Stupid question about how to remove a rear cassette.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brand X

Can anyone tell me if I'm using the wrong tool or something? I'm using a "freewheel tool" but I'm not sure if it's the same thing as a lockring tool. It slots into the cassette very nicely, but the cassette locks in both direction without the chainwhip and won't budge.

Am I doing this all wrong? I'm wondering if the cassette unscrews.
The tool is a "Bikehut Freewheel Tool"

edit* The bike is a Giant Expression LX (2012).

Last edited:

jim55

Guru
Pics?

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Two different things. A freewheel is a one piece unit that unscrews as a complete unit from the hub. A cassette is held in place with a lock ring and then slides off the hub.
If your bicycle is a fairly recent model it is almost certainly a cassette rather than a freewheel.
Either way the tool needs to be turned anti-clockwise and often needs considerable force (for force read leverage)
A long piece of pipe over the handle of the tool is often suggested - or trapping the tool firmly in a vice and turning the whole wheel. I use a 3 foot breaker bar and socket and never have any problems.

OP
OP
Brand X

Brand X

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg
IMG_0094.jpg

jim55

Guru
That looks like an old style screw on freewheel,is it 7 spd ??just get a bigger lever and screw it off , it's looks as if it's been on for yrs and will mega tight as above ditch chan whip and just use tool and a big spanner ( with prob along pole over it

OP
OP
Brand X

Brand X

Thanks Jim and Simon, it's a 21-speed bike so I guess that would be 3 x 7? I get out there and give it another bash - literally. :-)

OP
OP
Brand X

Brand X

I'll have to give this up as a bad job, it just ain't going to come off and I've broken two more spokes. My £60 bargain-bike is starting to nibble on my wallet; £10 for a chain whip, £3 for a spoke tool, £5 for brake blocks. Not the end of the World but I'm not likely to use those tools again. I shall have to find a cheap wheel to replace it.

OP
OP
Brand X

Brand X

Your local bike shop(lbs ) will have that off in a flash and fit a new spoke and true it ,why are u removing it anyway
There was a broken spoke, and the only way to get the new one in was to take the cassette off. It's not worth taking it to a bike shop, Bicycle Chain will charge about £35 and Halfords.. well, you know, it's Halfords. Can you tell me if this wheel would fit? I'm not sure if it's schrader or presta (I've got presta tubes) but it's a 700c with 7 gears. http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Tru-Build-S...48oWQsdgBrzpIBVxZMpHtESow7WHnt2w2hoCWV_w_wcB#

jim55

Guru
I'd honestly wager it'll b 20 quid tops in a good local bike shop do not go to Halfords ,I'd rather repair it than buy a cheap wheel that's prob rubbish at least if u get ur own fixed from lbs u know it's gona fit and run true

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
£10 for a chain whip, £3 for a spoke tool, £5 for brake blocks. Not the end of the World but I'm not likely to use those tools again. I shall have to find a cheap wheel to replace it.
Your next bike will have a cassette, so keep the chain whip.
You will learn yo true a wheel, so keep the spoke key.
I had your same problem with an old 5 speed freewheel, took it to Halfords because I don't drive and H, was the nearest shop: a strong guy had to come out the back room, he even found it hard, eventually he used a vice.
They did not want paid, so I gave them a fiver for their trouble.

Ajax Bay

Guru
A clean freewheel comes off more easily than a dirty one. ^_^ How did the spokes break while you were trying to take it off? It may be that the spokes have started to reach their fatigue life. In which case more to go in due course. Lightly grease the the freewheel before screwing it back on, when the wheel has been repaired.

Top Bottom