Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My ride today - 20-something-ish miles to and from Ely and in and around Cambridge in the company of Wiggy #2, the Chartres.

Left a bit later than I should have done, so rode eyeballs out to Ely Station in the hope that I wouldn't miss my train. I didn't, thank goodness. Hanging around for an hour for the next one wouldn't have been my idea of fun, as I get the cheap ticket that's valid only on Greater Anglia...

Smashed 5 *minutes* off my best time. :hyper:

But owwwww, my poor legs. They really weren't thanking me for that... I normally like to ride at a comfortable pace... For the rest of the day I was slower than a snail dragging an anchor. :surrender:

Still, I did the usual bimblage from Cambridge North, through Chesterton , along the river and across the common into town, out to the Newmarket Road, back the the Grafton, then on to the market... If you've got loads of things to do in Cambridge, then getting around on a bike is the way to do it. Caught a couple of showers while out and about. Had a cafe stop in MaccyD for a hot choccy before tootling back to Cambridge North with legs of lead. And then home from Ely with legs of collapsed matter... :blush:

Fun moment of the day was the Chartres sharing a rack with another Wiggins bike - in this case, a Rouen 700C roadie. But the poor thing looked rather worse for wear, with a rusty drivetrain, peeling bar tape and scuffed paint... :sad: Mind, it's only the fourth one I've ever seen while out and about in all this time...

KW-Ofi_via Esslingen.jpg

Yesterday was another "Oh, poo, I'm going to be late" day and I ended up cycling all the way into work. No problems there, but coming back that either meant leaving early to be at the top of the hill by 1600, when the bike ban starts on the tram, or cycling through the city to get the rack tram, or riding along the Neckar valley and up the hill in Esslingen, which is a 130m climb in just over 2k.

Of course I had to be in a meeting, and of course it overran to 1545 which meant the Esslingen route. I also wanted to see how quickly a moderately unfit bloke and 90's MTB could make this route.

After a frustratingly long wait at the first set of lights, I reached the only downhill section on the whole run which brought me alongside the river. Well, if you don't count the small factories, wood wholesalers, and inevitable car dealerships. Thankfully there's a back route that avoids the worst of this mess while wriggling through the inner suburbs, which brought me safely through Wangen, then Hedelfingen, then the uglier end of Esslingen.

At this point I went exploring: instead of crossing the river and going through the old town, I decided to try a more direct route and would you believe it but there actually is one. A route no less with minimal car traffic and only one awkward detour through a shopping centre which was entirely my own fault, or possibly the Universe telling me to get a cycle computer from a certain large sports chain.

Ignoring this materialistic impulse, I reached Esslingen, or more accurately Pliensauvorstadt, and then the climbing began.

Normally this takes about 15 to 20 minutes but either due to increased fitness or a large bus following me up a narrow section I made it in twelve.

Even better I was not actually rained on.

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Only 10 miles today, but quality made up for lack of quantity of miles. Had a great day out watching deer on the Applecross Peninsula, then when back at the house, ended up watching a seal ducking and diving in the loch. Before I knew it, it was 6.30pm, and I only had time for a short ride. The main A87 runs straight past the top of the drive, and there is a tiny side road on the opposite side with a signpost for "Carr Brae Viewpoint." I'd ridden that road a few years ago, but couldn't resist doing it again. It is a steep little climb up through the bluebell woods:
View attachment 465598
..... after which the view opens up and you get spectacular views of Loch Duich from two or three hundred feet above the A87.
View attachment 465600
Down below you can see the salmon fisheries:
View attachment 465602
Next comes a great aerial view of Eileann Donan Castle at full tide:
View attachment 465603
After that, I dropped down into Dornie:
View attachment 465605
.... and got another shot of the castle:
View attachment 465607
..... before ambling along the South side of Loch long as far as the end of the road at Bundalloch on the edge of Sheikh Al Makhtoum's Inverinate Estate:
View attachment 465608
I could have just raced back along the A87, which was now quite quiet, but couldn't resist the thought of retracing my steps and re-taking the high road instead - even though that meant doing an even steeper climb.
View attachment 465609
That had to have been one of the very best ten mile rides I've ever done. I even managed to look happy in my selfie, which is a rarity:
View attachment 465610
And just like that, I'm approaching the half-way point in the holiday. This is going far too fast. Oh, well. Back to the Isle of Skye tomorrow for another stonking great ride that I've been wanting to do for years.
Cheers, Donger.

