Stripping down and cleaning a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
How easy is this? I'm particularly want to clean my cassette and rear mech as they have gotten quite grim, and I can't seem to be able to clean them properly when they are still attached to the bike.
Thought I could perhaps grease the hub while I'm at it. Also with the cassette off I take it the chain can be taken off and given a good clean (Sheldon shake jobbie) at the same time?
I've got the Lidl tool kit, Haynes Manual and links to Alex's Bicycle tutor etc so I'm up for giving it a go.

Tynan

Veteran
chain is easy, even I can do that

rear mech and cassette you can get as clean as they deserve to be on surely? they'll get visually gunky pdq anyway

have you got the rakey thing for getting between the gears on the casette? last time i chain cleaned it all looked pretty shipshape afters

Oldlegs

Frogs are people too.
It's all straightforward if you have the tools Don't know what comes in the Lidl pack or your groupset but generally.

For the cassette you need a chain whip, lock ring removal tool and a big adustable spanner. Make sure you can put it back together in the right order and try not to drop it - spacers can really roll if given the chance.

Chain needs a chain breaker and (usually) a supply of new pins to reconnect.

The derailuer is held on by an Allen bolt as is the cable. Obviously you need to be able to re-adjust the gears when you put it back on.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Oldlegs said:
It's all straightforward if you have the tools Don't know what comes in the Lidl pack or your groupset but generally.

For the cassette you need a chain whip, lock ring removal tool and a big adustable spanner. Make sure you can put it back together in the right order and try not to drop it - spacers can really roll if given the chance.

Chain needs a chain breaker and (usually) a supply of new pins to reconnect.

The derailuer is held on by an Allen bolt as is the cable. Obviously you need to be able to re-adjust the gears when you put it back on.

Cheers, I have all those apart from new pins for the chain. I was thinking of putting on a powerlink - it's a standard chain for an 8 speed cassette (Shimano Alivio groupset) I've finally got the swing of adjusting gears too.

Oldlegs said:

If you don't undo the cable you won't need to re-adjust the gears. Once the chain is off and the wheel is out there should be enough space around the mech to give it a thorough clean.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
make sure you thread the chain correctly through the rear mech. i did a strip down this morning and only noticed i'd got it slightly wrong once i'd rejoined the chain. ;)

i had to dis- and reassemble the rear mech to sort that one out :smile:

yello

mickle said:
If you don't undo the cable you won't need to re-adjust the gears. Once the chain is off and the wheel is out there should be enough space around the mech to give it a thorough clean.

...is the approach I take... but only because I'm rubbish at gear adjustments and dare not touch them when they're set up right!

One day, I hope to be brave enough to completely strip, clean and re-assemble the bike. It's only the rear dérailleur adjustments that scare me, I'm okay with everything else!

dodgy

I used to take my chains off to clean them but I don't bother anymore. I just spray with some Fenwicks FS1 (similar but kinder than Muc Off) and give it a really good scrub, rinse, repeat. It comes out spangly. Simply dry thoroughly with an old towel and re-lub. Take the opportunity to measure your chain for stretch while you're at it.

Dave.

i usually leave the rear mech attached and just remove both jockey wheels and the inner plate. remember to put them back in the right place as some makes (shimano xt for one) have a different bearing top and bottom.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Well, I kind of stripped the bike down. It turns out that the lock ring removal tool as described in the Lidl toolbox and the lock ring removal tool that I saw on the Alex Tutorial and Haynes Manual are totally different. So I couldn't get the cassette off. Cassette was much easier to clean when the back wheel was off though.
Also didn't undo the gear cable, or take the rear mech off the hanger, but took the jockey wheels off to clean etc.
Everything has been put back together, appears to be functioning correctly and hasn't fallen off so that's a good sign :thumbsup:.
The hardest thing I found was getting the back wheel back on afterwards. Glad I've done it in the comfort of my own home though. Preparation for having to eventually contend with a certain fairy when out and about.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
annoyingly the supposed tool i had for tightening the cassette seems to be made of cheese, so i had to do a 15 mile tt with (as it turns out) loose sprockets making a right racket. the drive train was oddly smooth even so though. early morning trip to lbs now in order :blush:

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
robbarker said:
Where are you in Wales? If it's not too far you could always bring it in to my workshop.

I'm in North West Wales, near the vicinity of Llanberis.
Let me guess - your down South:smile:

Top Bottom