Street Art

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Katherine

Guru
PSX_20190807_211913.jpg
PSX_20190807_212041.jpg

Seen today from the top of an open-top bus, coming up the hill out of St. Ives.

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
D7hsNRU.jpg

Y3uac5w.jpg

And now for something a bit different. Today I saw an icon that's worthy of inclusion here. Today was the 50th anniversary of a photo taken that's famous around the world.
VYOkH7K.jpg

I go past this zebra crossing twice a week, and have done for about a year and half. In that time I have NEVER been past this crossing when there hasn't been loads of people recreating that photo, I literally stuns me every week how popular it still is, 50 years on. There were more people than normal there today.
BYk9TQi.jpg

The famous Abbey Rd studio is just out of shot on the left. And there was another visitor today turning up for the anniversary. A museum piece and arguably one of the most famous and recognisable cars in the world, its John Lennon's Rolls Royce. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...tory-of-the-psychedelic-beatle-mobile-253088/
R6sULQY.jpg

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
@Reynard yes I never normally use my camera phone, and it shows:blush:, but didn't have my regular camera with me at the time. I even went back later with my camera to see if I could get some better pictures, but the car had gone by the time I got there, bah!.

Here's a new artwork in Leake St tunnel, with my friend's little boy, Gene, who was visiting London for the first time. I think he enjoyed himself^_^
m4JfkFX.jpg

And my sister sent me this which made me laugh.
xCPqGSD.jpg

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
A flurry of new works have gone up in Stockwell Lane/Love Lane.

This is by Tom Blackford
XzQV5BW.jpg

I don't know who did this, but it has a central/south American Day of the Dead look to it.
4B06znU.jpg

This is by Ayam Tulum, I like the protrusion of weeds that look like they've shot up after benefiting from any leftover water from the characters watering can.
eiN7V1U.jpg

Liking the bold colours on this by Skyhigh
vNMzBpe.jpg

But my favourite piece was by JXC, who I met as he was finishing this next piece. He's one of my favourite artists, and he was impressed that I recalled and had photographed his ant in Croydon, the Leopard in Penge from page 31 that took me 7 visits to successfully photograph, the 'truffle shuffle' from the film the Goonies in Camden, his Indiana Jones in Penge, his excellent Judge Dredd slaying Mickey Mouse in Shoreditch and his recent Incredible Hulk in Leake St, all of which are contained in this thread. I asked if he'd done any others in London I'd missed, and he mentioned one in Dagenham that he was proud of, but that it was rarely seen as it was only accessible for a limited time 1 day a week, and on that day was pretty much instantly covered by market stalls, so it was really hard to get a good picture of it. Hmmmm I like a challenge so that has been filed in the 'to do' list, watch this space^_^. But for now marvel at his current work, amazing stuff.:notworthy:
a2hxFxn.jpg

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
These next two are in the Stockwell Hall of Fame.
UCky56o.jpg

An Osprey, this time by Aspire.
YBeslfU.jpg

And 9 miles across London on New Plaistow Rd, is a new one of Queen front man Freddie Mercury, by Argentinian 'Cobre Art'.
9sAL3jq.jpg

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
@Proto it is new to Bristol, @Spartak posted it here recently, but it is excellent so its worth seeing again, thanks. And it leads nicely onto this next one. Back on page 78 I posted the following picture of David Attenborough in Bethnal Green.
gR1KGph.jpg

I went past again recently and noticed its been modified, I assume by the original artist, Jerome Davenport.
YltsgU2.jpg

And in addition to the usual pigeons and crows, I've seen a few other wildlife spots around London in the last few days. An origami blue whale in Selhurst by Airborne Mark
qgPnA4w.jpg

This by Jane Mutiny is also in Selhurst. Notice the Extinction Rebellion symbol in the cats fur.
moV9qin.jpg

Another yellow sticker for @Reynard by Aspire ^_^. Sadly this one relates the levels of deforestation in Borneo, and shows two natives suffering as a result, the Orangutan and the Green Magpie.
myHYAKb.jpg

A daft hound in Waterloo
YdSd5Gu.jpg

And out of the blue, a tropical frog in Hackney.
QrGaQVX.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I saw this in Holloway Rd by Stewy.
m7JrDzT.jpg

I had no idea who it was, and wouldn't have guessed as I've never heard of him. Anyone recognise him?.......Well congratulations if you got it, its Joe Meek. From Wiki Meek was a "English record producer, sound engineer and songwriter who pioneered space age and experimental pop music in the 60's. He also assisted the development of recording practices like overdubbing, sampling and reverb. Meek is considered one of the most influential sound engineers of all time.

He set up a production company in Holloway Rd which explains the artworks location, and apparently whenever outside the studio he always wore sunglasses. Sadly he struggled with drugs and his mental health, and ended up shooting his landlady before turning the gun on himself in 1967. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Meek#Personal_life

Well that was an unexpected street art based history lesson, illuminating....
XjhiV7c.jpg

iXncXk2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
N4pAfYr.jpg

I'm back in town^_^
06wX6ZZ.jpg

After the recent reports of the Amazon burning, this turned up in Stockwell this week.
333ycnG.jpg

A new John Hurt at the entrance to Leake St tunnel
MeuRK8t.jpg

NtwXRMb.jpg

And to finish is the largest piece I've seen so far by the excellent Pad303. Naive is an anagram of the water company Evian, so not sure if this is a comment on bottled water, recycling or both, or neither, but I like it anyway. Those that grew up watching Sesame Street will remember this one, its Oscar the Grouch.
Jzvs5mN.jpg

Top Bottom