Sutton Bank

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
My date with destiny is mid-April. Keep me posted :smile:

Reckon you'll be first then, I've a few more 'gentle' hills to tackle first ^_^

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I tackled both Boltby & White Horse today :blush:
Both hills had me searching for my bottom gear 34/34 & Boltby needed a couple of rest stops :sad: (in my defence I did 100 mile hilly ride on Saturday & haven't recovered :laugh:) There was no shelter from the morning sun on the main drag up & it's fairly straight, so you can see it going up & up.
White Horse Bank was a much nicer climb, it zig zags up the hillside, so you can never see too much road in front of you, although the last right hander does seem to ramp up a little.
@EasyPeez you're carrying a lot less weight than me so might get up ok with your gearing :okay: Give it a go, what have you to lose ^_^

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I tackled both Boltby & White Horse today :blush:
Both hills had me searching for my bottom gear 34/34 & Boltby needed a couple of rest stops :sad: (in my defence I did 100 mile hilly ride on Saturday & haven't recovered :laugh:) There was no shelter from the morning sun on the main drag up & it's fairly straight, so you can see it going up & up.
White Horse Bank was a much nicer climb, it zig zags up the hillside, so you can never see too much road in front of you, although the last right hander does seem to ramp up a little.
@EasyPeez you're carrying a lot less weight than me so might get up ok with your gearing :okay: Give it a go, what have you to lose ^_^

Doing Botby with only a couple of stops is a good effort.

Me, @Julia9054, her partner Al, and my mate Steve were due to be joined by @EasyPeez for our last attempt.

He was poorly on the morning of the ride, so it was just the four of us who took part in what turned out to be something of a car crash of an ascent.

All of us were pushing at some point, I got the furthest, but so I should having an ebike.

There's a short stretch about three quarters of the way up which is just a bit sharper than the rest and which defeated me.

I'm then in the worst of all worlds, tired, cross, frustrated at not being able to keep going, and with a heavy ebike to push up the steepest part.

Boltby aside, it was a grand ride, taking in a the likes of Rievaulx and Byland abbeys, Ampleforth, and lots of pretty villages.

Has anyone ridden from the top of Boltby to Osmotherley?

It's marked as an NCN route.

I drove it once, 'up and down' only begins to describe it.

Nothing quite as steep as Boltby, but I lost count of the number of 20% plus gradients.

Last edited:

Julia9054

Guru
Me, @Julia9054, her partner Al, and my mate Steve were due to be joined by @EasyPeez for our last attempt.

He was poorly on the morning of the ride, so it was just the four of us who took part in what turned out to be something of a car crash of an ascent.

All of us were pushing at some point, I got the furthest, but so I should having an ebike.

There's a short stretch about three quarters of the way up which is just a bit sharper than the rest and which defeated me.

I'm then in the worst of all worlds, tired, cross, frustrated at not being able to keep going, and with a heavy ebike to push up the steepest part.
First Al's knees went, then my crap lungs, then Steve, then you! We were all cross and frustrated - the whole thing was hilarious in retrospect! @EasyPeez would have shown us all up.
A great ride nonetheless!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
First Al's knees went, then my crap lungs, then Steve, then you! We were all cross and frustrated - the whole thing was hilarious in retrospect! @EasyPeez would have shown us all up.
A great ride nonetheless!

I agree with you - and @Soltydog - about @EasyPeez.

He's probably the best climber I've ridden with, having that handy combination of fitness and lightness.

I would back him to get up Boltby.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I might do White Horse Bank at the weekend. We're going to be camping up there next week. :okay:

Tight Git

Veteran
@Pale Rider

Apologies for the 2 year delay in replying! Yes it is a nice ride from the top of Boltby Bank to Osmotherley but it is off road and rocky in places so not really suitable for a road bike - it's fine on a hybrid with 32 tyres.

For anyone around this area I would recommend the tea shop at High Paradise Farm which is about 1 mile from the junction at the top, along the track towards Osmotherley.

HTH

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
@Pale Rider

Apologies for the 2 year delay in replying! Yes it is a nice ride from the top of Boltby Bank to Osmotherley but it is off road and rocky in places so not really suitable for a road bike - it's fine on a hybrid with 32 tyres.

For anyone around this area I would recommend the tea shop at High Paradise Farm which is about 1 mile from the junction at the top, along the track towards Osmotherley.

HTH

Another delayed reply.

I didn't make it entirely clear, but I was referring to the road route, having said I'd only driven it in the car.

I'm guessing the track would have less climbing because I expect you tend to keep more of the elevation.

The track crosses the road climb of Boltby a little way before the summit.

You can only see a few yards of it in either direction, but it does look enticing.

We took the first right road turn after the summit and headed to Helmsley for some much needed sustenance.

DRM

Guru
Average grade 11.5%, much tougher climbs out there.
Don't forget the sharp turns, they bring you to a halt regardless of the average gradient, there may be steeper climbs out there, but the tight twists and turns are down right evil in a car, never mind on a bike, caravans aren't banned for nothing, many an HGV have come unstuck too

Top Bottom