Strines ride (just outside Peaks) Sheffield

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mike e

May need to to run a caption competition on this picture...:rolleyes:

1zml6o8.jpg

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
superb picture

mike e

Some pictures from our super day out:-

TopCat1 cresting the first big ascent of the day, MacB just behind
24wg3yq.jpg

The view across from the folly to the horizon, but is there a valley between them?...:biggrin:
w06z6h.jpg

The view from the pub beer garden was ok I suppose...
rcltfa.jpg

I'll leave this one to Teef
6dwzu9.jpg

The real reason why Mac loves his butterfly bars
2n6by1g.jpg

Dodgy van full of dodgy blokes started following me home...;)
22zv6.jpg

redjedi

Über Member
Got in about half an hour ago, absolutely exhausted.

Great weather (as usual!), great company (as usual!) and a very difficult great ride (as usual!)

I look forward to the next South meets North (ish) CC ride, but next time with a better selection of gears :biggrin:

Now we've made the journey up there, you're going to have to come down to our neck of the woods (except Mikeeeee of course, who has started to have his post forwarded down here)

Time for some dinner and another well earned beer.

p.s. Rumour has it that Bonj was on this ride, but photographic evidence is required to back that story up ;):biggrin:

longers

Legendary Member
The ad on the back page of the newest CTC mag is a decent likeness I reckon.

Who he? ;)

Lovely to meet you Matthew, Paul, Mark & Ben. All the "little ones" have been dispensed from the van and I'm home now, with a couple of draught Guinness. You're right mikee - a nice smiling day. Thanks for your company everyone - what another lovely episode. (Apart from the tiresome roadworks on the M One.

longers

Legendary Member
redjedi said:
Now we've made the journey up there, you're going to have to come down to our neck of the woods

Having met you all today then I'm looking forward to it already :biggrin:

Especially if Mrs MacB makes more flapjack, that really was rather good. Thankyou Mrs MacB.

Glad you got back safely, sorry I didn't say cheerio properly but in that traffic my turn off came up rather quick.

Nice to know nice people ;)

2mcdj6q.jpg

Here is 'Boots Folly' (Not, as one might imagine, a description of Hull FC playing footy yesterday. Anything to add mike? Just asking like...;))

Plato (No, not plato chips either...)
"Thus (through perspective) every sort of confusion is revealed within us; and this is that weakness of the human mind on which the art of conjuring and of deceiving by light and shadow and other ingenious devices imposes, having an effect upon us like magic... And the arts of measuring and numbering and weighing come to the rescue of the human understanding-there is the beauty of them --and the apparent greater or less, or more or heavier, no longer have the mastery over us, but give way before calculation and measure and weight?"

That's my excuse you :biggrin:scouse git:biggrin: and I'm sticking to it!

Another type of perspective view, one which is most useful in landscape photography, is known as “zero-point perspective”. Here there are no parallel lines to provide the visual cues for the vanishing point effect. Instead the scene is non-linear and is made up of organic natural curves. Only the relative scale of distant objects provides the visual information to judge depth and thus give the image its third dimension.

Anyway, all the protective sheets are folded, wagon cleaned. I have been out and about this morning and I am off to work for a while. Get the reviews of this splendid day 'up' playmates!

Finally, a picture of two handsome gents from the CycleChat pin up gallery, together with a picture of bonj's 'local' - so I was told! :biggrin:

333esl0.jpg

Top Mark and Handy Andy

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Hi folks, well did my usual at Clapham Junction, got to platform as train doors closed so had to wait 40 mins for next train. Finally got home a bit before midnight and stumbled off to bed. Massive thanks to Teef for driving duties. made it as easy for the rest of us as possible. Great to meet all the folks and my thanks to Marin for a good ride. Think lack of sleep hurt me a bit coz I thought the hills were a lot tougher than the Surrey one, but Andy assured me they weren't. Perversely I actually enjoyed the uphills more than the down, some of those I found a little too hairy! Most insulting moment of the day was Mikee riding along, uphill, no-handed, on fixed, taking pictures.....he could at least try to make it look hard!!! Longers was in possession of a very nice looking new bike, most envious. Marin has the same tastes in bikes as Red, enough said on that one. But the true highlight, what really made the day...............

It was 'All About The Bonj', what a treat meeting him was, charming, effusive, chatty, helpful, no praise is high enough. As he knew the ride intimately it just wouldn't have been the same without him. He provided helpful tips on what was coming up, cheery commentary on the sights and was always ready with a witty anecdote or a bit of useful advice. The miles just flow by when you're in that sort of company. It's a pleasure to meet a quality rider who just 'gets' the idea of a social ride. They're patient with the less able, ensure the group doesn't get too spread out and just generally smooth the ride experience for all. I'm not generally bad at 'reading' people via their web postings, but I really had Bonj all wrong. I'd concocted this mental image of a selfish twat so wrapped up in themselves that the real world barely impinges. How wrong can you be, I'm humbled by the largesse of his spirit:evil:

mike e

A lovely day out with faces old and new. Thanks to marinyork for the ride, longers and hulver and the London lad's from my neck of the woods...:tongue: I didn't really talk to Bonj as such as the little time he spent with us on this ride was at the front, it does seem a little pointless in making the effort to turn up for a "social" ride only to sod off when it doesn't fit in with your own agenda...;)

Back to the ride, and after a little delay to our departure time we set off in brilliant sunshine with little wind making for ideal cycling conditions. A fairly direct route out of Sheffield and we was soon on our first gentle-ish climb out into the countryside, this then followed a short, sharp drop past our first reservoir of the day (Damflask). And then the first tough climb but well worth the views at the top, some lovely rolling roads with very little traffic took us round Dale Dike and Strines reservoirs, it was along this stretch that we passed the folly (details which have been descibed in detail;)) Shortly after the Strines pub a lovely climb through the Bole Edge plantation brought on some serious "King of the Mountains" action, unfortunately this resulted in a number of riders, myself including, missing a junction, by the time we had realized we were quite a way up the road but we managed to stop before taking on another big descent, well most of us stopped. ILB was so chuffed with his newly aquired KOM points that he just kept going he finally stopped on the other side of the valley at a junction where we could see him but he could not hear us shouting. No mobile phone signal so we called upon postman pat to deliver our message, ILB finally re-grouping as we then did with the main bunch. We could now carry on our merry way down a fast but quite technical (read broken road)

Top Bottom