Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Two rides today - one a 10 mile loop into town to sort out a bank transfer for a savings account and to the Post Office to return yet another pair of bib tights (2nd time "large" has turned out to be too short in the leg but baggy everywhere else), then an afternoon regular route for this month's 50km.

One was done in the warmth & bright sunshine, the other turned wet & bitterly cold about 2/3rds of the way round - just a shame it was the longer ride that was wet!

One was done in the warmth & bright sunshine, the other turned wet & bitterly cold about 2/3rds of the way round - just a shame it was the longer ride that was wet!

Always the way...

May day was supposed to be the day I broke the 100k mark, but due to a combination of poor organisation and a small person pouncing on me early in the morning, this became a visiting-the-local-farms morning instead, which is one of Beautiful Daughters favourite things to do, even more now she can ride on her own bike.

So first we went to the cow farm, where I typically forgot to take a picture of all the cows, but we did see a horse and trap:

2019_05_01_Cow_Farm_01.JPG

Then we went to the Rabbit Farm a few hundred metres away, and so called because they have a large rabbit pen next to the road. We stayed awhile here...

2019_05_01_Cow_Farm_02.JPG

And saw tractors with big interesting things on the back:

2019_05_01_Cow_Farm_03.JPG

And then we went to visit the horses, and saw more tractors:

2019_05_01_Cow_Farm_04.JPG

And of course, found some interesting bugs in the field...

2019_05_01_Cow_Farm_05.JPG

It took just over two hours to do about three kilometres, but we had fun.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I couldn't believe how cold it was as I rode over to Upton. My rain jacket went on. Jules H and Pete M were in for this one. Our route was fairly standard as we put Tewkesbury behind us. We looped to Kemerton where Tim A was walking his dog and family. Pete and I did an extra loop at Kemerton then continued by good lanes to Wormington. Today we took the northern lane to drop us not far from Broadway and the cafe.

The forecast had showers in it and one passed through before we took to the Childswickham run. For a change we looped through the village at Hinton. We could see more showers heading our way but we were able to dodge some. A big one blocked our way so we hid in the Lych gate at Eckington. That kept us from a soaking. So that left us with just the usual run back. All were happy to have got out and with just one shower pleased we'd had better weather than expected. 65 smiles

TigerT

Veteran
On Thursday and Friday I did my first 2 days of commuting to work. Thursday was fine, but Friday was cold and raining. 18kms each day. I was planning to use my Brompton, but actually took my old Roubaix. Much better gears for getting up the hills!

This weekend is forecast cold with wintery showers, but when I woke up, it was still dry with a hint of sunshine. So I headed straight out with a plan for my newest 30km circuit.

The weather seemed to be holding, so I extended it by another 10kms taking me out through Otelfingen golf course before rejoining the usual circuit.

Glad to report that after adjusting the toe in on my front brakes, they don’t screech anymore so no neighbours were woken up today. So now the new bike is perfect (although slightly dirty).

Nice to get an unexpected ride in.

2771CEA8-0D74-4152-AFB6-EBF51BB05012.jpeg

gavgav

Guru
I got out for my May Half Century challenge ride, with a busy month ahead, to ensure I got it in early. I did wonder if I’d woken up in January, though, as those Northerly Winds were freezing cold and howling away. Can’t believe I’m still wearing base layers in May.....:cold:

I’d been cycling for about 1/4 of a mile when I had an idiot squeeze between me and a car coming the other way, whilst I was overtaking a parked car. He got some hand signals and a volley.

Battled against the wind to Heathgates and then out onto the road to Upton Magna, where no less than 3 cars gave me idiotic close passes on the narrow lane. It was clearly the day for brainless maniacs, as you will see.

The section down to Withington and Isombridge was ok, with the wind at the side of me, but i then turned into it, to Longdon on Tern and it was hard work. The short section on the main road saw 2 idiots give me plenty of room, but force cars coming the other way to swerve to miss them :thumbsdown:

The wind was again against me to Rodington and Roden, where I paused for some lunch. I didn’t stop for long as I was getting really cold standing there. Continued battling the wind to Poynton, where I finally turned away from it, only to have yet another idiotic fast close pass on a narrow section by a prick in a boy racer Seat Leon. That was the worst of the lot, so far and I was fuming by now, giving him many hand signals.

I finally had a tailwind, up Ebury Hill and down to Upton Magna, where I hit 32mph on the descent. I passed 2 cyclists, on the Pelham Rd, getting a hello off the lady, but a foul glare from the chap :laugh: and the sound of clicking gears as he obviously tried to catch me up again, but didn’t!

The rat run to Atcham was quiet, for a change and I crossed the bridge before taking Chilton Lane, where I had yet another close pass on the really narrow bit, by a prick in an Audi, this time.:cursing: I could quite easily have punched someone by now, if any of them had stopped. Complete and utter idiots the lot of them.

As I climbed the steep bank, Betsy the Black Labrador obviously fancied coming with me, rather than getting into the car at the house up there, as she came running alongside me, until a bellow of “Betsy come here now” from the owner^_^

A bit more climbing before the final 3 miles back into the wind again.

