Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Katherine

Guru
.... a dog got tangled up in Mrs 26's wheels. Nasty fall resulted in an ambulance call. After paramedic and then A&E work in Gloucester she was allowed home. 8 stitches in her face and concussion. Xrays on various suspect bits were clear of breaks thankfully. She's done a lot of resting and sleeping since. One huge shiner of an eye and still recovering from concussion. But she is a bit better today (Monday). 43 smiles but the last 6 were just miles.
Sorry to hear that. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Dark46

Veteran
Saturday's ride:-

Mrs 26, After paramedic and then A&E work in Gloucester she was allowed home. 8 stitches in her face and concussion. Xrays on various suspect bits were clear of breaks thankfully. She's done a lot of resting and sleeping since. One huge shiner of an eye and still recovering from concussion. But she is a bit better today (Monday). 43 smiles but the last 6 were just miles.
Hope shes well on the mend. Sounds nasty something going through the wheels

Mrs 26, me, Jules H, Steve E and John G. Cold north wind set us out along the Hams. John took a wrong turn so some phone calls got us back together. The Cheltenham club had 80 riders out. They were riding in several groups of up to 20 or so. Trioscape had served them all very efficiently. We were equally treated too.

We took to the sheltered route back but first we had a few miles with cafe legs into that wind. We diverted to Pauntley church and Court where Dick Wittington was born and raised. The church has an impressive Norman arch. The shelter of the lanes took us to Castlemorton where John took to the head wind along the main road. Just before Welland Stone a dog got tangled up in Mrs 26's wheels. Nasty fall resulted in an ambulance call. After paramedic and then A&E work in Gloucester she was allowed home. 8 stitches in her face and concussion. Xrays on various suspect bits were clear of breaks thankfully. She's done a lot of resting and sleeping since. One huge shiner of an eye and still recovering from concussion. But she is a bit better today (Monday). 43 smiles but the last 6 were just miles.

Ouch. Best wishes to Mrs @twentysix by twentyfive.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable

Mrs 26, me, Jules H, Steve E and John G. Cold north wind set us out along the Hams. John took a wrong turn so some phone calls got us back together. The Cheltenham club had 80 riders out. They were riding in several groups of up to 20 or so. Trioscape had served them all very efficiently. We were equally treated too.

We took to the sheltered route back but first we had a few miles with cafe legs into that wind. We diverted to Pauntley church and Court where Dick Wittington was born and raised. The church has an impressive Norman arch. The shelter of the lanes took us to Castlemorton where John took to the head wind along the main road. Just before Welland Stone a dog got tangled up in Mrs 26's wheels. Nasty fall resulted in an ambulance call. After paramedic and then A&E work in Gloucester she was allowed home. 8 stitches in her face and concussion. Xrays on various suspect bits were clear of breaks thankfully. She's done a lot of resting and sleeping since. One huge shiner of an eye and still recovering from concussion. But she is a bit better today (Monday). 43 smiles but the last 6 were just miles.
Ouch! Hope Mrs26 recovers soon.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A little commute today, just under 6 miles, nothing special but I noticed on my Garmin app that the satellite map doesn’t show the new housing estate I cycled through.

C653D598-D2DD-4FE8-A1E0-E42B6B509D51.jpeg

The red line is my route it shows farm land but is now mostly houses and schools. My start point is where Aureus school is in the photo below.
3F586254-63C2-488C-B11A-CEC862A437FC.jpeg

More or less how it is today.

Feckin sad isn’t it?

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
First ride for a week and I wanted to make it a good one since the weather doesn't look too good for the next few days, so brought out the Galaxy. The route was one of my regulars, although one that I haven't done for a while: Condover. Longnor, Acton Burnell, Cressage, Eaton Constantine, Walcot, Upton Magna, Cross Houses, Condover and back.

The Galaxy felt good from the start after the adjustments last time out, but by Ryton I could tell it still wasn't quite right as the legs were feeling a bit strained and I seemed to run out of energy on a minor climb, so the saddle was tweaked again (raised a little bit).

Pressing on again the bike felt a lot better and I made decent progress to Longnor. Then on the way to Acton Burnell I thought I must be on the right track with the setup when I was able to carry my speed all the way up the climb at Frodesley.:hyper: I did have a bit of a tailwind but not as strong as all that.

The middle of the ride was pleasantly uneventful as far as Cross Houses where I found the lane past Berrington Hall unusually busy, then at the crossroads with King Street had to take evasive action as a car swung into the lane on my side of the road.

The remainder of the trip was fast (for me) and enjoyable.

A fraction under 34 miles at 16 mph average and a 31.6 mph top speed. Fairly chuffed with that and it was one of those rides that left me buzzing with energy afterwards.

