Stress has caught up with me.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wait4me

Veteran
That,s when I went to see the doctor who told me to remove myself from the stress for 4 weeks. After 3 weeks I need to talk to management to see if a resolution can be found. I know the Company does not want me to leave and that the production manager is also under pressure to get work completed.

Has anyone suffered this badly from stress and do they have any hints?

I was off work with stress for a few months about 12 years ago. The cause was a bullying boss. It first came out when with my wife I said "I wish I was dead" (it didn't mean I wanted to kill myself). Straight to doc on wifes orders and off work with stress and on tablets to ease problem. The tablets were a bit of help but main effect was vivid dreams (no nightmares). after about 2 months I had appointments with a counsellor and after the time on tablets I was receptive to this and it was a big big help. During all the above I probably had the most washed eyes in the county. Eventually I went back to work but never felt confident as I invariably felt before the breakdown, and within less than 9 months I left. No problems in the next job which was just for 2 years before retiring at 60. all my working life was as an electrician.
Now aged 68 I am on tablets to help my stress and am waiting to see a counsellor. Nothing to do with any work but the theory is it is related to me feeling isolated as we live 50 miles from our home town and have next to no friends in the locals after living here 10 years. Before any suggestions about cycle clubs, I am 68 slow on a bike and would be hopelessly out of touch
So now I wonder if some of us are more prone to suffering with stress from whatever cause.
Sorry for the rambling but believe me there is a cure, you will feel well again but I think leaving your current job will be a necessary part of the cure.
Very Very good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Katherine

Guru
@steveindenmark how are you feeling now?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
So now I wonder if some of us are more prone to suffering with stress from whatever cause.
I think it's true that some get more stressed than others, I think I'm reasonably laid back in that respect in comparison to Mr Summerdays and my middle child. Both of them will fret over things building them up into a bigger problem than I would generally and I'm not sure I'm that good at helping de-stress them. Every night I'm getting phone calls from the middle child this week, as she needs help in how to deal with each day. And because Mr Summerdays gets more stressed than me, it's been affecting his sleep.

So I think it's down to our individual personalities, and I think those who are less easy going and who like to be very professional and not let others down try so hard to make everything perfect, when sometimes less than perfect would do, and as a result suffer more. I'm not saying that's the only form of stress but it is one I see in my family.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Thanks for asking Katherine.

Being new to stress I find it hard to describe. I never thought I was the sort of person who would have to.

Non of my symptoms are noticeable to other people and I have always thought of people who take time off with stress to be shirkers, but now I am in their position, I know I was wrong.

My union paid for me to talk to a stress councillor and that was interesting. She knew what I was going to say before I said it as she hears the same story over and over again, or a variation of it. In fact a lot of what she said about work is what Jannie has told me for years.

I have a great home life. Nice home, a good pension every month from the UK, plenty of money in the bank, I don't drink or smoke and I ride 40km most days. I have been with Jannie 10 years and we have never had an argument. I can't think of anything I want. I have bikes, motorbikes, cameras. I have everything I want and so the stress is not coming from home.

At work I am often taking things on in my department which other people should be doing because people prefer me to do it. I am always sorting out problems in my department which are not my problems. I work long hours, often evening work. If something needs doing I am always the one management comes to. Nobody is delegated to look after our department and management will not delegate a team leader. If they did it would be me.

It is my work ethic that has landed me in my position. It drives me nuts to see other colleagues wandering around chatting all day while I am grafting my arxe off. This has been going on for years and management just ignore it.......my heat rate has just shot up.......breath........breath. :0)

I am in this position because for years I wanted to be the best I could possibly be at what I do for work and I was always pushing myself to do that until my body decided it was time to stop. It basically decided that overnight.
Those people who wander around chatting all day have actually got it right.

