead end road. This brought me to Nought Moor Road which descends as Nought Moor Bank. On the upper part of the decent I passed a cyclist heading up and wished him good luck.
Nought Moor Road.jpg

The road then weaves it way down the hill side and brake blocks get some significant wear with the varying gradients with one the steepest being at the very bottom
Nought Moor Bank.jpg

Pateley Bridge was a short distance further, a best high street despite the narrow pavements
pateley.jpg

Followed the B6165 along the north side of Nidderdale to Ripley, the wind becoming increasingly noticeable especially east of Burnt Yates and I retreated to the Nidderdale Greenway.

32.37 miles 2568ft climbed Avg 11.9 MPH

22-04 route.jpg
22-04 elevation.jpg

theloafer

Legendary Member
today was testing day ...lol karons new e-bike ... and to see how she would cope going up a little ........from home took our usual route out the Richmond first coffee, then on to the Dales cycle centre café just outside of Reeth for beans on toast for me and karon had the soup ...there was 3 stunning e-type jags in the car park. left through Reeth and headed along the valley passing through Healaugh and on to Low Row... sharp right turn then the up bit starts.. lol over towards the Charles Bathurst inn for a cool half (honest).... then up and over the well known hill THE STANG... glad to report that bike and karon coped exceedingly well up and over with great ease ..ish lol then back via Thwaite-Scargill-Barningham, crossed the A66 (which was at a standstill west-east) through Hutton Magna... which then put us back on the lanes back to Piercebridge -Walworth,with a short stop at Karons fav ice cream palour Archers.. then a mad dash through Heighington-home before her garmin died lol..... 66 miles the girl did GREAT

https://www.strava.com/activities/2310867704

WP_20190422_001.jpg WP_20190422_004.jpg WP_20190422_005.jpg WP_20190422_012.jpg WP_20190422_013.jpg WP_20190422_016.jpg

C R

Guru
Different things have been getting in the way of riding for the last couple of weeks, but finally today I managed some pedal time.

It was sunny most of the afternoon, but by six thirty it had started to get hazy. Out at about seven, sleeveless, fingerless and legless for the first time this year. Aim was to be back before dark, so had about an hour.

Down the A38 through Kempsey, the temperature was still good, so warmed up quickly. Then left for Kerswell Green, and then up past Croome and returning via Wadborough and Littleworth.

Fastest ride this year, unfortunately I missed all the good weather, let's see if I can get another ride tomorrow before the wet stuff returns.

The map

IMG_20190422_231330.jpg

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Fairly standard ride out to Coddington and on over the Munsley lump. I opted for the climb to Woolhope Cockshoot. The views were quite misty. I looped by Canwood for Woolhope. The climb back onto the ridge near the transmitter went quite well. Lovely yellow archangel lined the route and the stitchwort was in fine form. I dropped away for Much Marcle and the usual route homeward. Nice brisk ride today in lovely spring fresh countryside. 56 smiles

AndreaJ

Veteran
I have booked the week off work to spend with teenage daughter for the second week of her Easter holidays so after dropping her and her friend off in Shrewsbury for the day ( would rather spend day with her friends!) I went for a ride round the Whixall lanes. Went into Whixall then Fenns Bank, Fenns Wood, Blackloe, back over the canal via one of the very steep bridges, Alkington into Tilstock before turning back to Hollinswood, Coton then down a a lane I have not been down before to Coton Wood back onto the " main road" briefly before turning back towards Whixall, Braynes Hall, Abbeygreen, Waterloo, Edstaston,, Paddolgreen, Poolhead, Foxholes past the Lowe, Horton then home. Not quite as warm today and just enough wind to be annoying, not very much traffic about. 25 miles done 15.9mph average speed.

Some people who have read about our preparation for cycling to Japan will have gathered that I'm by nature a planner, so today way to get some practice not planning a ride and just following a map. I was going to catch an S-Bahn (metro) train through Stuttgart as far as my pass would take me, and work my way back to our village from there.

On leaving work however, your correspondent realised it was almost 4pm, which is the beginning of the official "rush hour", where carrying a bike by train costs extra, and trams are off limits until 6:30pm.

Anyone who has seen me stacking small denomination coins to make small purchases will know I'm not going to hand over good money to put a bike on a train when I can ride it, I mean, come on.

So plan 'B': ride along the Neckar, the river that passes Stuttgart, until it met the valley that leads to where we lived. This meant a 200m climb, but I also got some experience in off the cuff map reading and city cycling, two skills which have faded a bit lately.

Unfortunately these required concentration, which made photography difficult. Also, it was mostly ugly for the first few K's:

2019_04_23_KW_Ofi_01.JPG

However, the old village centres are often largely intact, and once on the back roads, things improved:

2019_04_23_KW_Ofi_02.JPG

We also passed the headquarters of the Stuttgart Mushroom Company:

2019_04_23_KW_Ofi_03.JPG

Eventually, after a police roadblock with several drug detecting dogs, all of whom completely ignored me as I walked past (not entirely guaranteed given that I work with people who occasionally use drugs) I reached Esslingen.

The local authority seems to have decided that as as this end of the town was a mess to start with, they'd put all the ugly buildings here:

2019_04_23_KW_Ofi_04.JPG

Esslingen has recently put in a 'new cycleway' and wants us to use this instead of the straight route alongside the river. I was expecting the worst, but it turns out it isn't too bad:

2019_04_23_KW_Ofi_05.JPG

With cafes, vineyards in the background, and the pickle museum to the left of the picture. I am not making that up.

2019_04_23_KW_Ofi_06.JPG

Brief stop by the Esslingen Steel wholesalers warehouse, now surrounded by chic apartments, but still working.

2019_04_23_KW_Ofi_07.JPG

For all that the new route is interesting but essentially a big detour when you can just ride along the river, so I don't expect there will be many takers.

Once back on the river route things sped up a bit, when I wasn't taking pictures:

2019_04_23_KW_Ofi_10.JPG

And finally, finally reached the side valley and escaped the industrial areas:

2019_04_23_KW_Ofi_11.JPG

At which point it started to rain slightly, and I had to concentrate on getting back undercover before things got worse. You'll have to imagine the inhabitants of several pretty German towns watching in bemusement as a Brit on a longtail wheezes their way up the main road while keeping up a litany of complaints against the weather, drivers, and local geographic features, specifically the one he's currently climbing...

2019_04_23_KW_Ofi_13.JPG

And then, suddenly, the hills were vanquished, the rain went, clouds parted and the sun shone, and there were hills, and trees...

and all was right with the world...

[Edited for multiple typos]

Last edited:
Top Bottom