Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I did another six mile utility ride today, same place as Tuesday, but a different route. As you can see from the pics, along a road/cycle path that didn’t exist 2.5 years ago.

64701B31-3048-4324-BB3B-353152237BDD.jpeg

Current Sat Map

4BEFEDBF-6731-4060-A669-070F5C127C22.jpeg

Part of today’s route as logged on Garmin’s out of date sat map.

The_Weekend_Report_Guy

Pablo's Cycling Tours
Today? 80 and 1000 meters of climbing.

Had some customers that were enjoying the ride.

60075865_2134090310019711_1743579962796933120_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.jpg

And there is plenty to look around!

59766398_2134090680019674_7819507490202058752_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.jpg

Another day, another dollar....

For those that want to see what the rides the people that come over look like here is a link to a strava club: https://www.strava.com/clubs/bikekick

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
First little outing since Mrs 26's crash. I rode past the spot. Gates closed and no sign of the dog. I just rode round a standard loop which I call The White Rabbit. Lots of water about after all the rain we've had. Despite the rain today I did manage to avoid any and got back in time to take Mrs 26 to see the GP for a check. She's mending and the sooner the better as I'm nursing an impatient. 35 smiles

Billy Wizz

Über Member
Only 10 miles today, but quality made up for lack of quantity of miles. Had a great day out watching deer on the Applecross Peninsula, then when back at the house, ended up watching a seal ducking and diving in the loch. Before I knew it, it was 6.30pm, and I only had time for a short ride. The main A87 runs straight past the top of the drive, and there is a tiny side road on the opposite side with a signpost for "Carr Brae Viewpoint." I'd ridden that road a few years ago, but couldn't resist doing it again. It is a steep little climb up through the bluebell woods:
View attachment 465598
..... after which the view opens up and you get spectacular views of Loch Duich from two or three hundred feet above the A87.
View attachment 465600
Down below you can see the salmon fisheries:
View attachment 465602
Next comes a great aerial view of Eileann Donan Castle at full tide:
View attachment 465603
After that, I dropped down into Dornie:
View attachment 465605
.... and got another shot of the castle:
View attachment 465607
..... before ambling along the South side of Loch long as far as the end of the road at Bundalloch on the edge of Sheikh Al Makhtoum's Inverinate Estate:
View attachment 465608
I could have just raced back along the A87, which was now quite quiet, but couldn't resist the thought of retracing my steps and re-taking the high road instead - even though that meant doing an even steeper climb.
View attachment 465609
That had to have been one of the very best ten mile rides I've ever done. I even managed to look happy in my selfie, which is a rarity:
View attachment 465610
And just like that, I'm approaching the half-way point in the holiday. This is going far too fast. Oh, well. Back to the Isle of Skye tomorrow for another stonking great ride that I've been wanting to do for years.
Cheers, Donger.

Great pics.

colly

Re member eR
A while since I have posted in here, for various reasons, so a few rides to post:

25th April
View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/34478773

26 miles and 1100ft of up.

As I remember a straight out and back home. Not much to say about it really.

28th April
View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/34478774

29 miles and 1700 ft upwards.

Sunday loop of familiar roads.

2nd May
View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/34478775

22.9 miles and 530ft of up.

A gentle warm up before a forum ride the following day. Unfamiliar roads in Kent. The Isle of Grain to be exact. By 'eck lad it's flat.
At the end of the road lies the village of Grain. A surprisingly busy little place given that it's at the far end of the island and 15 miles from any town of any size.

Looking across the estuary of the Medway to The Isle of Sheppey:

20190502_123722.jpg

The old Grain Sea Fort looking a little care worn.

20190502_123734.jpg

It seems like, if you are brave or foolhardy you can actually get out to it and have a look round.
https://beno.org.uk/forts/grain_sea_fort.html

3rd / 4th May
View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/34478778

About 65 miles and 4000ft of up.

A teriffic forum night ride around the Isle of Wight, organised by @StuAff. A company of 6 caught the 1am ferry from Portsmouth across to Fishbourne.
It was cold, for May it was very cold. After about 5 or 6 miles it began to rain. Not hard rain but steady and it carried on until around 5 or 6 am. A ride report By Stuaff :
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/night-ride-around-the-coast-2019-may-3.244269/page-5

I took a couple of photos in the early hours when we stopped for a bite to eat:
20190504_072910.jpg

20190504_054041.jpg

20190504_072922.jpg

I never actually got a pic of the group.
We crossed country at some stages on old railway lines and the 'Sunshine Trail' I think it's called. We had punctures, quite a few.
As early morning drew on the party broke up bit by bit due to members either getting too cold and deciding to break for the ferry or others drifting off to pre-arranged meetings with family etc. @FLYINGGATER had a desperate rush up ahead for a 'comfort stop' .
In the end on the final stretch it was me and Stuaff who rode onto the return ferry at Ryde. In the lounge we came across Flyinggater again and after a swift crossing we parted company at Portsmouth.
A really good night out and surprisingly I didn't fall asleep while riding. ^_^

If another ride around the IoW is arranged next year it's well worth the effort.

5th May.

Another forum ride. This time in Ashford, Kent, organised by @Charlotte Alice Button.
I know we set off from Ashford and I know we went through some lovely villages and hamlets and I know we got back to Ashford. As to the route? No idea at all.
I didn't take any electrical stuff with me so nothing recorded.
Around 30 miles I think.
The ride though was lovely, good company and great to meet Charlotte and the others.

