Stuff I have Carried on my Trailer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My Y-frame flatbed trailer is seeing a lot of use recently. If you have never used a trailer on your utility bike you might be amazed at how useful they are. I generally fix a green plastic recycling bin to the flatbed and carry stuff in or on it.
Today I hit the car boot sale looking for a nice ladie's bike for a nice lady, but no luck. I also had a eye out for powerful vacume cleaners, so hit the jackpot with a pink Henry (aka Hetty) the heavy duty ones used by cleaning ladies and builders. It fitted inside my bin and I hauled home with no problems.

Apart from childen and shopping, what have you hauled recently?

Lonestar

Veteran
I saw one outside my workplace with a bike on the trailer...very impressive.

On the flip side I also nearly collided with one on the CS 3 narrow section between Tower Gateway and Shadwell he was coming in the opposite direction and nearly wiped me out.Still there are some loonies on the CS 3.

Yup I've got a Henry,very good.

Last edited:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I haven't got a trailer though I can see how one would be useful. I think I'd be worried about managing it through gates or on and off cycle paths. My spatial awareness isn't great :smile:

OP
OP
M

MichaelW2

Guru
Mine can fit between the bollards on cycle tracks but the gates are PITA. There is one path with metal anti motorbike bars that requires some manhandling of the trailer.

Drago

Legendary Member
"I couldn't give up the car and survive with just a bicycle. How would I get my shopping home?"

barbecue-1024x576.jpg

OP
OP
M

MichaelW2

Guru
Shifted lots of unusual stuff today.
Two broken vacume cleaner taken to the city recycling centre was a breeze. On the way back I picked up a set of crockery from a charity shop (that matches the ones I use at home). To avoid breakage, I set up a rope sling inside the plastic carton on my flatbed, inspired by that classic b/w movie, The Wages of Fear in which some desperate men volunteer to drive barrels of nitroglycerine over the Venezuelan Andes to a burning oil rig. I can confirm that rope slings absorb shock very well and I was able to transport the load safely with no explosions..
Later I shifted a large plank of wood, 30 x 300x3000 mm. To heavy and unbalanced to ride but I wheeled it along.

"I couldn't give up the car and survive with just a bicycle. How would I get my shopping home?"

View attachment 380855

I get this all the time. Recently we were grocery shopping and an acquaintance with a car offered to "carry your shopping home". She was absolutely convinced it wouldn't all fit in our Bakfiets. We did though, quite easily.

I've also found that when I leave the shops at the same time as neighbours with cars I routinely get back long before they do.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member

View attachment 380855
I've pulled that stunt before, but just for a couple of blocks. This year, I bought a new grill. Much easier to bring home, as I pretty much had to build it from bits. Even the burners had to be fitted, as were the gas lines. But it was also better than most, and powder coated. Char-broils are good grills

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Shifted lots of unusual stuff today.
Two broken vacume cleaner taken to the city recycling centre was a breeze. On the way back I picked up a set of crockery from a charity shop (that matches the ones I use at home). To avoid breakage, I set up a rope sling inside the plastic carton on my flatbed, inspired by that classic b/w movie, The Wages of Fear in which some desperate men volunteer to drive barrels of nitroglycerine over the Venezuelan Andes to a burning oil rig. I can confirm that rope slings absorb shock very well and I was able to transport the load safely with no explosions..
Later I shifted a large plank of wood, 30 x 300x3000 mm. To heavy and unbalanced to ride but I wheeled it along.
I'd have strapped the timber to my top tube crossbar in fact I have done but in my case it was a 3.4 metre handrail for the stairs.

Top Bottom