Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Wow! What a ride. This one had been at least three years in the planning, and it was worth the wait. We are back in Inverinate in NW Scotland on holiday. We usually come here in September, but decided to sample it in May this year. The chilly weather is keeping the midges away and - apart from a bit of drizzle and a quick snow flurry, there was nothing to spoil my latest plan to ride a loop onto the Isle of Skye and back. Wore my thickest winter kit and set off early this morning for the Skye road bridge. By setting off at 7.30 on a Sunday, I missed the usual busy, high speed traffic and barely saw one car per mile until I got to Kyle of Lochalsh. First stop, Eileann Donan Castle:
P1040831.JPG

The A87 was strangely quiet, and it was great to be able to take in the views along the length of Loch Duich and Loch Alsh. Second stop, the viewpoint at Kyle of Lochalsh. Isle of Skye and Skye bridge in background, Kyleakin to the left:
P1040837.JPG

I'd forgotten just how steep the road bridge is, and found myself slogging into a headwind all the way up it. It soon got easier, and after a little detour into Kyleakin, I soon got to Breakish, where I left the A87 and headed for the hills, climbing up Glen Arroch to the pass known as Bealach Udal (the "Pass of Despair"). The road had the opposite effect on me. What a stunningly beautiful road. In this shot I was looking back down towards the Inner Sound, with the Cuillin Hills in the background:
P1040850.JPG

This next shot is facing forward towards the pass. Pictures never tell the whole story. The solitude was fantastic. The only sounds, apart from the wind whistling in my ears were the sound of bubbling streams and a couple of noisy cuckoos:
P1040851.JPG

There were a couple of steep bits, but what a reward when you get to the top. Here you can see the narrow straits called the Kyle Rhea, with the Glenelg peninsula on the mainland beyond. Next followed a very steep descent to the ferry, with wonderfully smooth, new tarmac for the last mile or so. Great fun:
P1040854.JPG

The Glenelg ferry is the last turntable ferry of its kind still working in Britain. You drive on forwards and they turn the deck around so that you can drive off forwards at the other side. It is always an interesting ride crossing the racing currents. In case you are wondering, it is £4 for a bike. The best £4 I've ever spent.
P1040869.JPG

I was the only passenger on the trip over to the mainland:
P1040872.JPG

I'd planned an anti-clockwise route deliberately as the Bealach Udal is much steeper on the Kylerhea Glen side than the Glen Arroch side, and on the mainland side of the ferry is the Mam Ratagan Pass - another one that I know from experience to be much steeper on the West side than the East side. As I climbed the Mam Ratagan, dark clouds were gathering ahead of me, blanking out the mountain tops and it started to rain. This was the beautiful view behind me:
P1040882.JPG

Found it much tougher getting up the pass than I did a few years back, possibly because I'm older now, but probably because of the cumulative effort of taking on two mountains in one ride. The view from the pass always makes it worth all the effort, though. A magnificent view of the end of Loch Duich, with the Kintail Range to the right and Shiel Bridge down below:
P1040886.JPG

..... and finally, a map from my "flatnav". I did a little detour into Kyleakin, which isn't shown, bringing it up to 40.4 miles. I would say it was all done at a very leisurely pace, but there was nothing leisurely about either of the big climbs. It was more a case of taking lots of stops for photos and refreshments. For once it was really difficult boiling it down to just ten pictures, as this really was a stunning, stunning ride:
P1040887.JPG
Not sure how I can possibly follow that, but I do have another good 'un planned for later in the week. Dang, I love it up here!
Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

