Strida bikes – practical option or just for posing??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

seadragonpisces

Über Member
My company will be part of Cyclescheme from next month and I am looking to get a proper folder this time, not a folder-sized bike that doesn’t fold.

I have been looking at the Strida and others but I like the fact the Stida doesn’t seem too heavy, has 3spd, 18in wheels and also folds up super quick.

I guess the main thing is, would I look like a total plonker on it, or is it worth consideration?

I am also considering a Bike Friday (which I am told I could get built up for 1k if I want) or a Brompton S, 6spd or maybe a Moulton 2spd with belt drive
Any views appreciated, thanks

zizou

Veteran
the Strida looks a bit scary to me if you stop suddenly...might be ok, but i wouldnt want to chance it with the top tube (or whatever they call it) at that angle and height :biggrin:

OP
OP
seadragonpisces

seadragonpisces

Über Member
Yes I know what you mean :-), could be a painful experience, sort of along the lines of riding a fixie, then forgetting you are riding one and try and brake, then you miss the pedals and the spiky things stab you in the back of the leg.

I remember those episodes as a kid, which is why you couldnt get me to ride a fixie again for love nor money, I will leave those to the posers in London and bike messenger types lol

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
To me the Strida has always looked more like a design solution than a practical bike. Neither does it look particularly comfortable.

Of the options you list I'd (unsurpisingly) reccomend the Brompton. Why do you prefer the S? Good idea to try out the different bar types before committing. My C2W bike is an M6R, chosen for similarity to it's predecessor M5L. Regret now not getting a P bar.

OP
OP
seadragonpisces

seadragonpisces

Über Member
No real reason for choosing the S, I guess I am open really, not too sure what the real difference over the H etc. I guess I should try them out sometime and go to a shop.

Fudges have emailed me back and have a S6L Titanium Raw in stock and I thought it might do. All my current and previous bikes, well most, have been flat bar and I like that but I am open to something else, so I dont mind waiting for the right one.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
No real reason for choosing the S, I guess I am open really, not too sure what the real difference over the H etc. I guess I should try them out sometime and go to a shop.

Fudges have emailed me back and have a S6L Titanium Raw in stock and I thought it might do. All my current and previous bikes, well most, have been flat bar and I like that but I am open to something else, so I dont mind waiting for the right one.

S types have flat bars which are lower because the grips are the same height as the stem.

Matter of personal preference, I have an M - higher bars - but as Bromptonaut says above, if I was buying again I would probably go for the P type butterfly bars.

I'm not sure if the titanium is worth the extra, but to be honest, I'd have one if money was no object.

You do want to get the selection right, unlike most other bikes, a Brompton is a bike you need only buy once.

Every part is available and serviceable, so you can keep your Brommie going for years and years.

http://www.brompton.co.uk/our-bikes/bike-explorer/1/bike-model

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
My company will be part of Cyclescheme from next month and I am looking to get a proper folder this time, not a folder-sized bike that doesn’t fold.

I have been looking at the Strida and others but I like the fact the Stida doesn’t seem too heavy, has 3spd, 18in wheels and also folds up super quick.

I guess the main thing is, would I look like a total plonker on it, or is it worth consideration?

I am also considering a Bike Friday (which I am told I could get built up for 1k if I want) or a Brompton S, 6spd or maybe a Moulton 2spd with belt drive
Any views appreciated, thanks
How many Bromptons do you see V how many Stridas? I think there may be a reason for this.

Lee_M

Guru
i was about to say marketing, then had a look as i had never heard of strida

why would anyone want one of those things, ugly, stupid lookingg and crush your nuts when you stop

bizarre

byegad

Legendary Member
At one time I looked seriously at buying one to stick in the boot of my car, but the fold still leaves a long item to clutter the boot so didn't order one. Then I noticed that it was getting sales as a fashion statement. That ended any doubt I might have had and now wouldn't be seen dead on one. Fashionable? Moi?

NIce machines

I have two Strida 1 cycles and they are fun bikes to ride for short distances

Both were bought cheap from fashionistas who had bough them and not got on with them - I love odd bikes so into the collection they went

The weak point is the "chainwheel" which was plastic, and if you did not get the fold / unfold right would smash easily
The other issue is that the size is unforgiving - getting the pedal - saddle height correct means a very sort handlebar to seat distance and knee / handlebar collision in my case

I think that the improved versions will be better, but definitely a bike to try out before buying

Little My

Definitely go for a test ride before you settle on a bike.
Also think about comfort and weight - how far will be be riding it, will you be lugging on a public transport will determine which bike is best for you. Stridas are quite rare, I only know of two people that own them and they only use their bikes occasionally. Instead they prefer to tear around on their Moultons (both being a slightly silly middle aged men not in lycra), cane young roadies and then boast about it!

OP
OP
seadragonpisces

seadragonpisces

Über Member
Thanks for the views, still keeping my options open. I wont be taking it on public transport, but it will need to take on cycle paths, so thats the main criteria but after doing more research I am maybe now looking at a Dahon MU P27 but not sure what else is out there as I want something really light as I have a bad back and cant afford to do it in again lugging a heavy bike around

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thanks for the views, still keeping my options open. I wont be taking it on public transport, but it will need to take on cycle paths, so thats the main criteria but after doing more research I am maybe now looking at a Dahon MU P27 but not sure what else is out there as I want something really light as I have a bad back and cant afford to do it in again lugging a heavy bike around

Depends what you mean by cycle paths.

Small-wheeled bikes are not brilliant on hard pack or cinder tracks.

Running lower tyre pressures - slightly increasing the risk of punctures - helps traction.

The Dahon has 20" wheels, much better on tracks than the Brompton's 16".

But the trade-off is the fold of the Dahon, which is a joke in comparison to a Brommie.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Horses for courses. I've a Strida Mk 3 (well a 3.5 really) and a Brommie S. Don't really get confused as to when to ride which.

Strida is easier to handle when folded, as it rolls easily on its wheels. Strida is wheeled pedestrian's bike aimed at giving pedestrians easy extra mobility
Brompton is easier (more pleasant) to ride when unfolded and more adaptable for family use. Brompton is a cyclist's bike.

Top Bottom