Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After a two day break from cycling, yesterday was too blustery anyway, for me, I went out for a 22 miler this morning. After quite a lot of rain over night and some at breakfast time I managed a 75 minute window that was almost rain free, but not wind free but at least only 15mph from the NW. It certainly felt as if we had gone backwards a few months, back on went the leggings and two pairs of gloves. It was just my neck that felt cold. I was also trying out my new BBB overshoes which I bought for next winter, silly me, of course I will need them before then !! They were fine as it happens. I only saw two other cyclists on the route to Bacton but then today was the day of the Boxford Tornado ride which is quite local, so I dare say a lot were on that. I did that 3 years ago. Anyway, managed 17.5 average on the Claude Butler for what is a fairly flat route. I just can`t seem to get back to being over the 18 mark. I guess it is an age thing, but not really bothered. Oh, to ride in sunshine again and feel warm.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Did my first Audax ride yesterday, Valley of the rocks 200. It was wild and windy and took me 12hrs 30 to complete. View attachment 464335

I need to do more of @Ian H ’s events.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
No ride yesterday due to the inclement weather, and time limited today but at least I got out.

What happened to the temperatures? After last weekend's tropical heatwave it was back to longs, layers, full finger gloves and shoe covers. :cold:
And it was still a bit brisk getting underway.
What was more noticeable was the wind - the forecast said it would be breezy, but I think they'd under estimated it by a notch or three.
Straight into it up Coal Road to find the traffic lights not detecting traffic again, but at least that gave me a rest.
Onto Red Hall Lane then the A58, before left onto Whin Moor Lane and out of the wind. Until I reached the open stretch when it reappeared as a bit of a blowy crosswind...
Anyhow, into Shadwell trying to plot a route in my head that would keep me out of the worst of it / give me an easier return leg. So down the hill through the village and up again to the A58 and onto Carr Lane.
This meant that I had a crosswind at every gate / gap in the hedges and so I was taking it steady, but at least I wasn't cycling into it. Into Thorner and back out again up Milner Lane and along the ridge mercifully mainly sheltered from the wind now.
Rigton Green and then Compton Lane, before a tight right onto Jewitt lane and up over the crest before what should have been a wind assisted and mainly downhill run back to Thorner Lane. It was mainly downhill, but I didn't detect any assistance, so I'm not sure what had happened there?
Anyhow, left at the end and through the dip, then a straight run to Bramham, taking care at gaps and gates again.
Over a surprisingly quiet A1(M) and down the hill and up the other side onto Paradise Way.
Due south now, so I was expecting a good push from the wind, but I didn't feel it - in fact it felt like harder work than usual in places. Round Bramham Crossroads and on towards Aberford.
After the first few hundred yards this drops steadily towards the village and at last I got the benefit of the tail wind :okay:
All too soon the fun was over though and it was right onto Cattle Lane for the lumps and bumps to Barwick, again with that pesky crosswind at every opening.
Up, then down to Scholes, another drop down Leeds Road and with a few minutes still on the clock a loop around Manston and Pendas Fields, before heading up to home.

24.83 miles in 2h 6m at a steady average of 11.8 mph with 1,312 ft climbed and an average temperature of just 9.0°C

All good, but I hope the better weather returns soon. Glad to get some miles in, but it's a bit different when you're cycling down hills where it doesn't normally take too much effort to top 30 mph to find yourself grafting to keep your speed in the mid to high teens.
That said, I'm sure it's character building, or something...:laugh:
Despite the weather, there were still a fair few cyclists out. Sorry no pics today, being up against time I didn't stop anywhere.

And to end, the map:
28042019.JPG

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

13 rider

Guru
thanks i got up about 15 mins before i had to leave for your ride, wasn't going to happen :sad:
No problems @cyberknight
Today was my first forum ride this year I had plotted a 37 mile loop around Market Bosworth . I wanted a few more miles so out the door at 0730 into chilly conditions . Despite the forecast saying no rain the sky looked full of it . A loop around the back of Bradgate park to target a strava segment . Took 30 seconds off a 10 min effort now 12th overall .Got back to my village and considered returning home for a rain jacket but took the risk of getting wet . Groby ,Ratby ,Kirby Muxloe ,Desford got to Market Bosworth early and was about to do some loops round the town when I spotted the south Derbyshire peleton waiting so rolled in for a chat . Discovered @Chris Doyle despite living the nearest had driven to the start ( lazy so and so ). We had @Lilliburlero and his mates Paul and Bob and @Chris Doyle friend Martin as we were all early we had a bit of a wait for @Supersuperleeds but he was a tad early .Off we go round the lovely lanes around Bosworth it's wonderful cycling territory . Two climbs up to Orton on the hill then the climb after Austrey but nothing too bad just before the cafe stop Paul and Bob turned for home . The cafe stop was the Alpaca farm at Snarestone . I had phone them yesterday to tell them we were coming and they puts table aside for us . Nice touch but we decided to sit outside . Refreshments taken. @Lilliburlero had a lovely looking chocolate orange cafe I went for usual sausage sandwich . After a relaxed stop @Lilliburlero and Martin turned for home as they would be going the wrong way back to Bosworth . 3 off us left heading back via the rolling terrain and quiet lanes to Bosworth .Me and @Supersuperleeds drop off @Chris Doyle off at his car happy he'd got a 50km ride in and we head home on our normal route . My turn to lead out @Supersuperleeds out on Hunts hill repaying the times he's done it for me . Another photo finish was required to see who crested first but I'm claiming it :becool:. We parted company at Kirby Muxloe leaving me to extend my route home to get 72 miles in ( current Eddington 71) . @Supersuperleeds got 65 miles in . A really strange day weather wise it seemed to threaten rain all day but we stayed dry :rolleyes: if the sun broke through it was warm but never really warmed up . A great ride with great company at a fairly brisk pace I averaged 16.5mph for my distance

