Surgeons and helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G3CWI

Veteran
Apart from that they're totally useless for anything other than keeping heads warm in cool weather.

However - I wouldn't wish to stop anyone who wishes to wear one from doing so.

Thanks. Last week I came off my bike falling very heavily. My head smashed into the road with sufficient force to split the helmet right through. While I needed an ambulance due to my other injuries my head was not hurt at all. I will continue wearing my (new) helmet.

Davidc

Guru
[QUOTE 2346536, member: 45"]Well, it's been a while.....[/quote]
Several weeks, needs a good stirring up again.
CC just has to have a helmet thread going at all times or it'll wither and wilt...

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
My 6yr old son came off his bike once, was showing me how fast he could go,
he was wearing fingerless cycling gloves and his helmet
He didn't hit the ground hard but still slid 5 foot across the concrete face down,
he had a graze on his nose and two fingers whilst his helmet had a huge flat spot on it
(stop sniggering at the back:giggle: )
Helmets may be useless at some things but in this case it held his face off the ground and I was glad he was wearing it.
just my honest opinion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Who listens to surgeons?

If Bono started advocating bare-headed cycling then I'd definitely start wearing a helmet.
One more time....Viz hits gold...
sting bono Viz.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Thanks. Last week I came off my bike falling very heavily. My head smashed into the road with sufficient force to split the helmet right through. While I needed an ambulance due to my other injuries my head was not hurt at all. I will continue wearing my (new) helmet.
A friend came round today. He had fallen off his bike this morning and smacked his head and virtually every other part of his body against the road. His helmet was split through but the top of his head was not hurt at all, whereas his face was swollen, scraped, cut and bruised. Clearly, bicycle helmets do not give enough protection and we should all be wearing full-face motorcycle-style helmets whenever we venture out on our bikes!

Only kidding - wear what you like! :thumbsup:

I am surprised that my friend was wearing a helmet because he normally doesn't wear one on road rides. I suspect that he is rather pleased that he wore it this morning though.

He said this was the first time that he didn't have a chance to react to a developing crash. Every other time he has managed to defend his head to one extent or another, but he went down so fast today that his hands didn't even leave the bars.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I wouldn't like my bare head rubbed against the Tarmac if nothing else it is going to help keep my scalp where It should be.
i trust you adopt the same policy as a pedestrian :thumbsup:

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
About 3 years ago I was wearing a helmet when a car pulled out in front of me causing me to go over my handlebars. I was probably going about 20 mph and my knees were the first thing to hit the road followed by my head. I didn't sustain any serious head injury (apart from a grazed nose and chin) and had a bit of a head ache for the rest of the day (possibly mild concussion). My knees however were a mess and took 3 months to heal. I still have some pain in the right one but not enough to stop me getting on with riding a bike and going for long walking holidays. When my knees healed and I got back on my bike I bought a new helmet and wear it all the time commuting to work and home again.

I more or less recounted all of the above in a previous thread about helmets when I joined last August. I never said that I thought that everyone should be forced to wear one. I merely put forward my opinion that I thought that wearing one in my case probably saved me from sustaining a more serious head injury. I was then accused by some of "ranting" shoving my opinions down people's throats and claiming that my helmet "saved my life". I then realised that this is one the many subjects that really polarise some people on these forums, something I find quite bizarre.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
[QUOTE 2348545, member: 45"]Me too. But then I came back to life.[/quote]
User, you are living proof that helmets are even more effective than most people realise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom