Your ride today....

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by gbb, 30 Mar 2008.

1. Donger

Donger Convoi Exceptionnel

I was cycling abroad today too .... in Wales, to be specific. My self-imposed obsession with the Metric Century-a-Month Challenge led me to enter a 100km event (the Gwent Gambol audax) starting in Usk at 08:00 this morning - which required getting up before the milkman for the drive from Gloucester with my clubmate Paul. I really should have taken some photos in the stunning Usk Valley, but we were rattling along so well and enjoying it so much we didn't stop until we got to the first info control at Redwick on the Severn Estuary. From there we picked our way through some Roman ruins at Caerwent and along an even more ruined NCN4 that had more craters than the moon, before heading off for Chepstow via the Bulwark Road:
    34 Bulwark Road.JPG
    Some lovely quiet roads on today's route ... you can always trust Audax UK to find them. Our only navigational error came when descending into Chepstow, when we overshot our left turn and ended up leading a sizeable group of others the wrong way. By a miracle, when we picked our way through an alleyway on foot we came out at a pedestrian crossing directly opposite the control point at Pye Corner and arrived with the trip computer registering exactly the right distance. Jammy or what?
    35 Pye Corner, Chepstow.JPG
    One surprising omission in my vast array of cycle rides done in Gloucestershire, the Forest of Dean and Monmouthshire is that I'd never ridden along the Wye Valley from Chepstow to Tintern Abbey. I put that right today.
    36 Tintern.JPG
    After a bit of a climb out of Chepstow, there was a fantastic descent into Tintern, with great views of the abbey:
    37.JPG
    Next came the monster climb of the day, up a little side valley as far as Trellech, before another sweeping descent into Monmouth. Lovely scenery, lovely weather.
    38 From near Trellech.JPG
    The last info control of the day came at the Steel Horse cafe in Llanvihangel Gobion. We were definitely not riding the right sort of bikes for this place. There is a little black sign outside the beer garden saying something like "No bicycles beyond this point". When I stopped here with @Banjo last year, we left our bikes outside and went inside only to find a brand new, huge motorbike inside the café! One of the other riders in the event kindly took this shot of Paul and me outside the café:
    39 Me and paul.JPG
    Made it back to Usk in 6 hours 30, having taken a café stop in Chepstow and a few brief rests along the way. There were plenty of others drifting in behind us, including one guy who kept trying to reel us in but who I actually managed to distance every time we hit a hill. I'm really feeling the benefit of losing 10lbs in weight recently. A great ride in great company and well worth the early start. Bikes loaded back on the car, we set off back to Gloucester both agreeing that this was one of the best routes we've ever done.
    40 Done and dusted.JPG
    After a long, hot soak, I'm already starting to ache, but won't mind that at all in the morning. I can thoroughly recommend the Gwent Gambol audax to all comers for next year. Wonderful stuff.
    Cheers, Donger.

Last edited: 13 Apr 2019
    Katherine, Spiderweb, galaxy and 22 others like this.
  2. cosmicbike

cosmicbike Perhaps This One..... Moderator

Been off the thread for a bit, not feeling the cycling ATM. I've ridden every day, but utility or work, no 'me' rides. Popped to Plymouth yesterday to see the family, and after a kip me and the lad did Drakes Trail from Plymouth to Tavistock. Nice ride out, cold ride back. Still, at 32 miles the longest for a month and my boy did well.

Katherine, Spiderweb, galaxy and 18 others like this.
  3. AndreaJ

AndreaJ Active Member

Todays ride was another route round the lanes of Whixall and although the sun was shining it was much colder today which needed more layers than has been necessary for a while. I set out towards Whixall passing through Welsh End, Fenns Bank, Alkington, Tilstock for the only bit of main road on this route, back into Whixall, Hollinswood, Goblins Lane, StanleyGreen, Coton, Waterloo, Edstaston, Paddolgreen, Foxholes, Horton and home. Saw a few other cyclists out, this area is popular with cyclists for the local café stops with a few group/club rides showing on strava. Beautiful sunny day if a bit chilly and what BBC weather app described as a moderate breeze was strong enough to blow me sideways more than once! Lots of lambs out in the fields now and lots of wildflowers in the grass verges and clear enough to enjoy the view over the Welsh hills in the distance.. 24 miles at average speed 15.6mph and 2 PR's on Strava( with tailwind)

Katherine, Spiderweb, galaxy and 18 others like this.
  4. Billy Wizz

Billy Wizz Über Member

5. Mike_P

Mike_P Veteran

Well done to everyone braving the freezing wind :cold: - after a weeks ebike commuting to work and back my lips are seriously sore despite using balm and a snood so no :bicycle:this weekend :sad: and there I was hoping to knock up a few hours for the BC Ride Seven Challenge.

6. Good for you. Glad you enjoyed yourself...

Billy Wizz and C R like this.
  7. 13 rider

13 rider Guru

Good to here your still out and about hope your mojos returning and a big well done to cosmic junior

Billy Wizz, Pat "5mph" and C R like this.
  8. cosmicbike

cosmicbike Perhaps This One..... Moderator

Cheers @13 rider , just not got the urge ATM, sure it will return. At least I've got the half century in for April, plan to do the 100km at some point when I can get my ass in gear! Mini CB did a great job, found the way out easy but after falling off one of the jumps at the track in Tavistock the ride home was with a somewhat scraped and bleeding shin, nothing he hasn't done before. Matched his longest ride, though last time it was a flat ride along the Thames so this one a bit harder.

9. cyberknight

cyberknight Wibble

Planned to do 1st club ride after weeks of non starters due to the lurgy but got a call at 5 am saying MIL in hospital and to come down ASAP. 2nd heart attack and pneumonia .It was touch and go last night but thankfully she seems more with it now

10. 13 rider

13 rider Guru

A time restricted Sunday today so out the door at 0900 for a couple of 2 hrs so 50km target . Lovely and sunny :sun: as a roll out but a definite chill in the air :cold: . Anstey ,Cropston ,Rothley and Cossington on to the steady climb of humble lane which I tend to go hard at caught and past 3 riders then as I neared the top I became aware of a rider on my shoulder I presumed one of the 3 riders had drafted me up th hill . I was surprised when it turned out to be a different rider on a mountain bike !! . I was glad when I spotted the motor on it I thought I'd lost my speed . The mountain bike must have been derestricted as I was doing 14mph when he flew past me :surrender:. Up the Wreake valley where I relaxed my pace and the 3 riders caught me up so a bit of chatting as we rode together for a few miles . At Hoby I went left and they went straight on. The climb into Ragdale then a quick drop then the steep climb out up past the health spa . Nice steady descent down Paudy lane into Barrow on soar ,Quorn ,Mountsorrel ,Rothley and home had to ride past home for a quarter of a mile and back to get 50km in . The time I got home the sun had gone in and the temperature had definitely dropped . 31.2 miles at 17.3 mph well happy with my speed today .

Last edited: 14 Apr 2019
  11. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Never used Über Member

After yesterdays short but chilly ride, it felt even colder this morning despite what the thermometer was reading - that wind from the east really made itself felt.

Sadly time limited again, so another local loop to keep the legs turning.
    Coal Road and good news - the traffic lights detected the bike! Glad they've finally fixed them (again).
    Onto Skeltons Lane and up to the A58, spotting a couple of police traffic cars sat on the forecourt of the petrol station across the way. Hmmm...something afoot?
    A few hundred yards up Wetherby Road and there seemed to be a lot of activity in the pub car park for early on a Sunday morning.
    Getting closer it was some sort of club run for Porsche owners - there must have been 50 or more porkers lined up, with drivers stood around ready for the off.
    That might explain the police presence just up the road...keep an eye out for them on Police Interceptors :laugh:
    Left onto Whin Moor Way, where a very trick looking Caterham was parked up and out into the countryside and up to Shadwell.
    Right at the junction and the descent back through the village, noticing several signs warning of restrictions for the Tour de Yorkshire in a few weeks.
    Across the junction at the end and the sharp climb up to the A58, across and onto Carr Lane for the ups and downs towards Thorner.
    Into the village and doing well for time I headed past St Peters Church and up Milner Lane, which never seems to get any easier :bicycle:
    Along the ridge to Holme Farm Lane and then to Rigton Green, before looping back via the wonderfully quiet Bramham Lane and Jewitt Lane.
    Retraced my route back into Thorner and then straight through the village to tackle the climb up Sandhills (aka Van Zyl Hill) head on. Sadly the writing on the road from the inaugural TdY has now all but gone, but there was another sign warning of restrictions for this years race, so I stopped for a pic:
    IMG_20190414_104533970_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    Back on the bike and along Skeltons Lane where the race will go on Friday 3rd May (so I expect to slip even further down the segment rankings...^_^) and left at the roundabout onto Coal Road.
    Along there for a bit, then onto local roads down to home.

