Stuff the EU regulation handlebar bell.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The scene:
I'm on a single track quiet country lane, approaching two pedestrians from behind who are walking side
by side in the centre of this 2.5 meter wide road ... but with a meter gap between. (Common round my way).
I 'm aiming for the gap between them as it is the wider option.
I ping my EU regulation handlebar bell but they're too busy yakking to hear it.
I ping it again, getting closer, this time they both turn around to look, both in the same direction, both
making that "gap" in between them disappear!! Brakes on!!

So i chucked the bell.

I want to sound like a car ... so i fitted a car horn and tiny 15 volt lithium battery pack.
After 2 weeks the pedestrians were out.
The horn was used ... it worked ... pedestrians didn't bother looking, they just instinctively moved to the
edge of the road.
I suspect anything not sounding like a car (airzound, squeezy horn, etc) would invoke the usual
curious "look round to see whats coming because that isn't a car" response rather than a "oh there's a car coming, i'd better move" instinctive response.

Has anyone else tried a car-horn on the bike?

400bhp

Guru
1. So i chucked the bell.

2. Has anyone else tried a car-horn on the bike?

1. Well done.

2. No, that's ridiculous.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Slowing down to 5mph, a gentle "excuse me", work like a treat!
Anyway, I've got Big Ben on my bike :laugh:

bell.jpg

I am an advocate of the traditional bell.

I read comments by other posters that they find it rude or that it comes across as strident or ineffectual or both...

But I like it.

Most of the bicycles in my family have a bell on the handlebar. Among them (from when the children were younger) is a Thunderbirds one.

When I read of someone advocating the use of an Airzound, there seems sometimes to be a tace of seething fury in their reasoning.

The bicycle bell is a marvel of sound engineering: Small, light, audible, understood, easy to use.

It combines well with the voice.

When I was a teen (early 80s) my then sweetie-pie was a cycle courier for a firm in Mayfair. The de rigeur gear for that career path was a plastic referee's whistle on a cord round the neck. That didn't do it for me... Shrill, self-important, hard to modulate and bad for the teeth in the event of an unplanned dismount.

There is nothing better than a bicycle bell, although the crazy numbers of electronic devices now clamped to handlebars do take up some of that valuable bell space.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I find that changing gear helps, they look round to see where that click has come from.

I do that sometimes too. Failing that or a polite ding on the bell, just a freindly hello, or even get off and have a chinwag them, rather than barging through. We should be glad that there are still some quiet roads left where people feel safe to dawdle and chat.

Luddite Joe

Über Member
When I was a teen (early 80s) my then sweetie-pie was a cycle courier for a firm in Mayfair. The de rigeur gear for that career path was a plastic referee's whistle on a cord round the neck. That didn't do it for me... Shrill, self-important, hard to modulate and bad for the teeth in the event of an unplanned dismount.

Wow, she sounds like quite a girl. No wonder you didn't stay together !

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I do that sometimes too. Failing that or a polite ding on the bell, just a freindly hello, or even get off and have a chinwag them, rather than barging through. We should be glad that there are still some quiet roads left where people feel safe to dawdle and chat.

Indeed, if a pedestrian apologises when stepping out of my way I always say 'no need to apologise' and if time say 'thank you for moving, but you have priority'. I made a young mum blush saying something similar yesterday, but she might have caused by the gale blowing up my shorts.

Top Bottom