The sleeplessness, chest pains, anxiety and shakes I am experiencing now is my body telling me to back off and slow down for a while and it can take 3 months for my nervous system to reboot itself. My symptoms are normal and are good according to the stress councillor as some people do not react to the symptoms. Apparently, 1700 people die of stress related illnesses in Denmark every year.

My stress councillor asked if I stopped work now what effect would it have over the next year and my reply was it wouldn't have any effect. My pension pays all my living expenses and my salary is pocket money. But the stupid thing is that there is a box in my head that is still telling me to go back to work now and it is very hard to fight.

My biggest challenge is accepting that I am suffering from stress. Once I can do that I can start to move on.

I am looking at renewing my driving licenses and taking a Drivers CPC course in the UK in April and then looking for a little driving job locally. I am also looking at opening a dog walking business, which is unheard of in Denmark.

I am also signed up for 5 acupuncture classes which is to help relieve stress. It is in a great location not far from me.

At the back of all this is my work. The easiest thing is just to resign and take that pressure away but I like making sails on a big scale and am not prepared to try and set up as an independent. I see those crash and burn, year in year out.

If I do leave and I think I will. I will have a tear in my eye if I pass my sails as I am kayaking.

image.jpg

The good thing is that having this time is helping me to sort the files out in my head and to start sorting the pros and cons. It's not often any of us takes time to do that.

My other option is to fly to Gibralter with the bike to visit an old school friend and then ride back and write a book about the journey. My stress councillor likes that idea :0)

I am taking advance orders on the signed book. Yes..books are made of paper.

Sorry for the ramble but some of the points I have mentioned may strike a chord with someone else.

If you are thinking you cannot suffer from stress.....neither could I.

Last edited:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Steve, thank you for sharing, and in particular being so honest about how your experience of this issue has changed your opinions about others experiencing stress. I used to think those who got stressed were lightweights, until I had my first stress related breakdown. And then my second and third served as reminders. I had my first panic attack in 30 years on NYE 2014/15; the subconscious stress of changing careers and leaving my old job caught up with me, in Disneyland Florida of all places. I guess I dropped my guard and... bang.

I hope you continue to listen to your body, listen to your counsellor, and listen to the positive voices around you, and not the negative, sometimes internal, voices.

Sometimes, sometimes for years on end, we are the hammer. Sometimes we are the nail. I find CBT techniques and practising mindfulness and Stoicism (the actual philosophy not the stiff upper lip bs) to be powerful tools when you wake up and find you are a mere carpet tack.

Good luck, and if you are ever in cph, whilst I am here, let's have a beer.

Last edited:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
If I do leave and I think I will. I will have a tear in my eye if I pass my sails as I am kayaking.

image.jpg
This is quite probably a really stupid question - but can you do a very limited amount of sail making in your garage (for example) or is all the equipment required too big and expensive? Nothing like that gorgeous spinnaker, but there might be a very, very small market for hand made/decorative dinghy sails - not to make money, but to break even but keep your hand in - it really sounds like you enjoy what you make and take pride in it.
Just a thought...

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Spinney,

It's a good question. But in my experience, independent sailmakers in my area are like shops and supermarkets. As soon as you set up a supermarket in the area, the little shops die.

I work for Europes largest sail loft which is quite close to me. I couldnt compete with them. there may even be something in my contract to say I cannot compete with them.

Making a spinnaker like the one in the photo is not a problem in a small space but the money is in sails for which you need a bigger space and more expensive equipment.

It is not something I would contemplate to be honest. If I leave sail making it will be a complete break.

