Summer of '76

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was 12 years old and certainly remember the "horror" stories on the news about empty reservoirs etc.

Enjoyed a fantastic 2 weeks family summer holiday on the South Coast, many hours spent on Studland Beach, at the end of each day trying not to let our sun scorched backs & legs (didn't use sun lotion much in those days) touch the plastic seats in my dads Morris Marina as we drove back from the beach....long, long time ago now:ohmy:

Alan Biles

Hot? It's damn hot!

I was 25 and working in Dubai. I remember flying in to Heathrow in late June and looking down on the brown countryside. Golf courses really stood out as the greens were the only bit of greenery to be seen. It was hot, but not as hot as Dubai had been so I was able to remain composed in the chaos of Terminal 3 and managed to get an upgrade to 1st class on a BA 747 to New York. ( I was going there for the US bi-Centennial celebrations). Pretty good going as I was travelling on a sub-load ticket for £43:thumbsup:

By the time I passed through Heathrow on my way back to Dubai, the UK had had some rain and 'greened up' a bit.

Great summer all the same. Happy days.

I was 7 and remember it was a brilliant summer - even on Arran. I remember we had a family gathering for my mum's 30th birthday and everybody was outside as the weather was so good. My granpa sat on a piece of chocolate which left an unfortunate brown stain on the seat of his trousers. There are still photos of him standing in his underpants and vest trying to clean the chocolate off his trousers:smile::eek: Happy days!!!

O levels too. Then we had GCSEs as well and as I was not supposed to pass the O levels I did both so sat endless exams in the heat of our nice new school with great big windows and no blinds. Used to take them just wearing shorts (but it was a bit distracting with the girls)

Saw a programme on 1976 a couple of nights ago. They said it was a heatwave until August bank holiday: when it poured with rain!

On Nationwide they showed someone trying to fry an egg on the pavement.

I think I spent most of the summer looking at FS1E mopeds as I wanted one so much.

Left school (I was still just 15 as July birthday) and got a job in a bank which was a real bore. Still dont know what I want to do when I grow up now.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I was 9 and my main memories are the lady-birds, brown grass and fires. Every year we would go to the New Forest with a group of friends and have a BBQ/picnic and that year I remember whole areas black, and I think no BBQ just the picnic.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think he meant CSE's ...

I was 5 then too.
I remember the standpipes, but mostly remember a scorching family holiday to Devon. We stayed in a cottage near Exmouth for a week, and we drove all the way down there in our maroon Austin Maxi. On holiday I also went horse riding for the first time...and that's about all I can remember - if it wasn't for the photos I prob couldn't remember anything.

Rhythm Thief said:
I hate to be picky, but surely GCSEs didn't come in until around 1987? I was in the first year to take them.:blush:

Yes you are right (brain going in my old age and I didn't say I passed them)

It was CSEs and GCEs back then. I did not do much work at school so teachers chose CSEs mostly for me. I didn't think I was as daft as they thought and wanted to sit GCEs so got my mum to pay for second exams in about six subjects. I can remember doing two exams a day quite often.

For some reason my mum made me eggs on toast for breakfast on an exam day. Remember feeling a bit icky all morning in the hot exam room as a result.

Top Bottom