Studded winter tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Talking of winter tyres, is anybody aware of studded tyres that come in 28mm widths?
I've googled, but they all seem to be in much wider tyres and my Ribble winter/audax frame, just takes 28mm tyres.

As a victim to black ice a couple of years ago, it would increase my confidence a tad when the temps plunge.

Thanks

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There aren't any that narrow. My solution was my old MTB which came out for the commute in icy weather.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thanks,

Will give these a go. 28 to 30 mm is only 1mm either side, so might just fit.

Cheers

Worth a try, but there may be another snag.

Studded tyres tend to be taller than non studs so may scrape the underside of mudguards - if fitted.

OP
OP
Sharky

Sharky

Guru
Worth a try, but there may be another snag.

Studded tyres tend to be taller than non studs so may scrape the underside of mudguards - if fitted.
Stopped using mudguards a few years ago, when I stopped commuting and gave up leading the club runs. Now it's usually solo rides in dry day light.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Talking of winter tyres, is anybody aware of studded tyres that come in 28mm widths?
I've googled, but they all seem to be in much wider tyres and my Ribble winter/audax frame, just takes 28mm tyres.

As a victim to black ice a couple of years ago, it would increase my confidence a tad when the temps plunge.

Thanks
You will just come off at a higher speed.

Wouldn't using really soft decently grippy tyres be better ?

I used some Schwalbe G-One All-round a few years back, terrible in that there wear out after 1000km but that's because they grip like hell in cold weather as the rubber is so soft, a bit like winters tyres in cars ie no one uses ice tyres unless you're on ice more than you're on tarmac.

Soft rubber compound is what i'd want under me in slippy/icy conditions as surface ice will be so thin that i'm not sure studs will really do much ?

OP
OP
Sharky

Sharky

Guru
You will just come off at a higher speed.
When I came off, I was riding Conti City Contacts (28mm). Not going particularly fast, but the corner had a -ve camber. The front wheel, just went. Even now when I take that corner, I slow right down. Hoping that a studded tyre will just take the threshold a little higher and keep me up right on that bend and I don't fracture my pelvis again.

@Ridgeway have you ridden on actual ice? With or without studs?

(I think comparisons with car tyres are problematic, as you can't fall off a car on ice! :P )

No not really, i avoid the stuff:laugh:

The results with cars and ice are usually much worse than bikes with ice trust me:rolleyes:

I'm just not sure that studs are what is required for this application ie 99.99 of a ride on tarmac/gravel or what ever and then 50cm of ice that's 500mic thick, studs from my understanding required them to penetrate the ice to have a real effect, maybe they'd be the right choice i'm just not sure.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Wouldn't using really soft decently grippy tyres be better ?

I used some Schwalbe G-One All-round a few years back, terrible in that there wear out after 1000km but that's because they grip like hell in cold weather as the rubber is so soft, a bit like winters tyres in cars ie no one uses ice tyres unless you're on ice more than you're on tarmac.

Soft rubber compound is what i'd want under me in slippy/icy conditions as surface ice will be so thin that i'm not sure studs will really do much ?

Doesn't work on ice. You will be off in a flash. Studs work, believe you me, having used them since 2010. It takes just a small patch of ice to have you off.

raleighnut

Legendary Member

Never had a problem on ice. :cycle:

Top Bottom