Surgeons and helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
:popcorn:

Paco de Bango

If you can't be bothered to read the link, heres a summary:

Argument 1: In my department we all wear cycling helmets when cycling – we can’t all be mad!
Argument 2: By reducing cycle use even slightly, helmet laws or promotion campaigns are likely to cause a significant net disbenefit to public health, regardless of the effectiveness or otherwise of helmets.

classic33

Leg End Member
Helmets have been shown to have no beneficial effect after initial impact has been made. They are incable of preventing the brain from "bouncing around" inside the skull. something that can cause greater damage than the initial impact itself. Helmet or no helmet.

RedRider

Pulling through
I was at the conference where the BMA passed its pro-helmet policy, 2005-ish. The debate was minimal with a reflexive vote in favour. The GP who spoke against was a keen cyclist but I got the impression noone was really listening to him.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
2345250 said:
Ok, I'll go for it. Where does the third one go?
Ground troops flying in Hueys during the Vietnam war were rumoured to remove the tin hats from their heads and place it under the seats to protect a bit of the body that was more important than their brains. They feared "The Wound".

I have a rucksac. I'll decide where the third helmet goes on a flexible daily basis.

Davidc

Guru
Cycle helmets are very effective.

It's well proven.

..............................At making profits for cycle helmet manufacturers.

Apart from that they're totally useless for anything other than keeping heads warm in cool weather.

However - I wouldn't wish to stop anyone who wishes to wear one from doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom