Strong Wheelset Needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jhey

Wondering if anyone can help me out? I took time off cycling due to getting married and having a little one but now I'm looking to get back into it, unfortunately I've gained weight (a lot) wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a good strong wheelset around £200-250 price.

Tim Hall

Wondering if anyone can help me out? I took time off cycling due to getting married and having a little one but now I'm looking to get back into it, unfortunately I've gained weight (a lot) wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a good strong wheelset around £200-250 price.
What sort of bike? What sort of riding? How heavy are you?

OP
OP
Jhey

Jhey

What sort of bike? What sort of riding? How heavy are you?

Road bike. Trek Domane, mix of commuting and weekend riding, nothing crazy. I'm around 120kg.

Currently have Mavic Aksium's on there but they have done a lot of miles and lots of winter riding and need replacing.

pawl

Legendary Member
Can recommend Mavic Aksiums .I don’t know what the weight limit is but I have had no problems with riding on some pretty rough road surfaces.Tyres can be a bit of a B to fit.

OP
OP
Jhey

Jhey

Can recommend Mavic Aksiums .I don’t know what the weight limit is but I have had no problems with riding on some pretty rough road surfaces.Tyres can be a bit of a B to fit.

That's what I currently have but the max is 120kg including bike so it's just over, though they are good.

Did look into strong wheels and ended up buying a pair of Pro Lite Bracciano A27 which have no limit on weight from wiggle but they were delivered damaged so I was going to swap them for the same set but they are taking absolutely ages to reply to emails so I've decided I may just get something from else where as this would be a quicker option.

You weigh about the same as me, and I manage just dandy without anything special hoop wise.

What ones do you currently have?

I've always been advised to get handbuilts, but whenever I've needed wheels I've not been in a position to wait, I've needed them straight away, this led me to try Halo wheels a few years ago, and I can wholly recommend them.

I've been running Halo Aerorage wheels for a few years now without any issues what so ever, (and FWIW I'm about 13kg heavier than your good self) :whistle:

The Aerorage name seems to be reserved for Halo's track wheels now, but their White Line road wheel HERE looks very similar to mine.

vickster

Legendary Member

Drago

Legendary Member

Just the standard hoops that came on my bikes. As Adrian rightly says, if you're a sympathetic rider, light on your feet and sensitive to the forces you're putting through the contact points you'll be fine.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
That's what I currently have but the max is 120kg including bike so it's just over, though they are good.

Did look into strong wheels and ended up buying a pair of Pro Lite Bracciano A27 which have no limit on weight from wiggle but they were delivered damaged so I was going to swap them for the same set but they are taking absolutely ages to reply to emails so I've decided I may just get something from else where as this would be a quicker option.

My local bike shop rate Shimano wheels as decent value and build quality for factory made.

You mention being in negotiation with Wiggle, who have a range of Shimano wheels.

Anything with a relatively high number of spokes - and specced for whatever brakes you have - should do the job.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano/wheels/

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Have a look at Merlin Cycles website.I bought some Mavic rims on Deore hubs 36 spokes very strong and seem to roll along nicely.

adamhearn

Veteran
At my heaviest I wasn't far off that weight and I've been riding a set of Shimano RS10's... with 16 spokes front, 20 rear. I'd echo above - it's how you treat them rather than how many spokes they have. Point in case my hybrid has 32 spokes and the rear went out of true, broke spokes and even a couple of axles (freewheel) whereas the RS10's are still almost perfectly true after 2-3 thousand miles. Needless to say the hybrid wasn't as well looked after on the road :|

Top Bottom