Billy Wizz

Über Member
Wow! What a ride. This one had been at least three years in the planning, and it was worth the wait. We are back in Inverinate in NW Scotland on holiday. We usually come here in September, but decided to sample it in May this year. The chilly weather is keeping the midges away and - apart from a bit of drizzle and a quick snow flurry, there was nothing to spoil my latest plan to ride a loop onto the Isle of Skye and back. Wore my thickest winter kit and set off early this morning for the Skye road bridge. By setting off at 7.30 on a Sunday, I missed the usual busy, high speed traffic and barely saw one car per mile until I got to Kyle of Lochalsh. First stop, Eileann Donan Castle:
View attachment 465321
The A87 was strangely quiet, and it was great to be able to take in the views along the length of Loch Duich and Loch Alsh. Second stop, the viewpoint at Kyle of Lochalsh. Isle of Skye and Skye bridge in background, Kyleakin to the left:
View attachment 465322
I'd forgotten just how steep the road bridge is, and found myself slogging into a headwind all the way up it. It soon got easier, and after a little detour into Kyleakin, I soon got to Breakish, where I left the A87 and headed for the hills, climbing up Glen Arroch to the pass known as Bealach Udal (the "Pass of Despair"). The road had the opposite effect on me. What a stunningly beautiful road. In this shot I was looking back down towards the Inner Sound, with the Cuillin Hills in the background:
View attachment 465323
This next shot is facing forward towards the pass. Pictures never tell the whole story. The solitude was fantastic. The only sounds, apart from the wind whistling in my ears were the sound of bubbling streams and a couple of noisy cuckoos:
View attachment 465324
There were a couple of steep bits, but what a reward when you get to the top. Here you can see the narrow straits called the Kyle Rhea, with the Glenelg peninsula on the mainland beyond. Next followed a very steep descent to the ferry, with wonderfully smooth, new tarmac for the last mile or so. Great fun:
View attachment 465327
The Glenelg ferry is the last turntable ferry of its kind still working in Britain. You drive on forwards and they turn the deck around so that you can drive off forwards at the other side. It is always an interesting ride crossing the racing currents. In case you are wondering, it is £4 for a bike. The best £4 I've ever spent.
View attachment 465329
I was the only passenger on the trip over to the mainland:
View attachment 465331
I'd planned an anti-clockwise route deliberately as the Bealach Udal is much steeper on the Kylerhea Glen side than the Glen Arroch side, and on the mainland side of the ferry is the Mam Ratagan Pass - another one that I know from experience to be much steeper on the West side than the East side. As I climbed the Mam Ratagan, dark clouds were gathering ahead of me, blanking out the mountain tops and it started to rain. This was the beautiful view behind me:
View attachment 465335
Found it much tougher getting up the pass than I did a few years back, possibly because I'm older now, but probably because of the cumulative effort of taking on two mountains in one ride. The view from the pass always makes it worth all the effort, though. A magnificent view of the end of Loch Duich, with the Kintail Range to the right and Shiel Bridge down below:
View attachment 465337
..... and finally, a map from my "flatnav". I did a little detour into Kyleakin, which isn't shown, bringing it up to 40.4 miles. I would say it was all done at a very leisurely pace, but there was nothing leisurely about either of the big climbs. It was more a case of taking lots of stops for photos and refreshments. For once it was really difficult boiling it down to just ten pictures, as this really was a stunning, stunning ride:
View attachment 465336 Not sure how I can possibly follow that, but I do have another good 'un planned for later in the week. Dang, I love it up here!
Cheers, Donger.

That looks great ^_^

C R

Guru
As others have said, a rather chilly start to the day, but around here there was hardly any breeze.

Out at ten to seven, wearing tights and winter gloves and jacket. Plan was to get another metric half, heading to Tewkesbury, but exploring new ground. Set off down the A38 via Kempsey, then left for Kerswell Green, past Kinnersley, and then heading for Upton instead of the usual Baughton, Strensham and Twinning route.

The temporary lights are finally gone, so it was a swift ride through Upton, which is full of caravans and tents for one of the music festivals. The plan was to head for Tewkesbury, so it was a left for Longdon. The day was actually quite nice despite of the chill, and the views of the southern edge of the Malverns were great.

IMG_20190505_074132452.jpg

I was expecting the road to be lumpier, but it was fairly flat, so managed to keep a good rhythm all the way to the second crossing of the Severn, just before Tewkesbury. The clouds reflection on the surface of the river made for quite an interesting effect.
IMG_20190505_081552225.jpg

And the views of the Malverns
IMG_20190505_081542822.jpg

There seemed to be a bike race going on, passing several cyclists going the other way.

