Stupid Phrases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm living the dream.
Suppose it's not a dream.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Oh, and off topic a bit, but worthy of mention. When some mind of major disaster occurs have you noticed how the media list rhe casualties in order of importance?

"Among the dead are 5 Britons, 2 Americans, and 34 others. And a frenchman."
I’ve noticed that too, Drago, except over here it reads…
"Among the dead are 5 Americans, 2 Britons, and 34 others. And a frenchman."

How about this, when someone starts a sentence with, “Honestly, (blah blah blah…) I gather this is in contrast to when they are usually just LIEING? :wacko:

classic33

Leg End Member
A weapon is only lethal after the fact. An assault rifle cannot be described as lethal if it never kills anyone and a pencil cannot be described as non-lethal if you have just gone all John Wick on someone.
And poison pens, used to write those letters?

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Ooh, that's a good one, as if those two short words negate any further conversation, or render the speaker to be inviobly (new word (c) Drago enterprises 2021) correct.

We done to @JoeyB cos I hate "reach out". No no no! We speak to, telephone, write to, email, but only reach out to render assistance when they are drowning.
Being a Yank, Drago, JoeyB, I have to say, that here “reach out to me” or similar is so common that none of us would give that one a second thought. It could be an age thing too. When I was younger, growing up in NYC, we would also say “give me a buzz” to mean “give me a call” that could sound odd to so easy well.

I used to live in Oklahoma, 1,600 miles from the East Coast where I currently in the state of Maryland. Having worked for a while in Washington DC, I can tell you that saying “and and and” before blathering on to say something else (seems to me like an attempt on someone's part to reserve the spot to provide the next comment in a supposed two-way conversation) is very much a Washington, DC “thing.” I can't stand hearing that either. It drives me nuts. :wacko: But hey, the study of language, colloquialisms and slang is certainly interesting. :okay:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I 'COULD' care less...

Sorry American friends but that is a stupid one when you think about it. It implies that you do care somewhat...

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
I 'COULD' care less...

Sorry American friends but that is a stupid one when you think about it. It implies that you do care somewhat...
Dave, I believe those that say “I 'COULD' care less” just don't get it, or are simply repeating something already wrong… I feel bad for people who say things like that, it makes them sound backward. :blush: Surely Brits have common expressions that some pronounce wrong too, right? Anyone have any examples? Sometimes they can even give you a chuckle.

Good one though, Dave! :okay: Agreed, it doesn't even make sense, which is what makes it sound so stupid!

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
What about a taser? Could be described as a weapon which is non-lethal.
Fire it at someone love plums and the pain alone could be sufficient to bring about cardiac arrest.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Being a Yank, Drago, JoeyB, I have to say, that here “reach out to me” or similar is so common that none of us would give that one a second thought. It could be an age thing too. When I was younger, growing up in NYC, we would also say “give me a buzz” to mean “give me a call” that could sound odd to so easy well.

I used to live in Oklahoma, 1,600 miles from the East Coast where I currently in the state of Maryland. Having worked for a while in Washington DC, I can tell you that saying “and and and” before blathering on to say something else (seems to me like an attempt on someone's part to reserve the spot to provide the next comment in a supposed two-way conversation) is very much a Washington, DC “thing.” I can't stand hearing that either. It drives me nuts. :wacko: But hey, the study of language, colloquialisms and slang is certainly interesting. :okay:

Standard response round here is that you're only allowed to "Reach Out" if you're a currently serving member of The Four Tops..

Top Bottom