Stuck cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
So basically I cannot for the life of me get my cassette off and short of taking an angle grinder to it I'm a bit stuck.

I've attached some pics to show the cassette and tool im using, am using a chain whip too before anyone asks :rolleyes:. Have I got the right tool is my main ask or any other tips or tricks. I've sprayed with penetrative oil and left overnight, had a mate bounce on it while I hold the whip and used a long length of pipe on my wrench to get more leverage to no avail.
Thanks in advance for any wizardry you may know

20220530_194117.jpg

20220530_194125.jpg

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Put the cassette removal tool in the grips of a vice, then turn the wheel?
It worked for me, granted, it was a strong chap that managed it, not myself, but that is the method he used.
From your picture, it looks like your tool is not engaging completely in the vertical position.

boydj

Legendary Member
Put the cassette removal tool in the grips of a vice, then turn the wheel?
It worked for me, granted, it was a strong chap that managed it, not myself, but that is the method he used.
From your picture, it looks like your tool is not engaging completely in the vertical position.

With the tool in the vice, you use the chain whip and leverage from the wheel rim to exert maximum force to free the lock ring.

OP
OP
Scotchlovingcylist

Scotchlovingcylist

That's as far in as it goes.

I guess you are using the chain whip a few cogs up?

Yeah, 3rd cog up as advised on numerous videos I've watched.

Try just extending the lever - say sticking a pipe or something similar on the wrench that you use

Tried this already with some scaffold pipe.

Will keep at it with a lot of brute force me thinks, main issue was I feared I had the wrong tools which may be the case based on @Pat "5mph" suggestion.
Failing this I may 'carefully' take an angle grinder with a Slitting disc in to it.
I'm not sure the lbs would do anything different but will see.

OP
OP
Scotchlovingcylist

Scotchlovingcylist

You are turning it the correct way to loosen?

I reckon so, anticlockwise whilst keeping downward clockwise pressure on the chain whip......

Perhaps tipping boiling water over it might expand something enough to loosen it? :whistle:

Good shout, or maybe a butane torch?

bruce1530

Guru
If the tip above about putting the removal tool in a vice doesn't help, before trying an angle grinder I'd be tempted to try an impact driver.

or, rather than having someone else hold the chain whip while you put weight on a bar, have the wheel on the ground and the whip resting against something rigid - maybe a large brick or something.

OP
OP
Scotchlovingcylist

Scotchlovingcylist

Lots of options for tomorrow guys so thanks.
As much as I can be a rough arse im pretty accurate with fire and grinding so again, options ^_^

Ajax Bay

Guru
To hold the tool in place, reinsert the QR lever and tighten. Use the chain whip on the second largest sprocket (for greater torque). Apply force: nothing can break (he says). But as soon as it loosens; stop. Remove the QR lever and complete the lockring removal. Resolve to apply grease to the cleaned lockring and the smallest sprocket thread of the new cassette before fitting. Torque to 40Nm (six 'clicks' for me).

Top Bottom