From here I headed back via Bredon and Eckington. I decided to cut the distance a bit and go back via Defford instead of Pershore, which meant I had to deal with two short sharp hills which took some time, but I got a close image of the radio telescope

IMG_20190505_091124508.jpg

And a last one of the Malverns.

IMG_20190505_091149530.jpg
Great ride, and another metric half in the bag.

The map

IMG_20190505_233517.jpg

Katherine

Guru
I had a lovely ride yesterday up to High Legh. I was the slowest, even though I was leading, but nobody minded. It was a social ride and others did take turns at the front when it was a bit they knew. A small group, including 2 new faces which was great. The rest were either away, doing the Tour de Manc or the club metric social century today, which I'm still not up to yet.
We saw lots of lambs in fields, rabbits and birds in the hedgerows and verges, also flowers and blossom. A very bright, cold start but it had clouded over by the time we got home. Less cars and also less cyclists than a usual Sunday.

8mph

Veteran
Sorry, another day late post.
Yesterday's ride was meant to be 4/5 hours but I ended up being out for more like 8 hrs.
It's cycling heaven up on Dartmoor at the moment, quiet roads, sunny but cool and the verges are decked with wild flowers.
I left Ashburton and headed across the moor headed towards Oakhampton. I took a rather meandering route, sticking to tiny roads where possible and a more direct ride back during the afternoon.
IMG_20190505_124047.jpg
IMG_20190505_125510.jpg
IMG_20190505_164759.jpg
IMG_20190505_123713.jpg

Here are a few pics.

Mike_P

Guru
Yesterdays ride on the Defy was west to watch TdY. At the entrance to the local country park I rode into a lost cyclist trying to find his way through it so a leisurely ride into the gentle westerly ensued as he too was off to watch TdY although riding a very heavy looking hybrid. One of those where waiting the top of the hill was needed for him to catch up. Leaving him behind at the Timble crossroads on the Blubberhouses to Otley road I headed south to the Snowdon Bank as per last year but with stacks of time to kill tried my third attempt at climbing Snowdon Carr Road. After a number of zig zags across the road one zag failed to translate into a zig and shanks's pony was called for. Back on the Blubberhouses to Otley road but this time northwards through a marked waste zone to perch on the stone wall half way up Snowdon Bank in time to watch the "caravan" pass by. Then a lengthy cool breezy wait for TdY itself to fly pass in notable contrast to last years worry of had I put enough sun lotion on. Did ponder why the "caravan" could not be more closely timed to the race itself. The race was somewhat more grouped together than last year with the three leaders, the peleton, Cavendish on his own, a small fourth group and then what seemed to the end of the race as non race vehicles appeared so it was a slight surprise to see a fifth group suddenly appear. Also the westerly meant this year the helicopter was safe to provide its own entertainment to the watching spectators as planes to Leeds Bradford Airport were approaching that aiport from the east; there were noticeably far more spectators here than last year.
Headed back, at the Timble Crossroads ran into a cyclist who I had spoken to on the hill and assumed he was following me east back across Fewston reservoir. In Fewston I went via the church and thought he was still following me so waited at the top of the climb north from the church only to discover it was the hybrid cyclist from earlier in the day. It was another last ride along Penny Pot Lane as no sooner as it reopened than it is being closed for 8 weeks tomorrow:sad: 21.51 miles 1618ft climbed. Photos in the tour de yorkshire (spoilers) thread.
This morning ebiked to Asda to find 2/5th of what I wanted either sold out or not stocked:angry:Back home cut the lawn, walked inside and it immediately started hailing :wacko:

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The Fragrant MrsP and I went for a shopping trip to town for some sundry items on the hybrids. Nothing of interest to report, didn’t even take my mobile device for piccies.

I did record it on the Garmin though.

5.68 miles.

4F59E76D-7327-44D7-BFB7-81783CC75A4B.jpeg

geocycle

Legendary Member
Cycled 60 miles east yesterday to watch theTDY at Barden Moor near Embsay. Fantastic ride out over with Malham Tarn with a nice tail wind to take the sting out of the climb. Great coffee stop at Ayrton. Found a good spot to watch the race half way up the climb, great bunch of cyclists for company. Train home from Skipton.