7th May.
View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/34478777

16.8 miles and 750 ft of up.

A spin out through the lanes of Grain. There's not all that many. No pics and not much to report. Nonetheless it was good to get out in the sunshine.

So a busy weekend.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A utility ride this afternoon to collect the car from the garage.

We've had showers rolling across most of the afternoon but it looked like it was going to clear up so I took the folding bike out for its first trip in more than a year. Unfortunately the weather had been teasing me and the rain started again once I set out and continued all the way into town. I haven't ridden this bike in the rain before so I discover that the short mudguard on the back is fairly useless.

Apart from getting wet, the ride went fairly well. I didn't push on, partly because this bike isn't geared very high but mostly because the small knobbly tyres (no, I don't know why they fitted knobblys either) didn't feel particularly reassuring on the wet roads.

Car collected, the work paid for and the bike slipped neatly into the boot for the crawl through the traffic on the return. I don't use this bike often but when I do I really appreciate having it.

Roughly 4 miles this time. It stopped raining on the way back .:dry:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
A couple of rides from me, for earlier in the week.

The more eagle eyed might have spotted from other threads that we've been away at Beadnell up in Northumbria.
I took the bike on the off chance of squeezing in a ride or two while we were away

First one, Bank Holiday Monday. After an initial shower it started to brighten up and looked like being a nice day, but by 'eck it were windy which made for very slow going in places.
Still, out on the bike and up through the village and a left to head inland as far as the crossroads at Swinhoe, where it was right and onto the quite country lanes that are also NCN R1. These are lovely almost deserted lanes, which possibly explains why the local council don't appear to be spending any money on them. Goodness me the surface was rough in places :hyper:, but that was offset by the scenery and the solitude.
NCN 1 eventually brought me to North Sunderland, where confusingly the NCN signs offer a choice of three directions - back the way you've just arrived from, on to Seahouses or left towards Shoreston.
Technically the NCN route is left, with the short diversion to Seahouses just being a spur presumably in case you need some shops or the public toilets?
Anyway. left for me and then shortly afterwards left again, sticking to the NCN route and back out into the countryside, before taking a right onto Ingram Lane that would eventually take me to Bamburgh, although I stopped on the way for a couple of pics looking over the fields to the sea with the Farne Islands beyond.
Once in Bamburgh I carried on to St Aidan's Church to get a pic for the YBIFOA Memorial thread (the Grace Darling memorial), before saddling back up and heading back to Seahouses along the "main" coast road now with the full benefit of a tailwind.
I turned off just before the town through Shoreston and North Sunderland for another photo op before heading on due south again to Beadnell, along Harbour Road and up to the cottage

14.61 miles (23.51km) in 1h 14m at an average of just 11.8 mph with 459ft of climbing
20190506_152017-COLLAGE.jpg

06052019.JPG

Ride two was the following day, Tuesday. Fortunately the wind had dropped considerably, but I was up against the clock with just an hour or so.
Initially the same route as the day before, but at Swinhoe I carried on inland, finally turning right for West Fleetham and then looping back onto NCN 1 and following it into North Sunderland, where I stopped on the edge of the village to replicate a photo from a couple of years ago:
IMG_20190507_093647615_BURST000_COVER.jpg

IMG_20190507_093730262_BURST000_COVER.jpg

On into the village and then onto the coast road back south into Beadnell, with a final pause on Harbour Road for a couple more pics:
IMG_20190507_095510268_BURST000_COVER.jpg
IMG_20190507_095539822_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Then back on the bike and up to where we were staying

9.97 miles (yes, I know - I should have ridden the bike up the drive!) 16.04km in 47m at an average of 12.5 mph with just 318 ft of climbing

07052019.JPG

All good stuff and good to squeeze in a couple of rides around everything else. It would have been nice to get a longer ride or two in, but the time just wasn't there and if I'm being honest neither is my fitness.
Oddly on both days the Garmin claimed I'd been at an altitude below sea level, although not once did my feet get wet...

A final word for the fine weather forecasters of this far land, who managed to get the forecast spectacularly wrong on 6 of the 7 days we were up there, and on the one day they did get near right they over-egged the weather considerably. I might post more about that elsewhere...

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Another standard loop today as time is short with nursing duties required. My head was elsewhere really so a standard loop would work easily enough. I took to the Castlemorton lanes and on down to Redmarley. Then the ups and down to Highleadon. I took the Murrell's End loop to climb Woolridge but forgot to take in the view. Along the Hams I began to struggle. Cold NW wind didn't help. I just plugged on as best as I could. More struggle in the open up to Tunnel Hill left me the jink by Clive's Farm for the bottom lane and on to Guarlford. I'd had enough when I got in. My patient was chatting with daughter #1 so all good. 47 smiles

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A short 'POETS' day ride here in the flatlands.

IMG_3635.JPG

Big sky country. This is Tubney Fen near Reach, Cambs.

IMG_3636.JPG

After a brief shower, the sun returned as I headed along this drove. On the horizon, in the tree on the right a male cuckoo was belting his song out as I passed underneath. The fields look bleak, but I've seen wheatear and the odd yellow wagtail there in the past. And always lapwing.

IMG_3637.JPG

A view from the bridge. The ash trees behind the cottage above remain deeply sceptical that it may just be spring. I looked closely at one, and the black buds are still as closed as if it were December.

A very pleasant 10 miles over probably about 2 and a half hours or so. I won't be troubling the good folks at
Strava any time soon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom