Sutton Bank

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gazza_d

Sutton bank isn't the steepest or toughest climb in that part of the world. It's a fairly constant grade apart from the inside of the hairpin. Although the climb itself starts after Sutton under Whitestone Cliff, the A road drags uphill the way from Thursday.

Long time since I rode it, but what it awful was the nose to tail traffic each way and the resultant fumes.

If you fancy tackling it, then pick a quiet time. There are quieter alternatives though if part of a tour. Look at white horse bank from Kilburn or Sneck Yet bank from Boltby, both excellent challenging climbs

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Too much traffic on Sutton Bank for a comfortable climb, IMHO, if you want a challenge try White Horse Bank much quieter.

https://cyclinguphill.com/100-climbs/white-horse-bank/

I was going to post the same - it's a busy and fairly narrow road with a fair number of trucks heading up and down, so while it is rideable (if you really want to) it's not pleasant.
There are lots of other climbs in the area that are far nicer to ride if you want to challenge yourself.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Sit back, & spin your 2nd to lowest sprocket, leaving a bail-out

It's not the worst around there, as there's a lane that skirts the back of the White Horse (leaves Kilburn village) & passes the Gliding Club

I've planned a route that goes over that way & I've opted to avoid Sutton Bank, don't fancy the thought of impatient motorists being held up behind me, I'm looking at the 'White Horse' climb &/or Boltby Bank, hopefully both quieter roads, but maybe more difficult?

When I'm climbing & my speed drops below 4mph I always think it would be easier & quicker to walk, & on occasions I have done so :blush:

I always fancied climbing up Garrowby Hill on the bike, but was put off y the volume of traffic that uses the A64, however last year, I took a chance when I went to watch the TDY, had a cafe stop at Stamford Bridge & hoped the traffic would be quiet that day & it was, quite a long slog up the climb, but don't think its in the same league as Sutton Bank :okay:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Sutton bank isn't the steepest or toughest climb in that part of the world. It's a fairly constant grade apart from the inside of the hairpin. Although the climb itself starts after Sutton under Whitestone Cliff, the A road drags uphill the way from Thursday.

Long time since I rode it, but what it awful was the nose to tail traffic each way and the resultant fumes.

If you fancy tackling it, then pick a quiet time. There are quieter alternatives though if part of a tour. Look at white horse bank from Kilburn or Sneck Yet bank from Boltby, both excellent challenging climbs

Thirsk?
:laugh:

(I detect autocorrect!)

I've never cycled up it, but I've driven up it lots of times, and I wouldn't like to be struggling up there with the traffic it gets, esp. lorries grinding their own gears to get up it.

midlife

Guru
Climbed it 40 years ago, I guess there was less traffic then :smile: .Aside from a steep right handed turn all I can remember is the grind.......

It has a different name, if zoomed in, on OS maps

Low Town Bank Road, is the 'zig-zag' road

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2756253

Tight Git

Veteran
I live in Boltby and agree that Sneck Yate (Boltby) bank is a much harder climb than Sutton bank. White Horse bank out of Kilburn is very similar to Sutton bank but has less traffic. The best time to climb Sutton bank is when they close it in September for maintenance, just have to wait for the workmen to go home in the evening!

As said above it's all down to the gearing on the bike (and a bit of fitness too )

Venod

Eh up
Many years ago, I rode Mortimer Road ('Strines') in entirety, from Woodhead, to Penistone, with a 42 x 21 bottom gear
I'd not attempt it now, but I was younger (& stupid)

42 x 24 for me, it was a regular FRC ride to Casleton, I have done it recently with 34 x 30 as a bottom gear and still found it hard.

Julia9054

Guru
Sutton Bank, Tour de Yorkshire 2016. I am in the bottom left hand corner with my hood up and a pink rucksack on being short. I would never in a million years be able to cycle up it!
IMG_2326.JPG

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Sutton bank is a hell of a climb, your bike has to up for it never mind you. I would attempt it on a hybrid or mountain bike but on a road bike I wouldn't even try unless it has Hg and even then i think the average cyclist will struggle.
A road bike will be quicker every time because it is lighter, assuming you have low enough gearing. I don't know where HG comes into it.

Top Bottom