Summer of '76

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
I was five, but remember asking my Mum why she drank cups of tea when it was so hot.

I also remember sitting out on the lawn in scorching sun, and then suddenly a masive thunderstorm blew up from nowhere...

Blue

Legendary Member
I'm pretty sure '76 was the year I went to see Pink Floyd at Knebworth. However, I may have the wrong year as the summer I saw the Floyd was a bit of a purple haze, if you get my drift :evil:

Noodley

Also repeated at 00.10 on ITV3.

I'm staying up, just to remind myself there was a time before Thatcher...:evil::tongue:

domtyler

Über Member
I was only four, I can remember driving past the maternity hospital in Yeovil in the car with my dad and him pointing up at the window and showing me the room where my mum was giving birth to my new brother.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
domtyler said:
I was only four, I can remember driving past the maternity hospital in Yeovil in the car with my dad and him pointing up at the window and showing me the room where my mum was giving birth to my new brother.
Shouldn't he have been pacing up and down the hospital corridor, wearing a mac, trilby and smoking a fag, while comiserating with the other fellas there? :wacko:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i missed it. we lived down under until returning to the uk in november '76, so i got two winters instead :wacko:

Summer of '76 ? Pregnant wife complaining suffering all summer because of the heat, daughter born in October. Otherwise, long & hot with several caravan breaks while we could. Arrived at Blair Atholl site on Wimbledon finals day to caravan left behind by parents, beer already cold in the fridge, no pitching or awning assembly needed.

domtyler

Über Member
John Ponting said:
Summer of '76 ? Pregnant wife complaining suffering all summer because of the heat, daughter born in October. Otherwise, long & hot with several caravan breaks while we could. Arrived at Blair Atholl site on Wimbledon finals day to caravan left behind by parents, beer already cold in the fridge, no pitching or awning assembly needed.

Quality! What would you give to be back there right now? :biggrin:

And can I come too Uncle John? :evil:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I was 18 in 1976 and I remember various women that I met that year with fond affection, they taught me a lot about life and things. I boiled at work during the long hot summer and discovered the delights of real ale. It was a good year.:biggrin:

snorri

Legendary Member
I have no recollection of the summer of 1976.:biggrin:
Looking back at a work diary I see I spent a lot of time away from home so probably holidayed at home as a pleasant change from lodgings.

Top Bottom