Just the one pic from today taken on the old bridge at Atcham:
DSC0007418.jpg

My ride yesterday was one of my usual jaunts to Mendlesham, Cotton, Bacton & Stowupland via Gipping (22.9 miles). Mendlesham had their usual May bank holiday street fayre. The road was closed but at least there is another road that runs parallel so I did`nt have to get off and walk. From what I saw the people who were there looked perished looking at the stalls. I felt colder on the bike yesterday than on Saturday and Saturday I got hailed upon ! In fact I am back to wearing what I was in winter. It is May is`nt it ? pinch me please. On May 1st when I went out it felt tropical at 17 degrees and I broke into a sweat. Not yesterday, cool as a cucumber. I did`nt see much in the bird world but I did see a couple of massive hares running along the road and they were big. There would have been a third one but sadly he ended his life as road kill, such as waste as there are not that many about these days. It took me ages to warm up again once I got home but glad that I went out and managed 18mph average, that seems about my peek at the moment. Happy days.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Yet another cool and grey day in this corner of Suffolk and, when planning the route for today's ride last night at least, the forecast was for dry weather.

I'd decided to head for Framlingham and back, so headed out on a more direct route to Woodbridge than normal, missing out an extra loop around Newbourne which then allowed me to take in the run to Rendlesham and Campsea Ashe instead of going direct to Wickham Market. After that it was along the B road to Hacheston and turning off at Parham and up through North Green to approach Framlingham from the west. A loop around the town followed, avoiding the touristy/day tripper areas, but still allowing a view of the Mere and the Castle...
Framlingham Mere & Castle.jpg
Once out of town I headed roughly southwards on the minor roads through Aspey Green, Kettleburgh and Easton where I was met with a heavy rain shower that seemed to have escaped the BBC forecast. The villages of Hoo and Charsfield were next, as was a second failure of the BBC with another heavy shower. After that is was plain (and dry) sailing through Dallinghoo, Bredfield and Hasketon and on to a familiar run through Little Bealings, albeit usually in the other direction. The last 13 miles or so was a regular run along the Playford road into Ipswich, and home via Bucklesham to complete the metric century for May. https://www.strava.com/activities/2348826728
Screenshot_2019-05-07 Framlingham with unexpected rain Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2019-05-07 Framlingham with unexpected rain Ride Strava(1).png

gavgav

Guru
My early finish day from work and so out for a short ride under the grey skies. Still cold out but at least that wind has dropped.

A dry few days meant the Carbon was back out and so I did a circular route through Meole, Hook a Gate, Annscroft, Stapleton, Ryton, Condover and Betton.

The main road to Annscroft seemed busier than I’ve ever seen it, I’m guessing that people are so fed up with the constant roadworks on the A49 and are using the B road as a normal route now. Traffic was all well behaved though, which was welcome after the complete opposite on Saturday’s ride.

Nothing else to report really, oh other than it started to rain for the last mile, but thankfully nothing very heavy.

14.79 miles at 13.3mph avg

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Only 10 miles today, but quality made up for lack of quantity of miles. Had a great day out watching deer on the Applecross Peninsula, then when back at the house, ended up watching a seal ducking and diving in the loch. Before I knew it, it was 6.30pm, and I only had time for a short ride. The main A87 runs straight past the top of the drive, and there is a tiny side road on the opposite side with a signpost for "Carr Brae Viewpoint." I'd ridden that road a few years ago, but couldn't resist doing it again. It is a steep little climb up through the bluebell woods:
P1040910.JPG

..... after which the view opens up and you get spectacular views of Loch Duich from two or three hundred feet above the A87.
P1040893.JPG

Down below you can see the salmon fisheries:
P1040896.JPG

Next comes a great aerial view of Eilean Donan Castle at full tide:
P1040897.JPG

After that, I dropped down into Dornie:
P1040899.JPG

.... and got another shot of the castle:
P1040900.JPG

..... before ambling along the South side of Loch long as far as the end of the road at Bundalloch on the edge of Sheikh Al Makhtoum's Inverinate Estate:
P1040903.JPG

I could have just raced back along the A87, which was now quite quiet, but couldn't resist the thought of retracing my steps and re-taking the high road instead - even though that meant doing an even steeper climb.
P1040905.JPG

That had to have been one of the very best ten mile rides I've ever done. I even managed to look happy in my selfie, which is a rarity:
P1040906.JPG

And just like that, I'm approaching the half-way point in the holiday. This is going far too fast. Oh, well. Back to the Isle of Skye tomorrow for another stonking great ride that I've been wanting to do for years.
Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:
Top Bottom