Stronglight mudguards from Planet X

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hardrock93

Guru
I bought a pair of these after my existing front mudguard got trashed, so have only fitted the front one. As the ad makes clear, you will need to source fixings to attach them to the frame/forks - no biggie. They are pretty solidly made but I've discovered one problem. When a twig got caught in the front wheel, the 'safety release' feature worked exactly as intended; it released the stays and possibly prevented a locked wheel. Unfortunately, the tiny plastic components of the safety clips flew off into the undergrowth, never to be seen again. I read somewhere that the SKS safety release does not self destruct in this way. I hasten to add that the Stronglight still adorns my front wheel, does its job very well indeed and, with a bit of bodging, still releases in the event of a jam.

D

Deleted member 1258

I bought a pair of these after my existing front mudguard got trashed, so have only fitted the front one. As the ad makes clear, you will need to source fixings to attach them to the frame/forks - no biggie. They are pretty solidly made but I've discovered one problem. When a twig got caught in the front wheel, the 'safety release' feature worked exactly as intended; it released the stays and possibly prevented a locked wheel. Unfortunately, the tiny plastic components of the safety clips flew off into the undergrowth, never to be seen again. I read somewhere that the SKS safety release does not self destruct in this way. I hasten to add that the Stronglight still adorns my front wheel, does its job very well indeed and, with a bit of bodging, still releases in the event of a jam.

Secu clips for front mudguard are available, I use a pair on the back of my fixed to make getting the wheel out easier, the bike has track ends.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mudguards/sks-secu-clips-for-front-mudguard-stays-per-pair/

Top Bottom