Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndreaJ

Veteran
Another short ride today as I wimped out yesterday due to the wind, round one of my regular short routes around Whixall, through to Alkington, back to Fenns Bank, Hollinswood, Coton , Edstaston ,Ryebank ,Highfields, Horton then home. It was a bit dull and windy so decided on long sleeves and shorts which was a bit chilly to start but soon warmed up. Lots of cyclists out today including one who had dressed for midwinter and a group of ladies who I haven't seen before and only saw 3 cars. 16.7 miles, average speed 15.6 mph didn't get wet or muddy today which was an improvement on the last 2 rides.

Mr Celine

Discordian
I set off into a gentle easterly breeze on a clockwise circuit through Berwickshire. First stop to take a photo of the ruins of Corsbie Tower, a fifteenth century tower house which isn't visible from any main road.

IMG_20190428_144759[1].jpg

Next stop was on the B6456 shortly after crossing the Blackadder Water. I was trying to get a shot that would capture the remoteness and tranquility of the scene, except it wasn't tranquil at all. There were at least 5 larks overhead (though I never managed to spot any of them), a couple of peewits and an oystercatcher, all trying to drown out the noise of the lambs in the fields. Dirrington Little Law in the background.

IMG_20190428_152054[1].jpg

And again, a couple of miles further on. Fewer larks but more lambs and some primroses growing by the burn. Dirrington Little Law on the left, Dirrington Great Law on the right.

IMG_20190428_152939[1].jpg

Looking downstream over the bridge, where much of the cacophony was coming from -

IMG_20190428_152951[1].jpg

Turning south, I stopped at the end of the avenue to Marchmont House. This used to be a Sue Ryder home but was closed about 15 years ago and is now privately owned. It's a long avenue - the house can barely be seen on the horizon!

IMG_20190428_155055[1].jpg

The Earl of Marchmont, whose hoose this was, even had his own private railway station - out of sight so as not to spoil the view or scare the horses.

IMG_20190428_155341[1].jpg

A brief stop at the Hilary memorial where I unwittingly photobombed my own picture.

IMG_20190428_160658[1].jpg

Then one last picture at Hume Castle. Which isn't a castle but a folly built on the site of a castle.

IMG_20190428_163208[1].jpg

Today's map -

upload_2019-4-28_21-42-21.png

53.2 miles and 993m onwards and upwards, average speed 14.5mph.

Club ride today and big contrast to last weekend

We were heading to Farncombe, just outside Godalming

Outward route was via Ottershaw, Old Woking, Guildford, And Peasmarsh

Return route was via Compton, Wanborough over the Hog's Back, Normandy and Chobham

Lower numbers today 6 stated , 2 leaving us before the lunch stop, but 1 extra there who uses and e bike to help him do rides he could not otherwise manage

The Stop was at Hectors on the Wey, alongside the Wey Navigation (a canal) and the River just behinf.
Hector calls this a Bistro, a bit of a stretch but The food was welcome.

Wind was present and quite cold but we got a bit of a tailwind on parts of thereturn journey
50.4 miles at ave moving speed of 15.6 mph.
1542 feet climbed

https://www.strava.com/activities/2325348808

C R

Guru
I had great plans for lots of riding in April, but things got in the way, and after a good start, I ended not having many riding opportunities.

With no other plans today, and the weather looking good, I took the chance to go for a second metric half this month.

Early start as usual for me, out of the house at twenty to seven, heading for Kempsey via the A38, with the wind behind me for a change. Made good time to Baynhall, where it was a left for Kerswell Green, heading for Croome. After turning left over the M5, into High Green, I heard some rustling in the hedge to my right, and a deer came bounding across the road, and leaping into the field to the left. It all happened so quickly that I didn't have time to react. I was lucky the deer didn't come out half a second later, or it would have wiped me out.

Luckily the ride continued uneventfully past Croome, and on to Pershore via Rebecca Rd. The last bit of this road is a slog, which is not particularly steep overall, but gets steeper as it goes on, and by the time I reach the top I am always wishing I had paced myself better.

At the traffic lights at Pershore it was a right for Pinvin, and again Station road is closed due to the new development. These closures have been going on forever, but at least the cycle path is still open. So past the roadworks, across the A44, through Pinvin and then a right for Throckmorton. I stopped by the Village hall for a rest, a drink and a nut bar, all the while under the watchful eye of the horses in the field across.

