Street Art

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Excellent work folks, really like all of those, thanks for keeping this ticking over while I've been away.:okay:

I didn't visit any cities in Ireland, and didn't see any street art to speak of, in fact I saw no graffiti or even litter, it was spotless. It really is a jaw-droppingly beautiful place, I captured some great cycling pics here: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/post-5632523

The one thing I did notice is that any empty buildings in towns seemed to be 'jazzed-up' with any boards covering windows getting painted, often very simply, like this.
ADQ18cr.jpg

I asked if there was a reason for this and was told that, similar to Wales with its 'best kept village' competition, Ireland has an equivalent 'Tidy Towns' competition, and that even empty and run-down buildings are given a bit of extra colour to make the place look nicer. ^_^

Last edited:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
And someone has wished their mum a happy 60th in Brimmington Park
IMG_20190524_163918.jpg

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I came across this brilliant shell covered house in County Wexford, which is worth including here. Completed over a 30 year period by the home owner Kevin Ffrench (1921-2003). He collected scallops from fishermen at nearby Kilmore Quay, and razor fish shells from Rosslare, all the others he got from the beach in front of his house. New thatched roof obviously pending^_^
8p0A2Sq.jpg

oC1Hqx5.jpg

NDqWdof.jpg

BEXz13d.jpg

eS6T3b0.jpg

OWKPcqY.jpg

And back in London.
vdyh2tO.jpg

OHGAHF8.jpg

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
That shell house reminded me of a couple of holidays in Guernsey in the early 1960s, so thanks for that. :thumbsup:
I recall quite a few houses on the island used ormer shells to decorate their garden walls. The outside of the shell was embedded into the concrete/mortar leaving the mother of pearl inside creating quite a visual effect.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Digbeth, Birmingham

Went there yesterday to play Ghetto Golf (a sort of funky, urban crazy golf) with son #2 who is at Brum Uni. Never been to that area. It's a bit tired but there are signs of gentrification. Street art was pretty good

IMG_20190529_163239.jpg

IMG_20190529_163305.jpg

Who is the "Bohemian from Balsall Heath" in the first picture?

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
@nickyboy it seems the 'bohemian of Balsall Heath' is a nod to local artist Conroy Maddox, key founder of the Birmingham Surrealists. More info: http://www.ruthmillington.co.uk/artist-in-focus-conroy-maddox-bohemian-of-balsall-heath/

That artwork was commissioned by Odeon cinemas for the launch of their new Odeon Luxe cinema in Balsall Heath. Odeon cinemas was founded by Oscar Deutsch, who was born in Birmingham, the Beatles played some gigs at the Odeon in Birmingham, the actor Kenny Baker who played the original R2D2 was also born in Birmingham, and Felicity Jones from the more recent Star Wars: Rogue One film was too.

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
For the last 6 months the iconic 'Stockwell Hall of Fame' has been closed for a re-vamp. A legal-to-paint spot at the forefront of London graffiti and street art for over 40 years, its inclusive and engaged young people, and been a really great community hub the area can be proud of. For decades people have come from all over the world to paint here, but the former sports courts had fallen into disrepair and due to poor drainage the entire surface was coated in a green slime that was incredibly slippery. I fell off my bike the first time I rode down the ramp to enter the pit. It only had one way in and out, and none of the delights that were often deposited within could be seen by the passer-by.

The redevelopment was completed by Network homes in conjunction with Watch this space project, SW9 Housing, Mace, Rock Townsend and Kingsbury Construction, local residents and artists. It has really opened out the space making it much more accessible. In addition to graffiti and street art space, the area can be used for football and basketball, and the central section can also be used to project films onto. More info on the development:

Here's a brilliant photo of the opening last week, communities in action!
http://www.autgram.com/media/2050869962343825149/Bx2J11iBb79
Its the nearest graffiti spot to where I live, so I went along today to check out the changes. I consider myself lucky to live so close to such a legendary spot, and look forward to seeing the free and ongoing rolling art programme, which looks set to continue for many more decades. Here's some early works that have gone up already.
fpSP9ta.jpg

OIVPQ4O.jpg

rUIdoda.jpg

klbFMi2.jpg

85taf4l.jpg

Excellent work by everyone involved, more of this sort of thing^_^:okay:

Last edited:
Top Bottom