Street Art

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I like the abstract city-scape above this tag in Stockwell.
nQ4J2Gq.jpg

Also in Stockwell is this crumbling suit of armour.
njwNGrN.jpg

A new Airborne Mark in Penge.
MA4lZZU.jpg

And to finish a couple from old favourite Dan Kitchener, with works in Brick Lane and Clerkenwell respectively.
PzVESj7.jpg

D20S5xz.jpg

*zoom*
H0KiFMd.jpg

Not so much street art, as it's been there quite a while, but there's this

Monday 16th

It's on the 'triangle' formed by New Market Street (to the left, behind the trees), Call Lane (where bus is) & KirkGate (where the bus is heading)
DSCF0278.JPG

The Corn Exchange is a couple of dozen yards to my left

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
And bonus points for finding a cycling one too, thanks @Katherine ^_^.

Some history now from Walthamstow, its E17 postcode stolen and made famous by the godawful 80's boy band. I came across this character who I initially thought was some kind of Al Capone gangster. It turns out its film director and producer Walter West. West was involved in movies from the days of silent films, and owned local film Studio, Walthamstow Studios.
mtIDYD9.jpg

During the second World War, West was commissioned by the Government to make propaganda films for the war effort.

Nearby at 18 Grosvenor Park Road is a blue plaque commemorating another local resident.
qXXwCom.jpg

*zoom*
1APNQ36.jpg

Beryl was a trailblazer, but as can be seen in this old Pathe News report, faced a real struggle against the attitudes of the time. The last sentence of this clip shows what she was up against. ""slowly but surely women, the weaker sex, are muscling in on mans domain, practically no sport is sacred, thank goodness for dear old rugby league".

Beryl had mechanical problems during the 1962 race in the 50cc class she was racing in, but still managed to get the bike round what is still regarded as the worlds hardest motor cycle race, finishing 22nd out 25 riders. She vowed to come back next year and improve her time.

However Beryl's entry into the TT appears to have ruffled a few feathers and dented some fragile male egos, and the governing body changed the rules. Throughout the history of the TT races there have been injuries and fatalities, but while the death of male racers was one thing, the fear was too great that if women participating in road races were involved in a fatal accident, it would generate too much bad publicity for the sport. And so Beryl's race licence was not renewed by the governing body. Despite appealing and trying to get support to reinstate her licence and let her continue with the sport she loved, sadly Beryl was not permitted to race at the Isle of Man TT again, and was forced to retire from motorcycle racing. Beryl did go onto become a successful store manager at Sainsbury's and passed away in 2007 aged 71, but its sad to see such a clear case of sex discrimination crushing someones dreams. It was not until 1978 that another woman was permitted to race at the Isle of Man TT.

The people of Walthamstow have not forgotten Beryl or her trailblazing spirit, and earlier this year along with the unveiling of the plaque above, where Beryl lived during her TT race in 1962, artist Helen Bur did this excellent mural on nearby Wood St of Beryl racing.
5XUCOZ5.jpg

aJYcR39.jpg

Today in 2019, shockingly, there are still parts of the world where women are not allowed to drive. But while there is a still a long way to go for equality, I'm delighted to report to that Pathe News reporter above, who will be spinning at 9000rpm in his grave somewhere, the last bastion has fallen, women's rugby league is a thing now^_^.

And bonus points for finding a cycling one too, thanks @Katherine ^_^.

Some history now from Walthamstow, its E17 postcode stolen and made famous by the godawful 80's boy band. I came across this character who I initially thought was some kind of Al Capone gangster. It turns out its film director and producer Walter West. West was involved in movies from the days of silent films, and owned local film Studio, Walthamstow Studios.
View attachment 486254
During the second World War, West was commissioned by the Government to make propaganda films for the war effort.

Nearby at 18 Grosvenor Park Road is a blue plaque commemorating another local resident.
View attachment 486255
*zoom*
View attachment 486256
Beryl was a trailblazer, but as can be seen in this old Pathe News report, faced a real struggle against the attitudes of the time. The last sentence of this clip shows what she was up against. ""slowly but surely women, the weaker sex, are muscling in on mans domain, practically no sport is sacred, thank goodness for dear old rugby league".

Beryl had mechanical problems during the 1962 race in the 50cc class she was racing in, but still managed to get the bike round what is still regarded as the worlds hardest motor cycle race, finishing 22nd out 25 riders. She vowed to come back next year and improve her time.

However Beryl's entry into the TT appears to have ruffled a few feathers and dented some fragile male egos, and the governing body changed the rules. Throughout the history of the TT races there have been injuries and fatalities, but while the death of male racers was one thing, the fear was too great that if women participating in road races were involved in a fatal accident, it would generate too much bad publicity for the sport. And so Beryl's race licence was not renewed by the governing body. Despite appealing and trying to get support to reinstate her licence and let her continue with the sport she loved, sadly Beryl was not permitted to race at the Isle of Man TT again, and was forced to retire from motorcycle racing. Beryl did go onto become a successful store manager at Sainsbury's and passed away in 2007 aged 71, but its sad to see such a clear case of sex discrimination crushing someones dreams. It was not until 1978 that another woman was permitted to race at the Isle of Man TT.

The people of Walthamstow have not forgotten Beryl or her trailblazing spirit, and earlier this year along with the unveiling of the plaque above, where Beryl lived during her TT race in 1962, artist Helen Bur did this excellent mural on nearby Wood St of Beryl racing.
View attachment 486257
View attachment 486258
Today in 2019, shockingly, there are still parts of the world where women are not allowed to drive. But while there is a still a long way to go for equality, I'm delighted to report to that Pathe News reporter above, who will be spinning at 9000rpm in his grave somewhere, the last bastion has fallen, women's rugby league is a thing now^_^.

Absolutely brilliant!!!

Was in Birmingham again this weekend

Hadn't noticed this one before

House side (adjacent to the 'Camp Inn')
Camp Road (at junction with Station Road)
Kings Norton

DSCF0378.JPG

DSCF0379.JPG

Yeah, amazeballs @booze and cake - I'll have to check that out the next time I'm in the area. :okay:

It's the story of motorsports in general, not just bike racing.

There are quite a few lady marshals, but not so much on the tech and media side of things. There were race meetings back in the day where I was the only female photographer. I did get some funny looks, but then I often got the shots the blokes didn't. :laugh:

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Thanks @Richard A Thackeray and @Reynard, I've learnt almost as much history from this thread as I did in school^_^.

I saw another yarn bombing effort today, its almost like the wool is projecting the 'keto' onto the fence like the Batman Bat-signal^_^.
QHXhYoy.jpg

And this next one has evolved over recent weeks. The background pattern you may recognise as by Autone and Neist, who did a section of wall on the excellent Connectivity Matters building in Shoreditch from page 82, link here: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/street-art.221565/post-5672614
This week there has been an addition by 'butterflyman752' who has drawn the face on shortly after, and added the cut out paper butterflies to the wall. It doesn't look very weather proof so will likely be as transient as a butterfly, so extra credit for taking the time on something that is going to be so short lived.
lYGzzTR.jpg

DLHgeDc.jpg

And I came across another one by the same person, again with cutout paper butterflies, this time around what looks like a paper mache skeleton attached to a lamp post. Definitely a bit different.
ZzH4tAJ.jpg

And finally a Rowan Atkinson/Mr Bean by Woskerski.
ohclC90.jpg

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I've not seen a new Hunto for a while, but saw one today in his distinctive style, that look like Picasso in techi-colour.
XmuNsPN.jpg

Here's Johnny Depp as Hunter S Thompson from the film Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
hFQYDjq.jpg

'Make it' by Peter Judson on Hanbury St.
o4ZTqum.jpg

And a new one by Jim Vision tucked away just off Brick Lane.
nXaA5SS.jpg

Top Bottom