Sutton Bank

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
42 x 24 for me, it was a regular FRC ride to Casleton, I have done it recently with 34 x 30 as a bottom gear and still found it hard.
The last time I tried it was on the 'blue' Ribble, with a 34 x 25 & that was hard enough, but I diverted west to Langsett, not straight to Penistone

Not tried it on the CGR yet, with a 34 x 28 (but heavier than the 'blue')

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sutton Bank, Tour de Yorkshire 2016. I am in the bottom left hand corner with my hood up and a pink rucksack on being short. I would never in a million years be able to cycle up it!
View attachment 395875
I'm sure you could, with the right low gears - I'm confident that I could cycle up it and I remember seeing you disappearing off up a hill in front of me on last year's Scarborough forum ride!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I did Boltby two or three years ago.

Fairly horrid, even on an ebike, although there was very little motor traffic.

It was part of a Yorkshire abbeys ride which I did with a mate.

Seriously up and down for most of it - we managed an elapsed time average of about 6mph.

In our defence, my mate's Garmin wasn't set to to auto pause, and we did have a longish bait stop at Rievaulx.

The ride was about 38 miles - plenty with all the climbing.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The last time I tried it was on the 'blue' Ribble, with a 34 x 25 & that was hard enough, but I diverted west to Langsett, not straight to Penistone

Not tried it on the CGR yet, with a 34 x 28 (but heavier than the 'blue')
From Woodhead the climbs aren't too bad though are they? Coming the other way you have Deliverance. Now getting up that on your 42-21, that would be worth seeing.
I can manage it on 36-28 but it isn't very pretty

ColinJ

From Woodhead the climbs aren't too bad though are they? Coming the other way you have Deliverance. Now getting up that on your 42-21, that would be worth seeing.
I was thinking that.

The first time I tried riding in the opposite direction, I had to dismount and walk my bike up. Unfortunately, the Look cleats on my shoes were sliding all over the place. I ended up carrying my shoes in one hand and pushing the bike with the other! I suffered the ignominy of a family driving slowly past me with the kids hanging out of the car's windows to laugh at me ... :blush:

I have successfully ridden up it since then, but I used a luxuriously low 26-28 gear.

swansonj

Guru
A road bike will be quicker every time because it is lighter, assuming you have low enough gearing. I don't know where HG comes into it.

The most important factor by far for suitability for climbing hills is how low the gear ratio is. The weight is also a factor, but a much more minor one.

If the lowest gear is the same, there's not much in it as to whether a mountain bike (fatter tyres, front and possibly rear suspension, straight bars, stronger frame) or a "road bike" ( thinner tyres, lighter frame, drop bars) would be better - probably the road bike would actually be better because it's lighter and the tyres produce less resistance.

BUT: the lowest gear is unlikely to be the same. Mountain bikes are designed for going up, err, mountains, so have low gears. Road bikes are designed for people who fancy themselves as mega fit and eschew low gears, so tend not to have sensibly low gears. Any off the peg road bike will almost certainly not have terribly low gears, which is why a mountain bike would be better for comfortable cycling up hills on roads than a road bike.

You can, of course, have a "road bike" - lightweight frame, low resistance tyres, no suspension, drop bars - with sensibly low gears. It's called a touring bike.

[apologies for edit - I hit "post" by mistake too soon]
[edited again to say, Pale Rider beat me to it, rather more succinctly]
Tldr: yes a road bike with low enough gears is better. But most road bikes don't have low enough gears (if they do, they tend to be called a touring bike...)

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Tldr: yes a road bike with low enough gears is better. But most road bikes don't have low enough gears (if they do, they tend to be called a touring bike...)
With 11 speed freewheels and compact chainsets nearly all modern road bikes have low enough gears to get up all hills, the odd 1-in-3 excepted.

keithmac

Guru
Sit back, & spin your 2nd to lowest sprocket, leaving a bail-out

It's not the worst around there, as there's a lane that skirts the back of the White Horse (leaves Kilburn village) & passes the Gliding Club

A few years ago, I towed a twin-axle caravan up it
Mindst you, that was with a Land Rover 90 (V8)

Lucky there were no Police about!, you'd have it seized as towing Caravans up is prohibited.

Been a few stopped recently.

swansonj

Guru
With 11 speed freewheels and compact chainsets nearly all modern road bikes have low enough gears to get up all hills, the odd 1-in-3 excepted.
You may be ultra fit; you may enjoy pain; you may feel it is important to link cycling with being macho; I wouldn't know one way or the other on any of those counts. But for people who are not especially fit, not into macho, and don't see why a leisure activity should be painful, lower gears would make cycling a lot more attractive and hills a lot less offputting.

How low are you thinking of as "low enough" for everything except 1in 3?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
You may be ultra fit; you may enjoy pain; you may feel it is important to link cycling with being macho; I wouldn't know one way or the other on any of those counts. But for people who are not especially fit, not into macho, and don't see why a leisure activity should be painful, lower gears would make cycling a lot more attractive and hills a lot less offputting.

How low are you thinking of as "low enough" for everything except 1in 3?
It's been over three years since I swapped two wheels for three, but when I'd just turned 60 I got my roadbike up a local 25% on 34x25. Believe me, I am far from race fit and I wasn't then either. It wasn't pretty, but I made it and with the latest Shimano mechs that I believe take a 32t sprocket an averagely fit regular rider could also do it. I would not fancy such a climb on a much heavier fat tyred MTB. On the steeper climbs, weight is everything.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
My hybrid gearing goes as low as 26/32, but it's a sturdy thing and doesn't feel quick going up hill.
My carbon bike makes do with a lowest gear of 36/28 which is definitely hard work on something like Birdsall Brow, despite being a considerably lighter bike. I did it though.

So I'll be interested to see how the new Giant road bike gets on with a 34/32 bottom gear ^_^

Venod

Eh up

I think @Richard A Thackeray may have confused Woodhead (A628) with Snake (A47) Mortimer Road is Strines and he mentions diverting West instead of going straight on to Penistone which if going North would bring you to Langsett as he stated, so I think he will have tackled Deliverance on 42/21 which is no mean feat.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Lucky there were no Police about!, you'd have it seized as towing Caravans up is prohibited.

Been a few stopped recently.
I was out on a ride one summer evening when I came across 2 idiot drivers trying to tow caravans up this local monster ...

Mytholm Steeps - so near but so far.jpg

They took it in turns to hit it at speed from the bottom but only managed to get halfway up (about where my bike is) before their wheels started spinning and belching smoke. It was both scary and very funny to see the terrified drivers then being towed backwards back down the 25% slope by the weight of their caravans!

In order to get to that 25% ramp they would have had to drive up a narrow road and round several very tight bends at 15+% gradient ... :wacko:

(This was long ago so they did not have the modern-day excuse of "My Sat-nav made me do it!" :laugh:)

Top Bottom