Next was Bishampton, and now I had the wind to the side and against, which combined with the rolling terrain made progress slower, as I was struggling to get into a consistent rhythm. This continued through Flyford, Huddington and past Phepson, where I turned towards Shernal Green, and the more sheltered road made the riding a bit easier.

For the final stretch through Oddingley and Tibberton I had the wind behind again, which was helpful by now. After that, past the hospital, through the country park and home via St Peters.

No photos, as it was a rather dull looking morning.

36 miles at a moving average speed of 13.9mph. The map.
IMG_20190428_233716.jpg

I had to bring my bike into work this morning: I was late and then the tram was delayed so I brought it with me and rode some of the way. Due to Stuttgart's perculiar geography the tram loops quite close to my work and then curves away again (It makes sense on a map) so I got off early and rode down the hill.

Bikes are banned on the tram from 4-6:30pm, so I will probably have to ride back using a route out of the city and back via another valley and some forests.

Life can be so hard at times.

Forgot to pick up milk while I was in Tesco early doors to get some pate-style cat food for Poppy and couldn't be bothered to go back. I'd been planning on a ride anyway, so a leisure ride to Coveney turned into a utility ride to and around Littleport instead.

Took Wiggy #2, the Chartres, with shiny new pannier fixed to the rack, and pedalled off to the Co-op for 4 pints of full cream milk.

Usual route via Downham Common, Black Bank and Parson's Lane, with the extra loop around Parson's Lane thrown in. Then a quick duck into the Co-op before heading home.

10 rather chilly miles - should've taken a gilet, as I wasn't quite warm enough (long-sleeved jersey, 3/4 tights). But it's nothing a nice post-ride :cuppa: can't solve. Enjoyed it though, helped take my mind off the fact that Poppy is at the vet for the day having her gnashers fettled with.

8mph

Veteran
I had an early morning ride up onto Dartmoor, starting in Ashburton and passing through Poundsgate, Widdecombe, Haytor Vale.
IMG_20190429_085853_edit.jpg

It's the first opportunity that I've had to ride my Carlton somewhere properly hilly. I've been wondering how I'd cope without a granny ring but the bike is significantly lighter than my tourer and all went well.

It's great getting up onto the moor first thing, I must have only passed 5 other vehicles. The ride was a bit if a trip down memory lane for me, these are the lanes that I used to ride on my first road bike, an Alan Shorter, 26 years ago.

Last edited:

The_Weekend_Report_Guy

Pablo's Cycling Tours
Times changed for sure since I got married...

I had a group today of riders that were going for a ride before on of them got married tomorrow.

So I called the ride: "Now that is a different kind of bachelor party"

Guy in the middle is the one getting married, he looks so happy!

58629808_2117755468319862_8978245626068205568_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.jpg

Plenty of shade in this climb.

57348123_2117755561653186_8387749165454589952_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.jpg

And the views? Amazing!

57373082_2117755628319846_5798401850432552960_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.jpg

And to finish today's post I give you this one that is ready to go in a cycling calendar or something like that.

58462648_2117756014986474_7221734637729480704_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.jpg

43 km and 1250 meters of climbing in 3 hours. Awesome weather..!

After yesterdays ride which felt in the depth of winter todays felt almost sub tropical at 11 degree and only a 6mph ENE breeze. It was an excuse to try out my summer bike with it`s new 17 degree stem( already mentioned on a different post). I did one of the usual routes ( it does get repetitious) to Buxhall, Brettenham and Rattlesden, all of which was pretty quiet traffic wise. Passed a few other cyclists, some in lyrca and one wearing a straw hat, he was not wearing lyrca I must add. I got a wave from them all, so felt happy. The only birds of note I saw today were yellowhammers, which seem to be in abundance this year, anyone else noticed this ? The only fly in the cycling ointment was being overtaken by some herbert driving a Golf just as I was slowing to stop at a humpback bridge where the oncoming traffic had right of way. There were two cars there waiting but the Golf went flying past and over the bridge. I guess the rules of the road don`t apply to Golfs ! ( no offence meant to Golf drivers, it just happened to be what it was )A good ride, 21.7 with a 17.6 average, actually 28.3kph sounds better.

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
It might be the post weekend blues or something similar, but this morning again felt on the cool side. Cool for here being anything less than twenty six degrees or so. Dry again, I saw some serious rain this last few days and some was left around for the puddle dodgers to play with. Later on in today’s pedalling progress one couple stopped to discuss their way across a puddle and parked their bikes right across the track. They were very surprised when I asked them to let me through . . .

But before that, the ride started with the descent. It has to be ridden with care, which is not easy for me. The sort of hill that I walk up ( yes I have! ) on the balls of my feet, it is so steep. A bit less steep than the northern side of Sharp Edge on Blencathra, but not much. And the surface is about as rough. Anyway, more rideable roads lead along Beira Mar to the new road bridge, across that to the mainland and head east, with a bit of south thrown in. Sao Jose was sort of where I was aiming, with the vague idea of riding further. The first bit after the bridge is easy riding, quiet and well surfaced roads. Even the hill away from the beach has little traffic, which makes me wonder where the cars come from after I have ridden over the crest of that hill, ‘cos the drop down the other side is always busy. A mystery. But this road then goes through Abraao and after a bit of guesswork the cycle path along what seems to be called Praia Comprida is found. Long Beach is a good translation, I am told.

Lack of thought strikes again. At the end of the beach the track pops out onto a road. One way traffic the opposite direction to the way I want to go, and I had seen this on my last visit. Not in the mood for bodging about attempting to find a road for ( squints at the map ) Palhoca and further around the coast, this is where I turned around to ride back. I will try next time, maybe.

Things always look different from the opposite direction. Yeah, the back of a road sign tells you very little, but thinking more about roads and buildings. A block of apartments, for example. On the way out just those words described it well. On the return journey I thought ‘that is a scruffy block of flats.’ A bit of ugly graffiti on the end wall changed my perception. Ugly graffiti was absent from the rest of the ride, but there were other things to see. Volkswagen make buses, this is the first time I have noticed, mostly while me and it were playing leapfrog along the road back to the bridge. The couple mentioned above, I wonder how they crossed the puddle. There was quite a bit of activity back on the island, is it volleyball that sort of beach tennis? Something of that ilk. There is a helicopter pad, today with added extra helicopter and a passenger who may have been famous, judging by the number of folk watching. Always something happening along here, adds interest as the legs are tiring, and it is only a couple of miles back to home. As ever, the ride ends at the bottom of the hill leading up to the apartment, I have to smile at me allowing the hill to win. And more smile for the twenty two miles of pedalling.

Sort of repetitive, sorry,

29042019.jpg

AndreaJ

Veteran
Spring has returned to Shropshire so a slightly longer ride in the sunshine before going back to work tomorrow after a week off. Decided on a slightly longer version of yesterdays ride going further through Alkington before turning back to Fenns Bank and Fenns Wood where there is a rarity in these parts- a road with smooth tarmac , no potholes/craters and not plastered with mud and farmyard, it's even downhill this way before finding normal roads again. Through Hollinswood to Coton Wood and onto the "main road " for a short distance where I was passed by 2 idiots, first one flew past much faster than I would overtake a cyclist, it is a long straight road so could have slowed down although she did give me plenty of room then spoiled it somewhat by stopping dead just in front of me to turn right, the next car passed much too fast and much to close, I don't think any of his wheels actually crossed the centre lines and I wasn't in the gutter, not sure if he even saw me at all or just didn't care but it was the worst pass I have seen . Stupid bloke has personalised number plates so I recognised the car as it is local. I carried on after muttering some unladylike comments at him which made me feel better, towards Abbeygreen, Edstaston, Ryebank, Foxholes past the dim guinea fowl in the road again on to Northwood and home. Apart from the numpty trying to kill me it was a lovely ride in the sunshine with very little wind which seems to have returned to the usual direction and lots of other cyclists out again. 22.7 miles average speed 15.9mph

gavgav

Guru
Another short post work ride, to make the most of a nice, warm evening, before another arctic blast supposedly arrives this coming weekend. Warm enough for shorts and t-shirt.

Usual route around Shrewsbury, not much to report, but did see an old Routemaster bus, which was heading back from a sightseeing trip to Ironbridge, according to the display roll. The River Severn was also looking very murky and swollen, following the torrential rain at the weekend and wasn’t far off lapping onto the towpath again, in places.

13.2 miles at 12.4mph avg.

delb0y

Legendary Member
Yay!! Back on the bike. The lurgy put me out of cycling action for all of March and all of April until today. I didn't feel bad after the first fortnight (so could still work - boo!) but just struggled to breath without coughing. So all my plans and schedules and all the hard work in Jan and Feb has gone out the window, but what a lovely ride this evening. Just 16 miles or so round the lanes. But it was soooo nice to be on the bike again :-)

Bike.jpg

Church.jpg

Fields of Gold.jpg

Old Canal.jpg

Top Bottom