Sutton Bank

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Lucky there were no Police about!, you'd have it seized as towing Caravans up is prohibited.

Been a few stopped recently.
Was quite a few years ago, at least 13....

I think @Richard A Thackeray may have confused Woodhead (A628) with Snake (A47) Moscar Road is Strines and he mentions diverting West instead of going straight on to Penistone which if going North would bring you to Langsett as he stated, so I think he will have tackled Deliverance on 42/21 which is no mean feat.

Over from 'Snake' (A57) turning left off the Rivelin bound side, past the Strines Inn
Going over all the descents/ascents, but on that occasion, turning north-west, at the fork
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/122728
Open the Geograph link, to see the accompanying OS map; the north-east fork goes back to cross the A616 (east to Stocksbridge), & continues ascending under the old railway bridge (the line served a quarry, whilst Langsett Reservoir was being built

Granted a 42 x 21 was hard, but just about do-able
Three of us did it as a loop, when the pic was taken, & the silly gearing used

Mortimer Road. 2.jpg

swansonj

Guru
It's been over three years since I swapped two wheels for three, but when I'd just turned 60 I got my roadbike up a local 25% on 34x25. Believe me, I am far from race fit and I wasn't then either. It wasn't pretty, but I made it and with the latest Shimano mechs that I believe take a 32t sprocket an averagely fit regular rider could also do it. I would not fancy such a climb on a much heavier fat tyred MTB. On the steeper climbs, weight is everything.
Case proven, in my eyes at least :smile:

If your criterion is "It wasn't pretty, but I made it": good luck to you. I have no beef with everyone cycling in the way they choose.

There are many more people whose criterion is not "It wasn't pretty, but I made it " but "I enjoyed it". It is those people who are cut of from the joys of cycling in hilly countryside because they are sold bikes without low gears.

Having been around the bicycle industry at the time of their introduction, my understanding has always been that mountain bikes were invented primarily for going down mountains. Usually on unsurfaced forestry roads or off-road trails. Hence all the fat tyres and suspension forks. Of course to go down a mountain you have to first get up it, and rugged mountains tend to have bits of severe ‘up’, even on the way down. As bikers do not generally have access to things like ski lifts, this meant seriously low gears. The flat bar riding position however, is optimised for down rather than up, and for this reason a suitably geared road bike with drop bars may well be a better on road climber than a mountain bike. Climbing after all, is a big part of many road events.

si_c

Guru
When I got my new bike earlier this year, one of the criteria was low gears - I prefer to spin than grind - and for me a 34/28 or 34/32 are pretty much "standard" gearing these days rather than "low". I opted for a sub-compact chainset (48/32) and a big range cassette (11-34) which makes climbs rather more pleasurable, I may not go any quicker but I certainly tire slower. I reckon I could put an 11-36 on without any difficulty either.

I've definitely come round to the idea that a low gear is better, for some reason I used to think that going low was a sign of weakness. :wacko:

Venod

Eh up
I run a 46/36 with an 11/32 on the CX bike, I liked it that much that I put the same gearing on the winter bike, 46/11 is a bigger gear than 52/13 I used as a youngster.

si_c

Guru
Ooo that sounds nice. A range of 25" - 116".

Does work really really well, I tend to use a 12-25 cassette for commuting now, which gives me a nice close range, but the 34t cassette makes hills much much easier. I don't notice the missing top end too much either, I can spin up to 32mph, but beyond that I'm probably going downhill so I'll be freewheeling anyway.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Case proven, in my eyes at least :smile:

If your criterion is "It wasn't pretty, but I made it": good luck to you. I have no beef with everyone cycling in the way they choose.

There are many more people whose criterion is not "It wasn't pretty, but I made it " but "I enjoyed it". It is those people who are cut of from the joys of cycling in hilly countryside because they are sold bikes without low gears.
What on earth is stopping you fitting low gears to a road bike? With the right derailleur and chainrings you can match any ratios on a mountain bike. MTB's are supplied with low gears as standard because they are less efficient on climbs, a road bike with suitable gearing will always be quicker uphill than one simply because they are lighter, as in the case of my own which I quoted. I made it up on a relatively high bottom gear that would have had me walking on an MTB.

si_c

Guru
All these “low”gears sound high to me. My Audax bike has a triple & so bottom is 22x34. I make that 18” bottom gear.
Perhaps that’s why I’m slowing down.

18", damn. I've never lusted after something so small :hyper::laugh:

swansonj

Guru
What on earth is stopping you fitting low gears to a road bike? With the right derailleur and chainrings you can match any ratios on a mountain bike. MTB's are supplied with low gears as standard because they are less efficient on climbs, a road bike with suitable gearing will always be quicker uphill than one simply because they are lighter, as in the case of my own which I quoted. I made it up on a relatively high bottom gear that would have had me walking on an MTB.
What is stopping me? Nothing. My current bike (rohloff) was specified from new with a 19" gear; my previous bike (double derailleur) adapted to lower the gear to 20".

What is stopping your average punter who walks into a bike shop to buy a bike? The fact that they probably don't know what to insist on, and insist they will have to, because there won't be any road bike in stock with lower than a 1:1 if that, and the average bike shop attendant, like you, feels that anyone can get up any hill on that so why would you need lower?

I repeat: I have no problem at all with you or anyone else enjoying your cycling in whatever way gives you pleasure. I do have a big problem with people being put off cycling because macho, racing-derived attitudes are seen as normative.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I do Sutton Bank and Kilburn once or twice a year, and Garrowby more often since I live that side. Kilburn is a killer, even on a triple with 18” gear. Garrowby is nice and wide and a good ride on a fine early morning. Don’t much like coming down any of them - such descents would be great if there were no cars to think about. When I’m dictator my first edict will be National Bicycle Day when only bikes will be allowed on any road. And I’ll ride Sutton Bank the fun way.

Top Bottom