Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Car nearly packed and winding down at the end of our last day in Inverinate, I nipped out along the A87 for one last little ride. A friend had tipped me off about a good place for deer spotting, so I turned off after a couple of miles and headed along a little back road near the end of Loch Duich.
P1040932.JPG

Straight away I spotted my first herd of red deer on the mountain side to my left.
P1040933.JPG

Carried on a little further and crossed a small river ....
P1040939.JPG

.... before carrying on past a camp site and the Kintail Mountain Rescue base. A little road then runs along the side of the river, where I caught sight of this lot:
P1040940.JPG

P1040941.JPG

P1040943.JPG

I carried on a little while around the end of Loch Duich through Morvich and Shiel Bridge before turning around.
P1040944.JPG

Finally got the missus to pick up her phone and told her to get ready for a trip out in the car. Sprinted back to Inverinate to pick her up and share the amazing deer spotting with her. I did slam the brakes on for one last photo from the causeway when I spotted the light conditions over Loch Duich:
P1040945.JPG

What a fantastic end to the week in Skye and Lochalsh. By my reckoning that's 33 deer spotted this evening. Add to that a bit of seal and dolphin spotting right outside the house, and a close encounter with a golden eagle the other evening and it has been a superb week for spotting wildlife .... all set to a soundtrack of cuckoos and greylag geese. I love this place.
Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:
Oh man...

That last photo is just superb @Donger :wub:

Mr Celine

Discordian
Friday's ride: not quite as cold as last weekend and at least the sun was out.
First stop at the top of Bluecairn. View is looking south with Eildon Mid Hill on the horizon. According to one school of thought the track heading towards it is the line of Dere Street, the roman road from Corbridge to Edinburgh.

IMG_20190510_172636[1].jpg

Next stop was at the windfarm before the infamous Stow hill, which fortunately I was going down.

IMG_20190510_174836[1].jpg

One more stop, but no photos. After bombing down Windydoors Hill there is a short sharp climb past Laidlawstiel before another very steep descent. First puncture this year happened, fortunately on the uphill bit. I couldn't find what had caused it so started the descent slowly just in case. But it's too much fun zooming down hills, though a bit more care would have been sensible, especially as I'd forgotten to close the caliper after putting the wheel back in. Just as well it was the rear.

The map

upload_2019-5-11_9-58-20.png

33.8 miles @ 13.8 mph, 896m ascent.

Edit: puncture turned out to be a perfect snake bite. Experiment of running with tyres at 60 and 75 psi has now ended, back to 75 / 90.

Last edited:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Yesterday's ride with Mat, @steven1988 and Andrew was mostly on the Trans Pennine Trail. It was the first time Andrew had joined us and he said he had a great time. It was a fantastic ride.

In terms of distance, I rode a little further than the others as I had to get to the meeting point. Raining when I set off, it was clear skies when I arrived at the country park 45 minutes later. Andrew was there first, myself second and Steven and Mat turned up 2 minutes later. Good timing.

We headed out to Chesterfield down the TPT and Cuckoo Way along the canal towpath. On reaching Chesterfield, Andrew took us on a road route the rest of us hadn't done before to meet up with a different section of the TPT. Along the way a (approximately) 20-year-old in a BMW gave us a close-ish pass but going far too fast on the country road. Arms were stuck out asking him to slow down. He sped up. Karma struck when his nearside wheels slipped off the road surface and he scraped the underside of his car probably damaging the under tray.

We continued back to the TPT and Poolsbrook, Steve and Andrew leading, Mat and I following. Andrew left us at Poolsbrook and Steve, Mat and I headed off for the nearly completed new bridleway that is the former Clowne Branch Line. It's about 7 miles in length with a gentle gradient which peaks in the middle of the total distance. It will be great when it's finished. Where finished, the path is wide and well surfaced. At the Clowne end of the bridleway, Steve and Mat headed off and I did an about-face and returned to Poolsbrook (for the third time in one ride!) then off north and home.

I'm not sure of Andrew's total mileage but Steve and Mat did 36.75 miles and I did 52.6 miles.

A great ride in great company. ^_^^_^^_^

Last edited:

TigerT

Veteran
Survived my first week of commuting and quite enjoyed it despite some horrible weather. Took the bike 4 days out of 5 as I didn’t fancy riding it back up the hill after training on Wednesday!

Today after riding my old Roubaix all week, I was desperate to have a fun ride on my new Madone.

I left in sunshine just as a Thunderstorm blew in with some very impressive forks of lightning. After riding through that, the rain turned to a hailstorm (great!). Now I was soaked and couldn’t get any wetter so carried on. Headed into Zürich city for a bit of exploring of potential new commuting routes and then back up the hill and home, by which time I’d pretty much dried out.

Only taking the new bike out when it’s dry lasted for three rides, it was very wet out there today.

Relaxing with a coffee and a slice of carrot cake before the cleaning the bike.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Back home from our Northumbian break and time to get the Half Century Challenge ride done. I'd hoped that I might get this done while we were away, but it just didn't happen.