What a lucky @Donger you are. Great place to be riding your bike. Indeed so good I've been around those parts several times :thumbsup:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly

It's at a friend's so hasn't been looked over yet. Will pick it up eventually.:okay:

At least they didn't complain about their out of control dog "being run over".

Good to hear things are improving.

We didn't talk "dog". The owners were very considerate and brought blankets, cushions and coats (very chilly wind). They supplied a first aid kit too. Offered hot drinks as well.

I've since heard that the dog was "bloodied". Possibly cut up by the chainring. NMP tho'.

It's at a friend's so hasn't been looked over yet. Will pick it up eventually.:okay:

We didn't talk "dog". The owners were very considerate and brought blankets, cushions and coats (very chilly wind). They supplied a first aid kit too. Offered hot drinks as well.

I've since heard that the dog was "bloodied". Possibly cut up by the chainring. NMP tho'.
Good to hear that they did the right thing.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Off out on another adventure this morning ... another one that has been on my "to do" list for years, but the opportunity has never presented itself. Mrs D gave me another half day pass today to finally ride the Broadford to Elgol road on the Isle of Skye, so I set off at stupid o'clock to get it done. Top tip: There is a free car park near the beach in Broadford, next door to the Co-Op filling station, where you can park for 24 hours.
Well, on this holiday I'm running out of adjectives and superlatives to describe the cycling and the views. I'll leave the pictures to pretty much say it for themselves this time. It was a straight there-and-back ride from Broadford to Elgol via Torrin and the shores of Loch Slapin.
(1) Derelict church (and graveyard including Commonwealth war graves):
P1040912.JPG

(2) Marshes:
P1040913.JPG

(3) The Cuillin "Hills" (What would they have to look like to be called mountains ... which they clearly are?):
P1040914.JPG

(4) Thatched cottage (presumably using reeds from the marshes):
P1040916.JPG

(5) Loch Slapin and the Cuillins from Torrin:
P1040918.JPG

(6) Round the end of the loch:
P1040919.JPG

(7) View of the Isle of Rum from Elgol (a hard-earned view .... I'd forgotten what a long climb it is up to Elgol from the lochside):
P1040922.JPG

(8) Me in my much-needed Winter kit (Don't be fooled by the sunshine. There were snow flurries yesterday!):
P1040925.JPG

(9) Back along Loch Slapin on return journey:
P1040927.JPG

In the end, that was 28.5 miles of some of the best cycling I've ever done. Although the road is a little up and down on the way to Torrin, some real climbing is involved later as you rise from sea level up to the top of the village of Elgol. If anyone is tempted to do this ride, don't be put off by the hills. Stick with it, the view is worth it. I'll be having another recovery day tomorrow, before having a last ride around Loch Duich on Friday. Can't believe the week is going so fast, but some terrific rides now done that I've been wanting to do for years. Now feeling seriously chilled out.
Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

pjd57

Veteran
strava2799893912975214504.jpg
Cold and wet in Glasgow this morning but I decided to go on Free Wheel North run from Maryhill. Along the Kelvin then across the Clyde .
Used some of the new cycle routes in southside to visit Bike for Good ?
Polite exchange of words with a van driver who claimed he didn't know the new expensive cycle lane wasn't a parking place.

Another trip into the city centre this evening.
28 miles in total.

Top Bottom