Stuck with a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Different strokes for different folks. If the OP likes steel and doesn't like carbon, then bully, but it's a pretty long extrapolation from "I don't like this" to "this is universally rubbish". I can't stand cheese. Vile stuff. But it seems pretty popular so I have to accept that the problem is mine.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Do you own or have you ridden a carbon Synapse? What type of bike do you ride?

I've been road riding for over 20yrs. Today i did 75miles in under 4h30m with 3 surrey climbs. I'm no expert but I'm confident riding on the road, or off road on my mtb (15yr old 26" aluminium).

Yes, I ride a Carbon Synapse, two steel road bikes a rigid steel MTB and an aluminium MTB full suspension.

BorderReiver

Veteran
It is a big stretch to say that because you don't like one carbon frame all carbon frames are rubbish. I didn't like my Tarmac (looking back a Roubaix would have been better but those Zertz(?) inserts were seriously ugly) but the Scott CR1 I got to replace it is brilliant and suits me much better. Carbon, probably more than steel, can be made to feel pretty much however the makers want it to feel. And yes, I have a steel bike as well- and a titanium one.

OP
OP
S

Steelchap

Regular
It is a big stretch to say that because you don't like one carbon frame all carbon frames are rubbish. I didn't like my Tarmac (looking back a Roubaix would have been better but those Zertz(?) inserts were seriously ugly) but the Scott CR1 I got to replace it is brilliant and suits me much better. Carbon, probably more than steel, can be made to feel pretty much however the makers want it to feel. And yes, I have a steel bike as well- and a titanium one.
You clearly have a lot of money!

midlife

Guru
Phat tubes

Does that stop you rotating your ankle out? Just curious

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Ha, most amusing. I don't live on the forum so hope suspense wasn't too crushing.

I got a carbon synapse. I took it out for a 60mile test ride to really see what's what. And the ride compliance is awful. Every bump felt. The road buzz left my fingers in pain an having to ride on the centre of the bars.
The worst thing is it's a bitch to get one's feet out the clips. I fell off twice in traffic as i was frantically trying to get out of spds. Never had problems on my old bike with same pedals an shoes.

Then theres the rattling from the internal cables on Berkshires finest roads. Basically i can't stand the bike. If this is what carbon bikes are like, i must be some kind of delicate flower. This is why i was querying what others have done when stuck with a bike. I'd probably loose £5-600 on it if i sold it.

I don't think my story is relevant to what i asked. Which is peoples experiences in this situation.

I've only ridden a few carbon bikes (2 belonging to friends and 4 on test rides) and I've not been impressed.

I might as well say it first but... they feel 'cheap'. I've tried to think this through (not in an all consuming way as life's way to short) and have come to the conclusion that it's the 'hollow' noise that they make. Riding over a chipping coated road is horrible - it sounds as though something somewhere is rattling and is echoing through the tubes. It must be the big fat frame tubes that do this as I've had/have aluminium bikes with carbon forks and they don't do this.

And the ride feels harsh - I have read plenty about how compliant/plush carbon is but that's not my (albeit limited) experience. It feels like there is a constant jarring sensation going on - not in a major way, just as a background sensation.

I've just purchased a new aluminium bike and during the test-ride saga (always is with me) I had tried a slightly lower spec' model and liked it. I went back for another 'go' (4 altogether!) and my size was then only available to test in carbon. It fitted fine but felt awful, nowhere near as nice as the aluminium. I waited until my size in aluminium came in stock to try again and was won over by it.

My 'beef' with carbon may sound like a load of rollocks to some but hey-ho - speak as you find.

All of the above if mis-sold or not fit for purpose. But few of us are prepared to push hard enough to assert our rights.
Well, yes, and I'm sorry I did not include 3 paragraphs of disclaimers here. I was referring to purchases that matched the OP. He doesn't like his new bike, but it's fine, and it's fit for purpose**, he just doesn't like it. Which is reasonable, but it's not the retailers fault.

I recently bought some running shoes for more than I hoped to pay. I asked the retailer before paying what I could do if I wasn't happy. He said "If you haven't worn them outside, we can give you a refund" so I padded about in my house for a few days to convince myself the fit was good. If I didn't like that policy, I could have walked away.

Seriously, how many people here would spend over £1000 on something they weren't 100% sure of without talking about return policy?

**Synapse is designed for riding on roads like you find in Berkshire. I bet there were hundreds out there today, all perfectly happy.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I also disagree with those questioning spd pedals. The Synapse is wider on the main triangle, making it tougher to clip out. I have some old Look PP166 pedals I'll give a go for confirmation.
I cry bs.

Your perception is that it is more difficult, but then your perception will be influenced by a dislike of the bike. If old shoes, cleats and pedals are transferred from one bike to another and the spds aren't releasing, some has changed/gone wrong. A different Q factor can't change that materially.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Different strokes for different folks. If the OP likes steel and doesn't like carbon, then bully, but it's a pretty long extrapolation from "I don't like this" to "this is universally rubbish". I can't stand cheese. Vile stuff. But it seems pretty popular so I have to accept that the problem is mine.
Have you tried all the different kinds? ;)

Top Bottom