Stuck with a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steelchap

Regular
Just wondering peoples experiences with having bought a bike, deciding they don't like it or it's not right for them, and then being stuck with it. Do you just ride it anyway, adapt it, sell it, or engage it in voodoo ceremonies based around effigies of the lbs owner?

I recently bought my first and last carbon road bike, and for various reasons couldn't ride it anymore. The lbs don't want to know, and theres a possibility I'll be stuck with it.

classic33

Leg End Member
Why can't you ride it. Is it down to the bike or the rider?

As for being stuck with it, you could sell it on(you'll never get what you paid for it though).

OP
OP
S

Steelchap

Regular
The bike. I just think it's odd that you can't take a bike back easily. But you can pretty much anything else. And wondered what others have done

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The bike. I just think it's odd that you can't take a bike back easily. But you can pretty much anything else. And wondered what others have done
There's a legally determined list of why, and when, you can return goods. And what has to happen when you do. Consumer law applies to bikes just like everything else. Though ime bike shops, especially independent lbs's, like to play fast and loose with all manner if bs to try to get round their legal obligations. Many will offer over and above the legal minimum, though.

So it all comes down to what's "wrong" with the bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
What's wrong with it?
Some shops like Evans allow returns for up to a month for example IIRC
This is why having a decent testride is always a v good idea to check it's the right bike

Sounds like selling it is the only option if you really can't get on with it for whatever reason

Levo-Lon

Guru
Ive done it a few times with motorcycles..
Xjr1300 ..70 miles one week and i lost a grand..
Z750 same,lost a grand after about 300 miles and a month.
Hyabusa..nearly 1500 quid lost with that,i just couldn't make it handle "

I bought the wrong first full suspension mtb..again lost a grand but i did use it for a year.
If you dont like it you never will , take the hit and move on..if you can of course

Lozz360

Veteran
There's a legally determined list of why, and when, you can return goods.
Only applies if the goods are faulty. If the customer changes their mind, the shop has no obligation to accept return of the item. However, retailers may have T&Cs that allow you to return a bike that is not faulty. Decathlon for instance, accept returns on bikes for up to a year after purchase.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I was stuck with a bike that was too big for me for a while. I did still ride it a fair bit and I did eventually start to hate it, but I finally managed to sell it the other day.

Top Bottom