But before the serious business, some fooling about - the new Manston Lane Link Road opened at 5pm last night, the first section of the new East Leeds Orbital Route, linking Thorpe Park at Jct 46 of the M1 with Manston Lane. Massively delayed, it should have opened last October but it would have been rude not to be amongst the first to ride some pristine tarmac, wouldn't it?

So, out through Manston and Barnbow, and up the deceptively steep ramp to the new dual carriageway. Up the hill and delighted to discover a pelican crossing at red despite there being no-one about - seemingly one of those that detects you as you approach and changes to green at the last possible second just as you're almost stopped...
Under the bridge, round the first roundabout and then drop down to the second roundabout. Round that and back up past The Springs retail and leisure park, over the rounabout, under the bridge, same issues with the pelican crossing on this side of the dual carriageway and down to the end.
11052019MLLR.JPG

I've set segments up on MMR and Garmin :laugh: (I'm not on Strava), and I seem to be the fastest person in the world, so far...:whistle:
It won't last, I don't doubt that one of the local clubs will have a ride up there very soon and my time will be a record no more. :tongue:
For what it's worth, cycling provision on the link road seems to be non-existent which seems odd for a brand new road.

Anyhow, messing about done, I cut back through Pendas Fields and onto Barwick Road for a variation on a route I've done many times before.
The slog up the hill wasn't made any easier by the lack of the usual run up, but the top was reached anyway, then up again from the Coronation Tree before the long steady drop through Barwick and out to the bridge over Cock Beck.
Cattle Lane then beckoned, with it's usual ups and downs taking me to Aberford.
A scoot along Main Street then left, under the A1(M) bridge and the climb to Lotherton Gates, where another left saw me cross the county line into North Yorkshire and start the long descent to the Crooked Billet Pub.
Along the valley floor for a bit and then the sharp climb to the the right into Saxton, through the village and out to the A162 London Road, which has recently been "surfaced dressed" :dry:
Fortunately I was only on there for 50 yards or so before turning off to Barkston Ash.
Through the village and onto Common Lane for the long straight run to Church Fenton.
There was only meant to be a light breeze this morning, but I was definitely feeling it in my face.
Over the railway bridge and through the village before the long loop around the airfield via Ryther and Ozendyke, before a brief pause at Ulleskelf for a couple of pics:
IMG_20190511_100919959_BURST000_COVER.jpg
IMG_20190511_101000090_BURST000_COVER.jpg
IMG_20190511_101032311_HDR.jpg

The sun was burning through now, and the bright light made the pics a bit tricky - I could either capture the day-glo yellow of the oil seed rape, or the blue of the sky, but not both in the same pic.

Back on the bike and the loop to Church Fenton completed, then I reversed my earlier route to Barkston Ash, getting a slight but noticeable bit of assistance from the breeze. At London Road I'd normally take the long way round to Saxton for a bit of variety, but given the loose chippings everywhere, I took the first and nearest turning off the main road onto Headwell Lane.
Onto Coldhill Lane in the village and the steady climb up to Lindas Bench for a couple more pics which came out much better than my earlier efforts:
IMG_20190511_104258042_BURST000_COVER.jpg
IMG_20190511_104338303_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Onward to Copley Lane for the run up to Lotherton Gates, then a straightforward reverse of my outbound route back through Aberford, Barwick and Scholes, before dropping down Leeds Road and then local roads up to home.

35.25 miles (56.72 km) in 2h 55m at an average of 12.0 mph with 1,519 ft climbed and an average temperature of 13.0°C

Glad to get my may ride in for the Half Century Challenge, even if it did feel like hard work at times as it took me an age to get into a rhythm today.
The largely pointless messing about on the new road probably didn't help, but I've ridden it now although I'm unlikely to want to repeat the experience ^_^
Great weather again, especially in the second half of the ride, which meant that i was slightly overdressed in bib tights, long sleeved layers and full fingered gloves, but I certainly needed them when i set off. :cold:
Lots of cyclists out and about, unfortunately a few half wit drivers too but you can't let them spoil your day can you?

And to end, the map:
11052019.JPG

Last edited:
2019_05_11_Eselsburg_02.JPG

Yesterday was interview day: train to the nearest railway station and then bike from there to the village where the interview would take place. This is the station. Imposing but a bit tatty.

That ground floor would make an awesome bike cafe.

Xtracycle already looking a mess after a mere two hours travelling.

2019_05_11_Eselsburg_05.JPG

Out of the town and on towards the next village. The area in a range of limestone hills so it was like suddenly landing in the Pennines.

2019_05_11_Eselsburg_06.JPG

Arriving in the village. The organisation I was visiting is also responsible for the circus tent.

2019_05_11_Eselsburg_08.JPG

The old mill where I was interviewed. I think I could handle working here.

2019_05_12_Eselsburg_09.JPG

I was met by someone as I took this picture and the rest of the afternoon and evening were a bit busy.

Next morning, hanging out with another staff member over Breakfast, realised my train was due ion 12 minutes.

Some serious riding later* and I -just- caught the train.

2019_05_12_Eselsburg_10.JPG

Apparently German railways have been told off for providing ancient and knackered trains on this service and have had to promise to do better soon. Personally I appreciated having a bike space long enough for the Xtracycle.

Changed train for Stuttgart. Xtracycle looks lonely.

2019_05_12_Eselsburg_11.JPG

I decided not to go into Stuttgart but ride the last bit to our town/village.

Exited the train on Plochingen. "My bike in front of a station" picture.

2019_05_12_Eselsburg_15a.JPG

Leaving Plochingen on the bridge over the railway and river. Notice pretty good cycleway. Perhaps I should send a copy to my local council because I'm sure they would be open to doing the same, after all they're committed to making cycling more popular and... no it's no good I can't say that and keep a straight face.

2019_05_12_Eselsburg_16.JPG

I thought it would rain any moment so I just kept riding back up the valley and onto the hill. Brief stop for the view a couple of K's from our apartment...

DSC_8880.JPG

I should have known better: the use of a camera caused the rain to start again. I just managed to get back before it really pished it down...

*fast for a confirmed trundler like me at any rate...

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Out around the old Bredon Hill loop. Some changes to usual as Show traffic around the Three Counties Showground would be dense. It certainly was at Upton where the queues were several miles long. Missed a shower at Pershore but it was never warm with that north wind. Nice brisk one today. 57 smiles

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Decided to break our journey back home this year instead of taking all day to get from Inverinate to Gloucester, so we stopped off at Moffat in Dumfries & Galloway - a part of the world that I'm not too familiar with. We arrived mid afternoon in glorious sunshine, with people out and about in shorts and enjoying a sunny beer garden at the hotel. Couldn't miss the chance for one last bike ride before dinner. Started by heading off down the Selkirk road for six miles or so. Hilly but beautiful. Reminded me of the Yorkshire Dales, but there was so little traffic that I could have laid down in the road for five minutes here quite safely:
P1040948.JPG

P1040949.JPG

P1040950.JPG

After I got a feel for what there was in that direction, I turned around and returned towards Moffat and then headed off southwards down the Old Carlisle Road. Not knowing my way around here, I didn't risk trying a loop, so when I'd crossed the river near Newton Wamphray I did another about turn. The bridge had a ridged metal road surface that made a very satisfying noise when riding over it.
P1040952.JPG

With one eye on the clock (dinner at 7.00), I found time for a close pass of the hotel in Moffatt. (Photo taken by Mrs Donger from our hotel bedroom window without my knowledge):
RSCN2193.JPG

and rode through the town to satisfy my curiosity. Liked the statue of a ram in the town centre:
P1040954.JPG

Moffat and the area left a very favourable impression on me. May well be back some time. (The IPA from a local Lockerbie brewery wasn't too bad either).
I would say "back to the grind" now .... if I hadn't recently walked out of my job after 36 years. It was a slow burner of an idea, but I came to realise I wasn't cut out for a career in land registration. Great to be coming back from a holiday and not going back to work.
Cheers guys. That's all from Scotland from me.
Donger.

Attachments

• RSCN2193.JPG
    RSCN2193.JPG
    192.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
Decided to break our journey back home this year instead of taking all day to get from Inverinate to Gloucester, so we stopped off at Moffat in Dumfries & Galloway - a part of the world that I'm not too familiar with. We arrived mid afternoon in glorious sunshine, with people out and about in shorts and enjoying a sunny beer garden at the hotel. Couldn't miss the chance for one last bike ride before dinner. Started by heading off down the Selkirk road for six miles or so. Hilly but beautiful. Reminded me of the Yorkshire Dales, but there was so little traffic that I could have laid down in the road for five minutes here quite safely:
View attachment 466095
View attachment 466096
View attachment 466097
After I got a feel for what there was in that direction, I turned around and returned towards Moffat and then headed off southwards down the Old Carlisle Road. Not knowing my way around here, I didn't risk trying a loop, so when I'd crossed the river near Newton Wamphray I did another about turn. The bridge had a ridged metal road surface that made a very satisfying noise when riding over it.
View attachment 466098
With one eye on the clock (dinner at 7.00), I found time for a close pass of the hotel in Moffatt. (Photo taken by Mrs Donger from our hotel bedroom window without my knowledge):
View attachment 466103
and rode through the town to satisfy my curiosity. Liked the statue of a ram in the town centre:
View attachment 466099
Moffat and the area left a very favourable impression on me. May well be back some time. (The IPA from a local Lockerbie brewery wasn't too bad either).
I would say "back to the grind" now .... if I hadn't recently walked out of my job after 36 years. It was a slow burner of an idea, but I came to realise I wasn't cut out for a career in land registration. Great to be coming back from a holiday and not going back to work.
Cheers guys. That's all from Scotland from me.
Donger.
Looks like a great cycling week

Mr Celine

Discordian
Car nearly packed and winding down at the end of our last day in Inverinate,

Nice pics of deer, but are there still kangaroos at Inverinate?

OK, I'll post again with a photo which was definitely taken in the UK.

View attachment 462755

Edit. I'll post a picture of the view in the other direction tomorrow.

View attachment 466097

If you'd carried on another mile you could have added wild goats to your list of wildlife. There is a herd of them around Carrifran that can often be seen from the A708.

Top Bottom