15.6 miles (25.1 km) in 1h 19m at a steady average of 11.9 mph with just 787 ft climbed and an average temperature of 3.0°C :cold:

Enjoyed that once I'd warmed up. Loads of cyclists out today, like a summers day almost, numbers wise.
    I do hope it warms up again soon though as I'm not enjoying this chilly snap at all.

And to end, the map:
    14042019.JPG

12. Stonechat

Stonechat Veteran

Sunday so HDW club run, and frosty start so layered up.

We went to Watts Gallery Tearooms at Compton, via Chobham, Pirbright, Wanborough up the tough hill up the Hog’s Back, and back via Peasmarsh, Guildford, mayford, skirting round Woking and Chertsey.

46.5 miles at ave moving speed of 15.7 mph.
    1555 feet climbed though it seemed more.

Wind was not strong, though occasionally we were into a headwind

https://www.strava.com/activities/2289229903

13. Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil Overconfidentii Vulgaris Moderator

I've struggled with motivation to get out in the cold and the wind this weekend. Didn't get out at all yesterday after getting chilled while working in the garden and had a slow get up this morning so missed that chance. After lunch though I made myself put some warm layers on and get the Raleigh out. It's been quite a strong easterly wind all day so after browsing the map I thought that a clockwise version of my Cardington loop would work reasonably well

I headed over Lyth Hill to start so as not to have a slog along the main road to Condover against the wind but this did mean braving the A49 junction at Hunger Hill which now has quite restricted visibility due to the crop in the adjacent field. After Condover I headed for Cross Houses, with a few issues with the gears shifting oddly on the way, for which I couldn't find an obvious reason. I wonder when I last changed the rearmost section of outer cable?

I used a short section of the A458 from Cross Houses, which was busier than I'd like ideally but fortunately a gap in the traffic appeared just at the right moment for me to turn right onto the road for Cound where the undulating section of the ride starts. I spotted a hare on the way to Harnage Grange - first one I've seen for a while.

Near to Harley I double back on myself just short of the village and got a partial tailwind for the first time this ride, making for an easier run to Kenley Common. A MK2 Jag passed in the other direction - looked nice. I took a right at the end of this lane and climbed up the hill to get the nice fast descent to Church Preen School. By Gretton the road had swung round so the wind was nearly directly behind me. I knew it was a good tailwind here when my gear for the climb was about 3 higher than it usually would be. This assistance carried on after Cardington too making the ascent to Folly Bank easier than usual. The descent the other side was as entertaining as ever and I hit my top speed of 33.2 mph on the way down.

For the rest of the ride back I got on at a very nice pace and decided to take the direct (and mostly flat) route home after Condover to make the most of it. Within sight of home I thought I was going to witness a crash as a motorist blatantly failed to give way at a junction. Fortunately the driver who had priority also had sharp reflexes and avoided contact by inches but received no kind of apology.

Quite busy on the roads today but very few cyclists out that I saw (only 3 of them this time). I'm very glad I made the effort to get out as I felt buzzing with energy afterwards.^_^

34.3 miles at 14.1 mph average.

It wasn't a great day for photography today and I only grabbed a couple of snaps near the end of the ride just to show I'd been out:
    DSC0007381.jpg
    I think this is the first decent pic of the Raleigh that I've taken since fitting the new saddle. It looks good and is comfortable. A honey one would have been nice but they weren't on the offer.

DSC0007382.jpg
    A view of the hills from the same stop. Rather overcast as you see and the cold easterly wind was not nice.

14. Mike_P

Mike_P Veteran

Could have been legal - my 250W speed assistant restricted hybrid does that up a pretty steep climb provided the right gears are selected

15. 13 rider

13 rider Guru

I thought e bikes were restricted to 15 mph .He was certainly faster than that and me

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice