Summer and winter bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trigger369

Über Member
Another new bike question here .
After spending a fortune on my new full carbon bike and wanting to keep it in tip top condition . How do you all treat your good bikes ? Do you go out in shitty weather with them even if its summer or just keep them for dry summer days ? When do you retire the summer bike and take out the winter bike?
Some will say it's just a bike but I want to look after it if you get me . Thanks

Slick

Guru
Most people treat summer and winter bikes as a nonsense. I keep my good carbon bike for the nice weather and a selection for winter depending on exact conditions. Winter is harsh on a bikes components as I've recently found out after having to completely overhaul 2 of them. I could be accused of neglect I suppose but I cleaned and lubed them after every ride but they still sit at work for 9 hours before riding it home again with salt eating fragile components. Others will tell you that they ride the same bike for 20 years with no trouble but not during a typically Scottish winter they haven't. I've even got winter wheels now. :okay:

It cost me a fortune in chains, cassettes, wheels etc when I used my CF Summer bike through the winter. Despite cleaning the bike after everyride, the rims wore out very quickly.
I now have an aluminium fraed winter bike, with a lower grade groupset, and even cheaper chain and cassette. It also runs disc brakes and mudguards. I have also fitted carbon wheels to the summer bike, I would not want to use them in wet conditions, so the winter bike is used all year round when there is any chance of the roads being wet.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I do run summer and winter bikes; 'summer' commuter runs March-November, 'winter' one runs November-March. It's got wider tyres, etc.

I tend to use the winter bike for everything whereas in the summer I'll run my summer commuter and best bike.

OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
Living in northern Ireland somtimes we get four seasons in one day here so unless the forecast says full sun and no rain ile think twice about taking the good bike out now .

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
If you keep on top of cleaning, especially in winter, no problem riding the best bike all year round
My bikes are kept reasonably clean.
Still, in 8 winters of commuting, I've fubared 4 wheels and a whole steel town bike this one rusted to death.
I have been accused of bike neglect by a mechanic, apparently one needs to grease the hubs from time to time :whistle:
And yet, my bikes are kept indoors at home, in a covered shelter at work: I think once water is in, the damage is done.
Doesn't matter the price of the bike, the hubs of my £800 bike went kaputt exactly the same as the hubs of my £140 bike roughly at the same milage.
I don't do winter or summer bikes, one could set out on a beautiful sunny day, still get a soaking later.
I have decided that life is too short worrying about bikes getting wet, I'll just carry on buying new wheels for medium priced bikes ^_^

I have a white one for the summer and a black one for the winter.

Slick

Guru
My bikes are kept reasonably clean.
Still, in 8 winters of commuting, I've fubared 4 wheels and a whole steel town bike this one rusted to death.
I have been accused of bike neglect by a mechanic, apparently one needs to grease the hubs from time to time :whistle:
And yet, my bikes are kept indoors at home, in a covered shelter at work: I think once water is in, the damage is done.
Doesn't matter the price of the bike, the hubs of my £800 bike went kaputt exactly the same as the hubs of my £140 bike roughly at the same milage.
I don't do winter or summer bikes, one could set out on a beautiful sunny day, still get a soaking later.
I have decided that life is too short worrying about bikes getting wet, I'll just carry on buying new wheels for medium priced bikes ^_^
I must admit, I have had the same thoughts, as your only ever one good service away from your bike running great again. It's always this time of year I promise myself that I won't do another winter commute in salt season and invest in some sort of smart trainer or just go to the gym in winter. I think we all know that's not happening. :shy:

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I'll quite happily use my "summer" bike in winter if it's a reasonably dry day, but then only if I can ensure it's properly cleaned immediately afterward.
Salt is an absolute killer fit drive train components, and I can't afford to keep replacing ultegra kit every year.

The "winter" bike is used for commuting during the salt season, and as its a gravel bike, for cyclocross and general off road dicking about the rest of the year. Its got a more affordable groupset, disk brakes and is generally less loved.

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't use my carbon bike in winter as it doesn't have mudguards or a rack (I don't really use it much in summer either though :laugh: ). I'll happily use the Steel, Alu or Ti though as they do (although if it's wet/mucky I tend to take a bike that also has fatter tyres and disc brakes). Frankly, don't like getting muck all over me (not so bothered about the bikes)!

Top Bottom