Stress has caught up with me.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Thanks for your swift replies guys. Odd as this may sound and I dont mean it literally "Im glad Im not the only one out there".

The hardest thing to come to terms with is that I have always enjoyed my work. The rest of my life is perfect, except for that elusive lottery win. But I have a nice home which is almost paid for, a lovely partner, plenty of money in the bank, a reasonable pension from the UK every month, lots of bikes. I am usually in very good health apart from accident damage, which is expected.

I will take on board some of your suggestions. I am struggling to get off the sofa at the moment but I know that wont do me any good.

Onwards and upwards.
I'd say in the early days, don't force yourself to do anything. Lie on the sofa for a while longer, read, research bike stuff on the interweb. You'll know when it's time to start doing stuff again and then you can start.

I was very lucky with my doctor (although writing that, it sounds bad and it shouldn't be that way) but she was very clear from the outset that she would never send me back to work, it would be my decision.

There are more and more people in your situation you're certainly not the only one, unfortunately there's still a reluctance to bring it out into the open.

migrantwing

Veteran
I will take on board some of your suggestions. I am struggling to get off the sofa at the moment but I know that wont do me any good.

As someone who lacks motivation of any sort (my Father's genes) just get up off the sofa and take a walk to the shop, or go in the garden or go visit a friend and definitely get out on your bike. I suffer from crippling downers and depression but don't take medication as they don't help me personally, but seriously, get out there. Clean the windows, repot a plant, take the bins out, paint the fence. Anything but sit there because when you feel better, which you certainly will, you'll regret the minutes, hours and days you sat on your a**e :smile:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Odd as this may sound and I dont mean it literally "Im glad Im not the only one out there".
I got sent on a kind of 'coping with worry' course a couple of years ago for various reasons, and I thought that one of the most helpful things was finding that I wasn't the only one!
The important thing is that others have been there and come through it.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I found\find meditation helpful. In the midst of a rather major and prolonged first attack off Stress/Anxiety/Panic I was eventfully sent after a raft of medical tests to a local session with MIND, where they had a guided relaxation (meditation) session I recall to this day how amazed I was how different I felt afterwards although it only lasted 30 minutes it did teach me the difference between relaxed and not relaxed..

Hope you feel better and don't rush back or maybe even look for another job.

My cycling is an antidote to stress, works most of the time.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Blimey. Yes - I've had the chest pains and I do get stressed to the point of being in a very bad way mentally. I've got a few techniques I use to try and bring myself around. In my situation, I tend to think i'm in an impossible situation (usually overworked or I've messed something up). I end up being unpleasant to my family, and occasionally I've vented my unhappiness at work in an unproductive manor. I try and pick myself up by thinking of others that are worse of than me, and also by.... CYCLING. Cycling has helped me enormously with stress - I go out EVERY lunch time, if I can - Lucky me!

I don't make sails - that sounds amazing btw. I make Digital Media things - Apps, Online Tools - I do the designy part. How stressful can that be. Well, last year one of my projects went over budget by Double (£50K). I messed up, I got stressed. I am OK now!

I hope you can turn this around, and I hope you get the support and help you deserve and need.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Steve, just wishing you good luck from across the miles. The importance of a break is sadly incredibly underestimated by some "management" teams.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Take the time off, and more if you need it. I am going through this right now and it has taken 3 months now to feel like I'm making progress. Having spoken to my boss yesterday, I get the vibe from him that I will be managed out of the business after I return.

So I think it's time to look for a new job.

I will not be rushing back to work until I'm ready to cope.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Listen to this lot. Your employer is letting you down be making you overworked. Take the time out.

My manager has been to see me at hospital and home, and has told me they don't want me back until I am 100% fit, as apparently one of the senior managers isn't doing a great job and is currently blaming everyone else, and I'd be back into a firing line, so they want me on the ball to deal with him.

You can't 'deal head on' with doing three peoples work !

tyred

Legendary Member
You have my utmost sympathy.

I've almost come to a complete halt on a few occasions with workplace stress and it's not nice.

You put yourself first and the company are letting you down.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
What a sad-and-sobering-yet-so-wonderful thread ! :ohmy:

@steveindenmark - you have my deepest sympathies and, as many others have said (but perhaps in not quite the same words) STUFF THEM ! Frankly, your company does not deserve you. If they cannot see the work you are doing, the quality and quantity of it, without having any idea of the hours you put in .... time for them to look for the 3 people they will need to replace you. :boxing:

It is sad :sad: that so many others on CC have had/are having similar scenarios with varying outcomes.
It is WONDERFUL :wahhey: to read how many of those same folk are here to help you, share their painful experiences and pass on their personal responses and results/coping mechanisms.

Time like this, threads like this - I :wub: CC people. :hugs:
Thank you, all contributors :notworthy: and all the best, Steve. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Top Bottom