Stupid comments by companies.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lozz360

Veteran
Ahh but what about vegan cheese which doesn’t contain milk!
But vegan “cheese” is not allowed to call itself cheese. It’s marketed as “cheese alternative” or “cheddar flavoured”. So a label on cheese that states “contains milk” can only be of benefit to rather stupid vegans.

I remember an advert for a dating site a few years back. Uniform dating for people who wear a uniform but you can sign up even if you don't, or something to that effect.
So basically everyone, just remember thinking it was stupid.

I once rang my home insurance company to claim for an accidental television drop while decorating to be told I wasn't covered for accidental damage. I told them in that case I'd done it on purpose which flustered the call handler somewhat and eventually agreed the logic was silly. Never got a claim though 😂
I think the uniform dating site was about uniformed workers getting a bit of action with people who had a uniform fetish nothing to do with needing to be in uniform for both parties.

I remember years ago reading in a at the time quality newspaper about a certain uniform fetish from Japan. Apparently the Japanese national airline was very strict about their uniforms. If you left they sent security to collect it. They sold for £30,000 in the 90s and that's for good replicas!

I can't see what people get out of them personally but each to their own.

Lozz360

Veteran
Drinks for mugs/cups for tea & coffee at well known venues .Warning; contents maybe hot .:wacko::banghead:
I believe this is as a result of a woman in the US who successfully sued McDonalds after scalding herself because the company didn’t provide adequate warning that the coffee was hot. Sounds bonkers, but I know in Florida, at least, drinking iced tea and iced coffee is a thing so maybe she did have a point? Agreed it’s an unnecessary warning in the UK, though.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I believe this is as a result of a woman in the US who successfully sued McDonalds after scalding herself because the company didn’t provide adequate warning that the coffee was hot. Sounds bonkers, but I know in Florida, at least, drinking iced tea and iced coffee is a thing so maybe she did have a point? Agreed it’s an unnecessary warning in the UK, though.
I think this is what McDonalds would like you to believe, that there was a genuine issue, and if it happened again, the customer would still be entitled to sue McDonalds and win even though there is a warning on the cup.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
There was a story about winnebagos too I remember.

"With cruise control your new camper will practically drive itself"

Apparently a guy set it, went in the back to make a drink and sued when it crashed, never sure how much of a wives tale it was but amusing nonetheless

Seevio

Guru
The warning does indeed seem to be as a result of the Liebeck v Macdonalds case. Rather than address the complaint, Macdonalds chose to add the warning to avoid litigation. The case isn't as frivolous as Macdonalds would like you to believe though. More info...

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
That’s correct, I should have stated that. Still a pretty silly company name if you’re competing in international markets with its negative connotations.
maybe they not competing internationally, i mean it is america....would they import someone else's salad cream?? not sure ( i like salad cream)

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It’s very much an international product. An American company, made in UAE and available down here in West Africa.
Probably not so negative down here as US products tend to be revered.

vickster

Legendary Member
Cadburys put that warning on their Whole Nut and Fruit and Nut bars.
But doesn’t the former contain hazelnuts and the latter almonds, so it’s not so daft to warn about (traces) of peanuts?
Now if it were a picnic or peanut M&Ms, that would be different

Top Bottom