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
7E9BDA50-1714-42ED-A3C1-9C6651812F2C.jpeg
1FEBA587-50C7-44DF-BC52-A64F437D0844.jpeg
209DD2D9-06C9-46B3-B9F3-69E9BB7BC87C.jpeg

Out at 3pm on the Tricross, cloudy when first out but the sun came out and it ended up being a lovely afternoon ride.
41.3 miles with an average of 16.1 mph.

Last edited:
No problems @cyberknight
Today was my first forum ride this year I had plotted a 37 mile loop around Market Bosworth . I wanted a few more miles so out the door at 0730 into chilly conditions . Despite the forecast saying no rain the sky looked full of it . A loop around the back of Bradgate park to target a strava segment . Took 30 seconds off a 10 min effort now 12th overall .Got back to my village and considered returning home for a rain jacket but took the risk of getting wet . Groby ,Ratby ,Kirby Muxloe ,Desford got to Market Bosworth early and was about to do some loops round the town when I spotted the south Derbyshire peleton waiting so rolled in for a chat . Discovered @Chris Doyle despite living the nearest had driven to the start ( lazy so and so ). We had @Lilliburlero and his mates Paul and Bob and @Chris Doyle friend Martin as we were all early we had a bit of a wait for @Supersuperleeds but he was a tad early .Off we go round the lovely lanes around Bosworth it's wonderful cycling territory . Two climbs up to Orton on the hill then the climb after Austrey but nothing too bad just before the cafe stop Paul and Bob turned for home . The cafe stop was the Alpaca farm at Snarestone . I had phone them yesterday to tell them we were coming and they puts table aside for us . Nice touch but we decided to sit outside . Refreshments taken. @Lilliburlero had a lovely looking chocolate orange cafe I went for usual sausage sandwich . After a relaxed stop @Lilliburlero and Martin turned for home as they would be going the wrong way back to Bosworth . 3 off us left heading back via the rolling terrain and quiet lanes to Bosworth .Me and @Supersuperleeds drop off @Chris Doyle off at his car happy he'd got a 50km ride in and we head home on our normal route . My turn to lead out @Supersuperleeds out on Hunts hill repaying the times he's done it for me . Another photo finish was required to see who crested first but I'm claiming it :becool:. We parted company at Kirby Muxloe leaving me to extend my route home to get 72 miles in ( current Eddington 71) . @Supersuperleeds got 65 miles in . A really strange day weather wise it seemed to threaten rain all day but we stayed dry :rolleyes: if the sun broke through it was warm but never really warmed up . A great ride with great company at a fairly brisk pace I averaged 16.5mph for my distance
Yes that was a bit bone idle of me :laugh:to drive to Bozzie but today was solely about getting over the line for the 50k.

Yet another great ride though- soft pedalling all the way and still averaged over 16 myself.
https://strava.app.link/RhZ7IUgdgW
https://www.relive.cc/view/2325182671

Mike_P

Guru
The Defy ended up having a quite day slumbering in its shed. Not intended but I simply could not work out what to wear - one moment it was short everything and the next long everything and thickest as well, so instead having messed around with the ebiked hybrid decided it would be best to give it run out to check things over, rather than leaving it to tomorrow mornings commute, and I did need to go the farm shop at the showground - so a 10 mile circular route in jeans, t shirt, sweatshirt, normal jacket and yellow hi vis, albeit somewhat obscured at the back by the rucksack. The return was through the non-show part of the showground, which was packed even more than normal with parked cars and coaches due it being the Spring Flower Show. The normal bridleway sections were in use as car park exits, suppose a car does have defined direction so it was probably safer than the normally encountered demented mongrel along there, although I did have to stop for a mini road train, its driver too busy talking to the driver of one going in the other direction. It did mean that for the first time ever I exited the bridleway onto the road passing a green traffic light - the car in front must have triggered something as normally the light sticks firmly on red and you have no option but to jump it, as did the two cyclists in front of the car; there is a push button for the light but that is set at horse rider height.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
No problems @cyberknight

Your lead out was rubbish. I didn't even get a PB :rolleyes:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
View attachment 464356 View attachment 464357 planned to ride with @Lilliburlero and co on the forum ride but after being up with kids half the night due to MIL passing away i was not up in time so went with my normal club ride , 2 groups that met up at the strawberry cabin
<iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='View: https://www.strava.com/activities/2325326976/embed/53e08fa5ef832f240a8d52023d98fb7ae453a22e
'></iframe>
A like for the ride. My condolences for your loss.

Top Bottom