Street Art

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Proto

Legendary Member
@nickyboy

That artwork was commissioned by Odeon cinemas for the launch of their new Odeon Luxe cinema in Balsall Heath. Odeon cinemas was founded by Oscar Deutsch, who was born in Birmingham, the Beatles played some gigs at the Odeon in Birmingham, the actor Kenny Baker who played the original R2D2 was also born in Birmingham, and Felicity Jones from the more recent Star Wars: Rogue One film was too.

Not really relevant to art, but my sister went to see the Beatles at the Odeon, New Street Birmingham in something like 1964/65. Apparently she screamed herself senseless for a couple of hours, and she came home in what I would describe as ‘shellshock’, completely gone, monosyllabic. I remember her sitting on the sofa just staring into space.

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Shoreditch
nOUBfDj.jpg

By Jim Vision in Bethnal Green
FVWbXf2.jpg

New one by Mr Cenz in Peckham
ZjT97Nw.jpg

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
@GM you're definitely going to have to go down there if you're Dad's name was Stan or Lee, as that pic on Rhoda Street is right next to the Stan Lee tribute from page 65. https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/street-art.221565/post-5451173 ^_^

And I totally forgot to post this. Remember our discussion back on page 72 about the old Welsh 'Cofiwch Dryweryn' graffiti that had been painted over? link: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/street-art.221565/post-5528871. Well while driving through Wales on my recent trip to Ireland, I can report that it has been restored to its former glory, good work Wales^_^:okay:
l8BxpXi.jpg

And this made me laugh out loud today.
2YXiaTH.jpg
And I came across another one of these today in East London, I like these.
MAGR29A.jpg

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I do like the fact something so huge can go unnoticed and be hiding in plain sight, but I agree it would be more accessible if they could somehow be seen from a naturally high vantage point. I wonder if you can get some good views of parks from the top of the Shard^_^.

Instead of some lame advert for insurance/cars/airlines they could surely do some great stuff on sports pitches and parks, the technology and know how is surely there for groundsmen of football pitches to do some amazing stuff by planting slightly differing colours of grasses, and coupled with the direction of planting and mowing could get some great effects, that would be pretty much unnoticeable at ground level for the players. I imagine all the big grounds have high up cameras, and the big finals often have airships for high camera angles. There could be a reality TV show based on a competition between groundsmen, so much untapped artistic potential:laugh:

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Thanks @SteveF, fingers crossed this is the start of another one of your European tours^_^.

And that first picture you posted above is one of the augmented reality ones that comes to life. I thought I recognised it, in fact its the exact same character that I saw pop up near where I live in Vauxhall last year. I downloaded the app thing you needed to bring it to life, and you can see the old man smoking away on the first animation I posted back on this link back on page 51: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/street-art.221565/post-5293595

Here's Tottenham Hotspurs' South Korean striker Son Heung-min, by Woskerski.
hHa6LyK.jpg

And here's a new paste-up in Shoreditch.
mRbHrYg.jpg

Top Bottom