D

Deleted member 26715

It is my work ethic that has landed me in my position. It drives me nuts to see other colleagues wandering around chatting all day while I am grafting my arxe off. This has been going on for years and management just ignore it.......my heat rate has just shot up.......breath........breath. :0)
I am in this position because for years I wanted to be the best I could possibly be at what I do for work and I was always pushing myself to do that until my body decided it was time to stop.
Those people who wander around chatting all day have actually got it right.
The sleeplessness, chest pains, anxiety and shakes I am experiencing now is my body telling me to back off and slow down for a while and it can take 3 months for my nervous system to reboot itself. My symptoms are normal and are good according to the stress councillor as some people do not react to the symptoms.
Sorry for the ramble but some of the points I have mentioned may strike a chord with someone else.
I think you know you are not alone in this position, but just to make it 100% I see all the above in myself, I am currently experiencing similar issues, but I'm hoping I have caught it just in time, but backing off at work & not taking anything outside my own realm is very difficult when I see other doing it wrong.

U

User19783

Hi
Thanks for sharing this with was all,

But please don't do your cpc, as a driving job will make you more stressed, imo,

I used to be a hgv driver, and I've kept my licence going, even done the cpc course, which is a joke, you have to attend five one day courses, no exams just turn up, on my course there was two Polish drivers who couldn't speak English , they pass.."?

I wish you best of luck in whatever you choose to do,
:okay:

wait4me

Veteran
Spinney,

It's a good question. But in my experience, independent sailmakers in my area are like shops and supermarkets. As soon as you set up a supermarket in the area, the little shops die.

I work for Europes largest sail loft which is quite close to me. I couldnt compete with them. there may even be something in my contract to say I cannot compete with them.

Making a spinnaker like the one in the photo is not a problem in a small space but the money is in sails for which you need a bigger space and more expensive equipment.

It is not something I would contemplate to be honest. If I leave sail making it will be a complete break.

Sorry that my last post didn't come out quite right as a reply to you. From my experience a complete break from the job, either to another job or no job is the way t. The best I think you have already hit on. No matter which you chose of those you mention working in a job where the work isn't shared would completely remove the situations of carrying others which seems one of the root causes for the current situation.
Best wishes and things will get back to where they were emotionally

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Hi
Thanks for sharing this with was all,

But please don't do your cpc, as a driving job will make you more stressed, imo,

I used to be a hgv driver, and I've kept my licence going, even done the cpc course, which is a joke, you have to attend five one day courses, no exams just turn up, on my course there was two Polish drivers who couldn't speak English , they pass.."?

I wish you best of luck in whatever you choose to do,
:okay:

I was a HGV driver in the UK for many years and always enjoyed it as I chose the jobs I wanted to do. I am a class one driver but would be quite happy pottering around in a 4 tonner and being home every night. I will be very selective about the driving jobs I take.

When I take my CPC in April it just enabling me to open another door. But I don't have to open it if I don't want to.

A week back in the UK staying in the Peak District will not do me any harm.

Katherine

Guru
Wow. Thanks for sharing.
You have explained very clearly how you feel. Your management have seriously let you down! - as well as the company.
You also understand that it will be a slow recovery.
Best wishes to you with whatever you decide is going to be best for you.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
one last observation @steveindenmark

Your management have identified your strong work ethic. Your strong Anglo-Saxon work ethic. If you go back to work there, go back as a Dane, with a Danish work ethic, where work is just means to an end and what matters is your life/work balance and dare your bosses to call you out on working like a local rather than an expat.

The Danes I work with ain't lazy but they work 35 hours full stop and have different priorities and different values. I envy them.

doog

Hi Steve...I enjoy reading your posts on the touring forum

I hope you sort this out. I retired young, before that I was on the cliff face most days..not literally but I think we share the same work ethic. Like you I have a decent pension and dont need to work...It took me a year of retirement before I realised I had fingernails and now the damned things need cutting.

You state you dont need to work, you do know its possible to lead a stress free life without work:smile:...I cycle, I cook, I walk the dog , I read and do stuff that I never realised I could do...I work on my bikes, I plan tours ...I lie in until I decide to get up and go to bed when I want.

Give semi retirement a go, clear your head and come back on your own terms...best of luck..its a shame the weather turned and you couldnt take that 2 week tour...but bloody hell mate the worlds your oyster.

Top Bottom