Last edited:
A loop around Tavistock, over roads I've never been on or never cycled on, and some I know well. Out up Bannawell Street, down Drake Road, off to the Viaduct walk NCN 270. At the end, turn right onto Crease Lane, and keep going...
Eventually come out on the Chipshop road, not quite where I planned, but close enough. Straight along to the crossroads above Lamerton and over. Pause in the Attorney General's gateway to let some large agriculturals pass. Bear off right, climb up to Iron Railings Cross, over, and on up to Brentor Church. 8.67 miles to this point, and nearly all climbing. Eat!
DSC00319.JPG

Now it's mostly descent! Down toward Tavistock, bear off left to pass the Dartmoor Gliding Society field, along and steeply down toward the A386 near Pitts Cleeve.
Turn off after rim-heating descent to join NCN27 toward Tavistock and home.
14.09 miles, avg 8.6mph, elevation gain 1141 feet.
And boy, can I feel it!
:biggrin:
Edit: Hit 29.5mph at one point!

Last edited:
Just a quick fizz around the same 10 mile loop as yesterday on Wiggy #1, the Rouen, to test out this morning's bike fettling. Would have been rude not to, really... :laugh:

The lumpy ride out via Downham Hythe to Red Caps and then home via Mill Hill, Adventurers Drove, Corkers Crisps (they might have been frying today, judging by the smell hanging in the air as I rode past), Pymoor and O Furlong. The wind wasn't quite as strong today, but equally it wasn't as favourable on the final leg of the ride. I still had a good bit of fun by winding up a sprint for the last half mile or so anyway. :biggrin:

Tripped the speed trap in Pymoor at 11 mph today. :blush:

Am pleased to report that the RD on the Rouen now shifts as smoothly across the whole cassette as it has done for some time. :wahhey:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Saturday's ride:-

Mrs 26, me, Jules H, Steve E and John G. Cold north wind set us out along the Hams. John took a wrong turn so some phone calls got us back together. The Cheltenham club had 80 riders out. They were riding in several groups of up to 20 or so. Trioscape had served them all very efficiently. We were equally treated too.

We took to the sheltered route back but first we had a few miles with cafe legs into that wind. We diverted to Pauntley church and Court where Dick Wittington was born and raised. The church has an impressive Norman arch. The shelter of the lanes took us to Castlemorton where John took to the head wind along the main road. Just before Welland Stone a dog got tangled up in Mrs 26's wheels. Nasty fall resulted in an ambulance call. After paramedic and then A&E work in Gloucester she was allowed home. 8 stitches in her face and concussion. Xrays on various suspect bits were clear of breaks thankfully. She's done a lot of resting and sleeping since. One huge shiner of an eye and still recovering from concussion. But she is a bit better today (Monday). 43 smiles but the last 6 were just miles.

C R

Guru
Saturday's ride:-

Mrs 26, me, Jules H, Steve E and John G. Cold north wind set us out along the Hams. John took a wrong turn so some phone calls got us back together. The Cheltenham club had 80 riders out. They were riding in several groups of up to 20 or so. Trioscape had served them all very efficiently. We were equally treated too.

We took to the sheltered route back but first we had a few miles with cafe legs into that wind. We diverted to Pauntley church and Court where Dick Wittington was born and raised. The church has an impressive Norman arch. The shelter of the lanes took us to Castlemorton where John took to the head wind along the main road. Just before Welland Stone a dog got tangled up in Mrs 26's wheels. Nasty fall resulted in an ambulance call. After paramedic and then A&E work in Gloucester she was allowed home. 8 stitches in her face and concussion. Xrays on various suspect bits were clear of breaks thankfully. She's done a lot of resting and sleeping since. One huge shiner of an eye and still recovering from concussion. But she is a bit better today (Monday). 43 smiles but the last 6 were just miles.
Like for the ride, not the fall. Hope Mrs 26 mends soon.

Top Bottom