Super wheel converts rider's weight into forward movement!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru

"You can ride up to 15 miles per hour for unlimited mileage in ‘self-charging mode"

This bit is impossible if they're saying you can be assisted continuously forever. On a flat road the bike can only expend it's battery and any brake regen would be dependent on how many times you had to stop. So at this point you are putting effort into the system to re-charge the battery and propel yourself forward.

Would be interesting just to use one, but they seem to be stringing the truth out.

Any time the bike is charging the battery other than harvesting braking effort then it has to be coming from the rider.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
It is a Crowdfunding video. Anyone got money to invest/waste* ?

* delete as appropriate

Damn, I've just invested in a Magic Bean Farm, but I'd certainly have punted on this 😊

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Some folk will buy ought
Lets say it does actually give you a miniscule amount of energy back, does it actually generate enough force to overcome the wheel that looks like it weighs about what 7-8 kg ? and does the rebound spring effect even happen if it even exist i reckon as the wheel is in constant motion the spring would never catch up

figbat

Slippery scientist
It is supposedly 30% more efficient, but this requires there to be at least 30% energy wastage to regain. A regular wheel is nowhere near that inefficient - the only inefficiencies I can think of are bearings, tyres and aero and this new wheel has all of those.

There is also a flawed statement about converting the ‘downward motion’ of someone’s weight… after you get on there is a single downward motion as the springs settle to their sag level, then the whole thing equilibrates - no further ‘downward motion’ to convert into anything.

I often wonder if the ‘inventors’ really believe their story, or if they are genuine fraudsters.

They're over complicating things. All it needs is a smaller wheel on the front so the rider is constantly going down hill. :okay:

Twilkes

Guru
There is also a flawed statement about converting the ‘downward motion’ of someone’s weight… after you get on there is a single downward motion as the springs settle to their sag level, then the whole thing equilibrates - no further ‘downward motion’ to convert into anything.

But your body is constantly being pulled into the ground, that's what puts tension on the top spoke when you sit on your saddle. As that spoke rotates with the wheel some of that tension is released until it's at minimum tension at the bottom, I assume it's that effect they're trying to harness, turning the 'free energy' of gravity into forward motion. Like if you sit on a spring it will compress, and if you tilt the spring forward it will eventually push you forwards slightly more than if you had tilted a static platform.

Whether that effect exists in significant enough quantities to make this wheel worthwhile, probably not, very unlikely to be 30%, and the look of their efficiency report didn't fill me with confidence. :smile:

Top Bottom