Stuck with a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

Steelchap

Regular
But in general you cant take thigs back after yoiu change your mind about whether they're for you or not.

Unfortunately you're wrong. You obviously don't spend much time around women. My wife sends plenty of things back, women in the office send so much stuff back to asos and M&S etc. Thankfully the credit card company agreed with me, as technically they own the bike, and they've gone back to the shop. Putting 'return within 14 days for refund' on the receipt (or contract of sale) and not abiding by it, puts the shop into legal difficulties.

It's all very well saying this and that about it being comfortable 'for you', but everyone is different. I made the mistake of buying a 29" Trek MTB, and it was proper heavy. I stuck with it though, but quickly realised it was suicide trying to do mtb trails, so it became a commuting bike. And eventually languished in the shed as a spare until i sold it for less than half of what i paid for it.

GrumpyGregry said: comfort is subjective
agreed it is..........

Thank you

The way the shop i purchased the bike from operates, is that they order the bike, and it's effectively yours. They don't stock bikes. So it was mine before i'd even seen it, let alone ridden it. I had no opportunity to ride it. My first ride was when i left the shop to go home.

I did the recent Ride100 on my Columbus SLX bike and had a very comfortable ride as i clocked in at 5h15mins, passing a few on Synapses. However after chatting with a few people at the start, i can see that Titanium is a better direction to go in to replace my sadly ageing road bike.

my custom built titanium

Any recommendations? I'm looking at Reilly or Enigma.

Hard to believe how far off course this post has gone!

Putting 'return within 14 days for refund' on the receipt (or contract of sale)
You might have mentioned this a bit earlier

vickster

Legendary Member
Unfortunately you're wrong. You obviously don't spend much time around women. My wife sends plenty of things back, women in the office send so much stuff back to asos and M&S etc. Thankfully the credit card company agreed with me, as technically they own the bike, and they've gone back to the shop. Putting 'return within 14 days for refund' on the receipt (or contract of sale) and not abiding by it, puts the shop into legal difficulties.

It's all very well saying this and that about it being comfortable 'for you', but everyone is different. I made the mistake of buying a 29" Trek MTB, and it was proper heavy. I stuck with it though, but quickly realised it was suicide trying to do mtb trails, so it became a commuting bike. And eventually languished in the shed as a spare until i sold it for less than half of what i paid for it.

GrumpyGregry said: comfort is subjective

Thank you

The way the shop i purchased the bike from operates, is that they order the bike, and it's effectively yours. They don't stock bikes. So it was mine before i'd even seen it, let alone ridden it. I had no opportunity to ride it. My first ride was when i left the shop to go home.

I did the recent Ride100 on my Columbus SLX bike and had a very comfortable ride as i clocked in at 5h15mins, passing a few on Synapses. However after chatting with a few people at the start, i can see that Titanium is a better direction to go in to replace my sadly ageing road bike.

Any recommendations? I'm looking at Reilly or Enigma.

Hard to believe how far off course this post has gone!
Look at my thread about titanium bikes in the bike buying forum

I spend plenty of time around women too ;)

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
"Passing a few on synapses" - is a throw away remark that means diddly squat

I honestly think you got the bike set-up wrong..........

Lee_M

Guru
Why do we 'have' to try these new technologies? Magazines an shops (even the GCN youtube boys) keep plugging carbon. But mostly based on weight. I don't care about a 1kg here or there.

I did 75miles of the ridelondon route today (not the central london) on Columbus slx cromo, i passed loads of much younger chaps on noisy carbon bikes. Most of whom are likely to have never ridden a silky smooth steel bike.

But to be fair they probably rode the whole 100, and not just 75.

BTW I have a steel bike and I find it far less comfortable and silky smooth than my carbon bike.

I think all this guff about the comfort of steel is just that - guff- made up by people who don't want carbon, no one ever said steel was supremely comfortable in the 70s when he had no choice, a well laid up carbon bike is (in my experience) at least as comfortable as steel

S-Express

I think all this guff about the comfort of steel is just that - guff- made up by people who don't want carbon, no one ever said steel was supremely comfortable in the 70s when he had no choice, a well laid up carbon bike is (in my experience) at least as comfortable as steel

yep - this ^^

Except to say that setup/fit, tyre choice and tyre pressure make far more difference to comfort than frame material ever will.

GuyBoden

Guru

BTW I have a steel bike and I find it far less comfortable and silky smooth than my carbon bike.

The bike's design geometry and dimensions are probably more important for riding comfort than the material. Increased fork rake, fork Trail, chain stay length and an overall longer wheelbase will give a more comfortable ride, but probably a slower bike, so there is a compromise.

Lee_M

Guru
The bike's design geometry and dimensions are probably more important for riding comfort than the material. Increased fork rake, fork Trail, chain stay length and an overall longer wheelbase will give a more comfortable ride, but probably a slower bike, so there is a compromise.

Comfort is a very personal thing. I find my Giant Propel far more comfortable than my Trek Domane, but traditional thinking says it should be the other way round.

Both are still more comfortable than my steel SS though

GuyBoden

Guru
Comfort is a very personal thing. I find my Giant Propel far more comfortable than my Trek Domane, but traditional thinking says it should be the other way round.

Both are still more comfortable than my steel SS though

I had an Aluminium framed bike and unreasonably blamed Aluminium for the discomfort and stiffness, when actually it was due to the bike's geometry. Any bike frame material can be designed to be comfortable.

OP
OP
S

Steelchap

Regular

Yes, but each to their own. I found riding what is supposedly a super comfy bike like riding on bricks. I'd paid for a non-specific bike fitting, as this is the shops main business, so the bike should have been set up perfectly for me.

That quote was from a few weeks ago, and i did the whole 100miles last weekend on my steel bike.

Did you read the name of the person you replied to?

Clearly not, i've not noticed many post by women on here. I'm never sure if they're/or any males are non-binary, non-gender specific or whatever these days. I'm clearly an anti-women/men/people facist or something :/

hoopdriver

Guru
I have still only had a couple of answers to the original question. I was just seeking out peoples experiences. However I appear to have been put on trial for not liking a bike.
No one is putting you on trial for not liking a particular style of bike or suggesting that it is wrong to regret a purchase, but your whole approach to the matter doesn't make much sense to most of us on here, at least not the way you have described it.

OP
OP
S

Steelchap

Regular
Look at my thread about titanium bikes in the bike buying forum

I was wading through the search responses, so will get to it. Although i notice your signature doesn't appear to mention a Ti bike. Do you know anywhere good to test them? (I live in London). I know that FatBirds have some for sale in Hunstanton near my in-laws holiday home.

The Genesis Equilibrium 20 was another bike I was considering.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I had an Aluminium framed bike and unreasonably blamed Aluminium for the discomfort and stiffness, when actually it was due to the bike's geometry. Any bike frame material can be designed to be comfortable.
Indeed although i have 2 bikes from the same manufacturer with the same frame size and geometry , alloy one has always been a bone shaker whereas the carbon one certainly abosorbs more buzz .

Top Bottom