I thought challenge rides were supposed to get easier at this time of the year?

33.1 miles at a wind affected 11.7 mph avg

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
CEEBA62F-3957-44E4-8F07-5889E0579C6D.jpeg
63AF5EB9-3430-46EA-A29D-39894EC73D8B.jpeg

It never ceases to amaze me how lumpy it is round here. The local social Saturday ride sure likes to cram in some climbing in the short space of time we have. Lucky the café stop is always good. There must have been 30 hungry riders who converged to satiate their culinary desires. Great little club with a slow group and an intermediate group. Somewhere over the rainbow, there’s a fast group but I’ve never actually seen them so maybe they exist in another dimension.

63AF5EB9-3430-46EA-A29D-39894EC73D8B.jpeg

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
First Sat of the month so time for an Imperial ton for the challenge . My route today was a 100 miles around Southern Leicestershire into Rutland to grab some veloviewer squares . Out the door at 0720 in to chilly conditions :cold: the wind properly biting . A full mile to the meeting point a few seconds after I got there @Supersuperleeds rolled in and we're off . Anstey ,Cossington ,Gaddesby ,Twyford and onto the big climb of the day Burrough hill I led out at a nice steady pace . The hill has a nice steady gradient so found a nice rhythm and dragged @Supersuperleeds to a pr :becool:. Through the village on Knossington and into Rutland which means rolling terrain constant up and down .A quick there and back square grab at Brooke . Through Oakham turn north into a brutal headwind . Sharing the work with keeps moving at a steady pace . Into Wymondham and a quick coffee at the windmill as always loads of cyclist there . More headwind before we turn for home a climb out of Waltham on the wolds and onto a favourite cafe Nice Pie for lunch :mrpig:. An extended route home via Willoughby on the wolds ,Wymeswold ,Hoton ,Barrow ,Swithland and home in Anstey we parted company @Supersuperleeds decided to extend his route home to do a double metric century . Me just had to drag myself up the hill to home to bank 101.1miles in 6hrs 24mins . Elevations was 5089 ft with only 1 big climb the rest from constant rolling terrain . Amazing we managed to stay dry despite riding on properly wet roads and being chased by really dark clouds . A tough ride made so much easier with company at 50 miles I was mentally tried to figure out a route home to get the distance but avoid the wind but we just stuck at it and got round

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
First ride since 31st March, blagged another couple of letters for ABC towns and villages challenge thread.

Colder and windier than I thought it would, headwinds on the way out. Blagged my letters and went for hot chocolate and cake at Millets Garden Centre, quite a bland cake tbh, and the place seemed full of brain dead parents and irritating whiney kids. Never mind, the ride back was good though, tailwind most of the way back.

28.48 of your imperial miles.

1898F640-E2D4-48FA-8DFB-F74A768C5DDE.jpeg

6D4B31F3-9134-4DDC-BD0A-B2E6D3B1B089.jpeg

First time I’ve been past this place for 19 years, the Fragrant MrsP and I considered buying back then.

B39F6E3B-CB6E-474C-BBFF-F21541A21136.jpeg

077E1342-A5EE-48E2-ACC5-72623BB6827A.jpeg

Blandest cake ever.

F75B2CA8-C2B5-4052-97A8-4EFF77447D3C.jpeg

Dark46

Veteran
received_285892632366342.jpeg
Screenshot_20190505-151323_Strava.jpg
So the main aim of today was to get my longest ever ride in .

Claire arrived just before 07:30 and we set off , the plan was to be over 70.3 miles for me which was my longest ride to date. For Claire that isnt a issue as she has done ride London, am also done 100 miles to the Forest of Dean then over the Severn Bridge.

From the Kingsway we headed to the Elmore loop to do a part instead of going straight down the A38 to Slimbridge like last time.

So we stuck to the lanes to Saul and Frampton before getting to the A38 to the George at Cambridge to go around the back to Slimbridge on route 41.

So we then went to Morend, Wanswell, Berkeley, Hill, Oldbury on Severn and Littleton on Severn before joining the Aust road from Alveston to the Severn Bridge. View attachment 465225 View attachment 465225
IMG_20190505_100504_021.jpg
We then reversed the route until on the Elmore loop when went towards Stonebench and on to Olympus Park before getting on the Kingsway.
It was at the lights here that I cramped up and had to get off the bike at stretch. With Claire telling me which was the best way to do it. We then finished the loop so in the end I achieved my goal of my longest ride .

I wanted it my longest ride to be with Claire as she has been a amazing friend over the last nearly 2 years, since my wife died. Also most of my rides recently have been with her and really enjoyed being with her on and off the bike.

So in the end the ride was 72.41 miles and we averaged 15.6 mph. Which I am really pleased about. It was just a great ride leaving early was the right choice too .

Claire has already said next time will be 80 miles!!

Attachments

• IMG_20190505_100635_750.jpg
    IMG_20190505_100635_750.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20190505_111805_088.jpg
    IMG_20190505_111805_088.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 11
Top Bottom