Street Art

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Handlebar Moustache

full?lightbox=1&last_edit_date=1567098101.jpg

This is Serge Gainsbourg’s house in Paris. It’s got a tiny bit of street art on it (with the blessing of Serge’s daughter - the homeowner - apparently). It’s basically become a bit of a shrine to the man and his music and no matter your feelings on him (and some really detest his behaviour) I for one loved his wordplay and was fascinated by these bits of art. I took lots more pics of the different bits of art and you can see them here > https://www.cyclechat.net/media/albums/serge-gainsbourg’s-house-in-pdis.1352/

Last edited:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
View attachment 482464
I'm back in town^_^
View attachment 482465
After the recent reports of the Amazon burning, this turned up in Stockwell this week.
View attachment 482466
A new John Hurt at the entrance to Leake St tunnel
View attachment 482467
View attachment 482468
And to finish is the largest piece I've seen so far by the excellent Pad303. Naive is an anagram of the water company Evian, so not sure if this is a comment on bottled water, recycling or both, or neither, but I like it anyway. Those that grew up watching Sesame Street will remember this one, its Oscar the Grouch.
View attachment 482469
It never occurred to me that naive was just backwards spring water.

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Bird spotting today. A Carnaby's Black Cockatoo by Jane Mutiny in Penge.
PbE2cYK.jpg

Puffing up the mountain in Anerley towards the summit at Crystal Palace, I spot some puffins by Aspire.
euqWq6i.jpg

Some doves by Jimmy C.
iRvYnSn.jpg

This bird brained Donald has fake plumage stolen from the arse of a troop of baboons.....
uyBlGlz.jpg

....the baboons are not pleased with this arrangement but still find time to mock^_^.
WyT469I.jpg

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Some recent artworks in Beeston gave me the excuse for a short bimble on my Sid Standard (remiss of me not to include it in any pics**)
First up, a very wide mural by Mural Life aka Qubek. This is just along from the Zabou portraits of Paul Smith, Richard Beckinsale and Edwin Starr.
P1000175.JPG

P1000176.JPG

P1000178.JPG

There's even a bit more round the corner!
P1000179.JPG

Just to the west of the town centre is this, inspired by the invasion of Painted Lady butterflies. Painted by Jim Vision.
P1000180.JPG

To finish, this is a tribute to 12 years old Owen Jenkins, who died in the process of rescuing two girls from the Trent at Beeston Weir two years ago.
Painted by Peter Barber.
P1000181.JPG

**There's a rumour that Sid Standard's daughter and son are negotiating with Zabou to produce a memorial portrait of this local cycling legend in Beeston.

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
A great new discovery today hiding in plain sight. You may recall back on page 69 I mentioned an article about Jim Bachor who turned potholes in the street into works of art. Link here:https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/street-art.221565/post-5497717

I've just discovered here in London we have a similar public servant who has been doing similar things for years. Ben Wilson has become well known for painting on discarded chewing gum in the street. Interestingly he won a court case after being arrested in 2005 and 2009 and charged with criminal damage, which is what most graffiti and street art is viewed as. After the police received letters of complaint following his arrest, charges were eventually dropped as technically he was not painting the pavement itself, but the gum, which is litter, and painting litter to make it aesthetically pleasing is not a crime, for now at least. Legend, love it^_^.

I'm surprised I've not heard of him before, but he came to pubic's attention following an article in the New York Times in 2011.
https://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/14/world/europe/14muswell.html
I love the last couple of paragraphs of that, hows that for job satisfaction^_^.

It seems he has works all over, and many in his native north London, especially around Muswell Hill. More centrally, straddling the Thames between St Paul's Cathedral on the north side of the river, and Tate Modern on the south side, is the Millenium, or as I still prefer to call it, the wobbly bridge. Back in 2014 Ben painted over 400 mini art works on the bridge. With the volume of tourist traffic that bridge has I'm amazed any remain, and some on the main bridge itself are well worn now, despite being painted in acrylic and lacquered. Some can be seen here:
https://inspiringcity.com/2014/04/1...of-400-mini-artworks-on-the-millenium-bridge/
But my favourites, and the ones in the best condition as these seem to be additions from this year, were on the side ramp leading up to the main bridge on the Tate Modern side. Look on the right hand side by the shadow of the rail on this:
hhxLg61.jpg

*zoom*
First off we have the two landmarks at either end of the bridge, Tate Modern and St Paul's Cathedral.
xK873mD.jpg

P23jtta.jpg

Another local landmark is the new building at One Blackfriars, known as The Vase, seen here with pedestrians walking along the South Bank.
HBIkPni.jpg

And here's one from further afield, Notre Dame. This one is dated April 2019 which is when the famous old building burned down, seen here before the flames arrived.
LCJMPlc.jpg

Excellent, I love those. Another reason to keep the eyes peeled as you never know what you may find.:okay:

And I came across an article about another recent project Ben has been doing. He's also been installing random painted tiles at various Underground stations. As a cyclist I never use the tube so am not likely to see any of these any time soon, but if anyone does see any please post them, as these are good too. Scroll down to see more in this link: https://www.citymetric.com/horizons...-slips-through-cracks-london-underground-4106

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
One for Peaky Blinders fans
gcxZKI5.jpg

41AYNc6.jpg

YbuRcIL.jpg

DU705QY.jpg

DQgGMtI.jpg

LCSlGZv.jpg

Took daughter into Leeds this morning, parked on the old Tetleys site & walked up
After visiting the Apple Store, & before her friend met her, & I left them to their own devices, & had a walk round, till the car-park ticket expired

KirkGate
Leeds
Where the First Cloth Hall is being restored (more of it seems to have disappeared since I was last there)

DSCF0279.JPG

DSCF0280.JPG

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
This is new in Star Yard
cG3PBJ8.jpg

This is also in Star Yard, and this man definitely needs commemorating here.
kuE06Mc.jpg

Basil Brush clearly approves.
CjtsrLB.jpg

And this is new by Otto Schade and is on the seedy looking bar/strip joint in Hoxton, which also has some Otto works I photographed back on pages 76.77 and 79. I really like the reflected city skyline on the eyeball.
FwrbVD6.jpg

Top Bottom