Stuck with a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I dont think he needs to give it away he will be able to sell it ok.

I think all he needs to do is ride it after a few weeks he will have forgotton he didnt initially like it.
But he'll take a huge hit in the wallet, as you do with any newish pre-loved bike.

ozboz

Guru
I bought a Surley CC , and as time went on became less impressed with it ,one year later I bought a carbon BH ,at first I thought my fillings were going to rattle loose it was that stiff ! , I played around with tyre pressures to make it a nicer ride ,I m not into clip style pedals , but tried a few different ones till I got some that suited , also put a more of a hybrid gel type saddle , now I cannot praise it enough.
The Surley , def more comfortable , going to
Put flat bars on , mtb shifters
Pannier racks back and front to go touring on ,
So in answer to the OP , meddle around a bit , see how it goes , they are a good bike, if you do find its not you, you'll get a good return I say ,

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Ok.....i actually ride and own a synapse carbon hi-mod.....

I think the op is referring to the bottom bracket of the synapse being a bb30a, which is 73mm rather than the standard 68mm of most bikes, especially steel. What hes not aware is that the crankset is also 5mm narrower on the non drive said to make up for the extra 5mm in bb width.

Clipping out of spds, well maybe they are just too tight and you need to release the tension a little.

Rattly cables....wouldnt know about that issue as 1. I ride disc's with full length outers all the way through. 2. I also use sram etap, so no cabbles there.

Now uncomfortable, not on your nelly and i'm comparing that to my custom built titanium........i would put that down to over inflated tyres, even at 18st i run 95 rear, 90 front on 25mm gp4000sII and never had a comfort issue

jowwy

Sits here scratching head.....
Bottom bracket on the synapse is a bb30a another stupid standard by cannondale.......its 73mm rather than the standard 68s on most bikes. But the its only wider on the non drive side. Therefore the non drive side crank is 5mm thinner to make up for thd extra bb width.

They've called it the power pyramid. But its defo not umcomfortable even for a lardy on 25mm tyres

jowwy

Right hand picture

cannsctech.jpg

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Being rattled, vibrated, knocked, shocked and rocked on Berkshire roads is my favourite pass time.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Bottom bracket on the synapse is a bb30a another stupid standard by cannondale.......its 73mm rather than the standard 68s on most bikes. But the its only wider on the non drive side. Therefore the non drive side crank is 5mm thinner to make up for thd extra bb width.

They've called it the power pyramid. But its defo not umcomfortable even for a lardy on 25mm tyres

My comment is due to his SPD problem not the BB.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Sorry, still laughing at the "Power Pyramid". Sounds like an ancient Egyptian pick-up line.

Sandra6

Veteran
In the past few months I've sold a good few synapses, across the range, and met more people that own them already, never heard a single complaint.
We did have one guy who brought his back with the shoes still attached to the pedals - because they didn't work - turns out he just wasn't doing it right!

In my shop we do allow customers to return bikes they're not happy with after the first ride.
So far I've only met one guy who has returned his, it wasn't a synapse, and he exchanged it for something else. But in general you cant take thigs back after yoiu change your mind about whether they're for you or not. I've got shoes I'll never wear because it turns out they just weren't comfy, and a couple of of pairs of jeans that didn't fit after all - or after a large dinner and bottle of wine!!

Nobody forced you to try these new technologies though. Having done the research I know carbon's not for me so I won't be trying it any time soon. If you're not bothered about the weight, why did you go for the carbon at all?

My advice would be to ask the shop where you bought it if you can exchange it for something more suitable. Either that or suck up the loss and sell it on, but try not to tell a prospective buyer what you really think.

Top Bottom